4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2006 12:47 PM by lessthanchad

    Merged Context Sensitive Help

    lessthanchad
      Hello all,

      I'm using RoboHelp HTML on RoboHelp X5.0.2 and generating .chm output.

      I currently have a merged master project with several slave projects and am trying to add context sensitive help. So after I add the map IDs into the slave projects and recompile everything, are those map IDs merged into the master project? In other words, when I call the master help file from the application, will the master help file still recognize the slave map IDs? If not, does anyone know a way to make merged context sensitive help work?

      Thanks,
      Chad
        • 1. Re: Merged Context Sensitive Help
          Level 2
          Chad,

          Try this link - Helpware. Step 4 refers to context sensitive help.

          John
          • 2. Re: Merged Context Sensitive Help
            lessthanchad Level 1
            Hi John, thanks for the reply. Apologies for the length of this post....

            I am trying one of the solutions you pointed me to, Solution #1 outlined here. Has anyone gotten this solution to work? I am having some trouble...

            I have setup a test master and slave project, along with a test visual basic application to test this solution. The context sensitive call works for the call to the topic in the master file, so I know my visual basic code is correct. However, when I make a context sensitive call to the topic in the slave file, nothing happens.

            Additionally, I added an alert to the beginning of the javascript and have confirmed that the javascript never gets called.

            Therefore, I believe it has something to do with the .hhp file, which is as follows:

            [OPTIONS]
            Compiled File=Master.chm
            Title=Master
            Contents File=Master.hhc
            Index File=Master.hhk
            Default topic=Welcome.htm
            Default Window=NewWindow
            Error log file=
            Display compile progress=No
            Display compile notes=No
            Full-text search=Yes
            Binary Index=Yes
            Auto Index=No
            Enhanced decompilation=No
            Binary TOC=No
            Flat=No

            [WINDOWS]
            NewWindow="Master","Master.hhc","Master.hhk","","",,,,,0x40080420,0,0x3006,[5,5,512,384],0 x0,0x0,,0,0,0

            [FILES]
            Welcome.htm
            redirect.htm
            eHelp.xml
            RoboHHRE.lng

            Master.glo
            Master.brs
            [ALIAS]
            #include Master.ali
            Slave1Topic1=redirect.htm#Slave1Topic1

            [MAP]
            #include BSSCDefault.h

            #define Slave1Topic1 1

            [TEXT POPUPS]
            BSSCDefault.h

            [MERGE FILES]
            Slave_2.chm
            Slave_1.chm
            Slave_2.chm
            Slave_1.chm

            Does anyone have any idea if anything is wrong with this? I've been looking at this since yesterday and I'm stumped. Of course I'd be willing to send anyone my test projects, but I think it has something to do with this .hpp file. Any help is greatly appreciated.

            -Chad
            • 3. Re: Merged Context Sensitive Help
              Pete Lees Level 2
              Chad,

              I can't see anything that is obviously wrong in the .hhp file, so can only assume that the redirect file is somehow at fault.

              I've previously got this method to work and would be happy to take a look at your test project.

              Pete
              • 4. Re: Merged Context Sensitive Help
                lessthanchad Level 1
                With Pete's help I finally figured this out.

                Pete mentioned that:
                "What the Helpware site doesn't explain is that the ALIAS section of the .hhp file must contain at least one bookmark-free reference to the redirect.htm file; if every redirect line in the section has a bookmark appended to it then the context help call will fail. So to fix the problem, I added the following two lines to your .hhp file:

                [ALIAS]
                Dummy_Unused=redirect.htm
                ...

                [MAP]
                #define Dummy_Unused 0
                ...

                "