4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 5:14 PM by Peter Spier

Can't print, won't print.

Bumbler101

I'm trying to convert an 8-page brochure into a PDF (via print), but it brickwalls me each time at around page 5. I get the following error message:

Obviously, I'm not finding this particularly helpful. Can anyone offer any advice?

• 1. Re: Can't print, won't print.
          Bumbler101 Level 1

Ok, so my screenshot didn't come through in the message. The message says "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem."

This is the message that I'm not finding helpful. Help. Please.

• 2. Re: Can't print, won't print.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To embed a screen shot into a post you must use the camera icon in the inline editor on the web page:

CameraIcon.png

What version of ID? Waht OS?  And why are you printing to PDF instead of Exporting?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can't print, won't print.
              Bumbler101 Level 1

Thanks for the screenshot tip. I was using a third party application (ScreenHunter) and although it showed up while I was typing the original post, it didn't come through once I'd posted it. But it's not necessary anyway, because it was just a window with the text detailed above.

I'll answer your last question first - why am I printing instead of exporting? A combination of force of habit and sheer ignorance. As it happens, I've just tried exporting it and it worked, so thanks very much.

This effectively renders your first question obsolete, but I'll answer it anyway. OS is Windows 7 and ID version is CS5.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Can't print, won't print.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you want to track down the problem, try printing half of the document at a time, then break the ahlf that doesn't print in half, and so on until you isolate the page, then start removing objects until you find the one that ID doesn't like. That said, the recommended method is to export the PDF.