18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 9:42 AM by coolamazer11

What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?

coolamazer11

Hi,

I would like to know what all I would need to learn and which extra plugins I would need to buy to achieve these effects (Looking mainly to do the text effects and all the in video transitions)

I already have After effects Cs4.

http://youtu.be/tIPLTiKAQTo

The reason why I am asking this in particular is because I will be doing only these kind of effects and nothing more. So I neednt waste time learning things I will probably never use.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll need to know all about AE's 3D space, animating camera moves, blend modes, lights, shadows, material options, and just a few of the basic plug-ins. You will need to know about keying, light wrap, text animations, compression, rendering . . .

I guess what I'm saying is don't expect to pull off that kind of video without getting a very good understanding of the basics of AE and a few of the more advanced features. When you want to pull off an effect carefully analyze each element of the shot. Usually everything that you see is a separate layer. The pictures in the frames are a separate layer. The frames are separate layers, the shadows fall on a separate layer, the reflections are a separate layer. Even the back light on the actor may be a separate layer.

Once you have figured that part out, then it's a simple matter of setting some keyframes and making some adjustments. I can't point you to a single tutorial that will go over all of these things but I'd probably start with the biggest effect in the sample - keying. You'll have to learn how to shoot for keying, how to light for keying, and then how to remove the background.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
            bogiesan Level 4

> So I neednt waste time learning things I will probably never use.<

The perpetrator of those rapid video blogs has a staff. They light him, they shoot him, someone builds the effects, someone edits, someone assembles, someone has invested a huge amount of effort to create a way of printing money. There is also a large nod to stylized effects popular in the last two decades of the 20th Century so you're also dealing with researchers, designers and someone understands marketing.

Rick's list of things to know is complete. You cannot hope to replicate these effects without a deep and thorough grounding in everything After Effects does. There are no shortcuts to learning and applying the functions of an application as deep and as copmplex as After Effects.

However, that same guy who is selling that system must be selling a series of precanned effects and transitions. Buying them from him would be easier, faster and cheaper in than trying to learn how to use After Effects just to copy an existing look and feel.

Me, I've been using AE for a long time and I'm still learning how to do things I already knew how to do.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

So I neednt waste time learning things I will probably never use.

Then you won't make it very far - in any profession. Even a plumber needs to at least know how to fix gas plumbing even if he may be doing 99% of the time water lines. As David said - there are no shortcuts, least of all with complex software applications. In fact just learning one way to do things must not teach you the best possible way at all. You could learn a whole lot of things just by dabbling around and discover ways you hadn't even thought were possible before...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                coolamazer11 Level 1

The best part is that I am not worried about getting the background effect because, that's done by lighting. I can do that. it's very simple. Just over expose a white background with strong flourascent lighting. That's how the person is doing in that video. He shares most tips, but these animation and effects are outsourced. So he cant share the details.

The only thing I want to know is how to get the effetcs like the text animations, the pictures moving around in the left when the person is talking, his name being displayed below, and so on.

The reason why I said I dont want to learn everything is because I do not wish to spend many hours learning something that is not going to be my main business. Of course, after sometime, I may outsource it, but intitially I would like to do it myself to save some money.

I know that without learning the basics it's not possible. However after effects is more powerful than what the video does. I am not sure what all it can do, but probably a lot of things that I wont be needing.

Another thing I have found is videohive.net where I can buy AE templates for cheap when I require some advanced customization. There are some good templates there.

Another question. How log do you think (on an average), an experienced AE user might take to edit a raw video to achieve these effects? Maybe if I can outsource these videos or get an AE template created for my use, I can save money and time.

• 5. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?

Your example is probably shot against white but it would look better and more professional if it's keyed well or at least rotoed so that the actor was in front of the graphics. Creating the text animations is a basic skill. Just Google search AE 3D tutorials.

To make the 3D frames create the artwork with shape layers, add a text layer, parent the text to the shape, make the layers 3D then animate.

The point is, if you don't understand how to make a keyframe, or turn on a 3D layer, or make a mask, or generate a gradient, make a shape layer, or use blend modes you'll not know how to produce these effects. If you don't know how to adjust color your composite will not look right. You need a few basics.

You ought to be able to easily avoid tutorials that teach you how to create explosions, add muzzel flashes, create particles, deform, create water effects, or any of the other zillion things you can do with AE. If you're looking for an exact step by step tutorial to recreate exactly these graphics you probably won't find one, but you'll be able to find tutorials on virtual sets, masking, and text animations. Good luck...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                    coolamazer11 Level 1

Thank you rick.

>Your example is probably shot against white but it would look better and more professional if it's keyed well or at least rotoed so that the actor was in front of the graphics.<

That would require green screen, chroma keying and such if I am not mistaken. Right now I would like to start off more simple and then later turn to advanced effects.

