6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 7:43 PM by noah's house of pancakes

Removing DV artifacts

noah's house of pancakes

what do you recommend to remove artifacts from dv compression (AVCHD) - something in premiere, after effects or a 3rd party plug in?

• 1. Re: Removing DV artifacts
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> what do you recommend to remove artifacts from dv compression (AVCHD) - something in premiere, after effects or a 3rd party plug in?

First, your question contains an important error: DV compression is a very specific kind of compression, and it's not the kind of compression used in AVCHD media.

But, I'll assume that what you're really asking is the more general question of how to remove the block artifacts that come along with all MPEG-based compression methods.

The answer depends on how bad the artifacts are and how good you need the results to be.

For example, if you're trying to remove blockiness just so that you can pull a better blue-screen key from the footage, you can just use Channel Blur and blur the blue channel, since the worst blockiness is in the blue channel.

If you need something better than that, then tell us what your requirements are and show a screenshot of the footage that you're dealing with.

• 2. Re: Removing DV artifacts
            Jim_Simon Level 8

My best recommendation is to not shoot in AVCHD.  It's a fine delivery format, but not the best source media format.  Ideally you want an I-frame only codec (like DV was for standard definition) with sufficient bitrate to record the high definition frame without glaring artifacts.  Currently, there is only one proper HD codec out there, AVC-Intra.  And only Panasonic cameras have it.

• 3. Re: Removing DV artifacts
              noah's house of pancakes Level 1

The jaggies are all over the place and noticeable. These are football highlight reels and I'm just trying to get a better quality  DVD output. Blu Ray looks great - it's the damn SD DVDs. Is there an easy plug-in that will clean this up?

• 4. Re: Removing DV artifacts

Not helpful dude. I do shoot with a Sony camera that uses AVCHD

• 5. Re: Removing DV artifacts
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

What AVCHD format are you shooting, e.g. framerate, etc.? What bitrate are you using, both in the source files and in the MPEG2 output?

• 6. Re: Removing DV artifacts

29.97 framerate

8bitrate

i have tried different settings for the output in Encore, but no improvement. Would love to find an easy fix like a plug in