>You ought to be able to easily avoid tutorials that teach you how to create explosions, add muzzel flashes, create particles, deform, create water effects, or any of the other zillion things you can do with AE<

Yes. Most of the tutorials I encountered teach most of these advanced tactics which i wont be using and hence the question i raised here.

> If you're looking for an exact step by step tutorial to recreate exactly these graphics you probably won't find one, but you'll be able to find tutorials on virtual sets, masking, and text animations. Good luck...<

I have already started learning the basics.

A quick question. When I import my video it wont render in real time when I press space. It seems like fast forward. The tutorial I was following did not have any issues when the person imported the video. However, the video I took and imported does have issues.

I have a Core 2 Duo system with 4 GB ram. Has it got anything to do with hardware or might it be with the format? I tried mov and m4v (Mp4)> both seems to have issues

• 7. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                      bogiesan Level 4

> A quick question. When I import my video it wont render in real time when I press space. It seems like fast forward. The tutorial I was following did not have any issues when the person imported the video. However, the video I took and imported does have issues.<

This is not a quick question.

bogiesan

• 8. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?

The space bar is not for previewing. Use the . on the Numeric Keypad or press the preview button in the Preview Panel. AE must render frames before they can be previewed in real time. The length of the preview depends on available ram and frame size and preview resolution. These are the most basic of basics.

• 9. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                          TimeRemapper Level 4

Use the . on the Numeric Keypad or press the preview button in the Preview Panel.

I think Rick meant to say press "0" on the numeric keypad.

• 10. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?

oops   fingers moving faster than my mind....  Press 0

• 11. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

coolamazer11 wrote:

I tried mov and m4v (Mp4)> both seems to have issues

There's a good reason for that, and it goes back to some basic knowledge that was essential when using AE9 -- know your codecs and what they can and can't do.  For a while, it was such a common lament on the Creative COW, I composed a copy 'n paste answer:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information.  However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information.  Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless.  I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

• 12. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                                coolamazer11 Level 1

I have a canon 550D which records in full HD and mov format. Do you think I should import the huge file as it is into AE, then edit it and after applying all effects and getting final output, resize or format for the web?

• 13. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                                  coolamazer11 Level 1

Also, is it possibel to create some sort of template or any re usable animation pre set so that if I get someone to create it, then I can re use it?

Maybe one template for the text with all the effects, one template for the images with the effect and so on which I can insert into videos and just change text/images to re use them on multiple videos.

I am not sure about what the naming convention is for such a set up. Maybe animation preset?

• 14. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?

You're getting into learning more about AE...

Unless there's a specific reason for reducing the frame size of the original footage I always work at maximum resolution. IOW, Don't resize your 550D footage unless you can come up with a really good reason to do so.

Lets now talk about output for the web. This part can be confusing:

I output all of my footage for the web at 720p or what I like to call web HD. It's plenty big this year and it's the standard for YouTube HD right now and that's my primary video server. I render those movies either with Apple's Compressor or with the Adobe Media Encoder. This means the size of the original footage is reduced from 1080 to 720 and if the original was interlaced (1080i), I remove the interlacing. In some cases, and with some After Effects projects the best option is to nest the original composition in a 720p comp, but in most I stick with the original 1080 frame size. In some cases I stick with the original frame rate, in others I convert. In projects that may require further color correction or additional processing I always render a 10 bit or higher lossless compression master from After Effects using the Render Cue. If the project is only destined for the web then, most of the time, I don't render in After Effects at all. I use the Adobe Media Encoder. You can import Premiere Pro or After Effects directly into the AME and render directly to highly compressed formats with a tool that's designed to do that job. On the rare occasion that a project requires the full system resources to effectively render or that a project is going to require extra special care compressing to an MPEG stream, I'll render to the lossless 10 bit codec in AE and then compress with a 3rd party compressor like Squeeze.

The only way to know what workflow to use is to understand how AE's rendering engine works, how compression works, how various codecs effect the quality and usability of the footage, and what is going to happen to the project in the future. Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all solution to the problem.

Now let's talk about animation presets. These are what I'd call AE Basics. A preset is something everyone using AE should know how to use and to create. The procedure is very simple. To use you select the footage layer and choose Apply Animation Preset from the menu. To modify you press UU with the layer selected to reveal all of the expressions and or keyframes the preset generates and then you edit. To create you apply effects and/or animation to a single layer then press UU to reveal all properties that have been changed or animated, select all of those properties in the timeline and choose Save Animation Preset.

There you go.

• 15. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

coolamazer11 wrote:

I have a canon 550D which records in full HD and mov format.

"Mov" is not a format.  It simply indicates that it's a quicktime movie, which is a media container that can contain files encoded and decoded in a wide variety of ways.  They're called codecs.  You ought to look up the term "codec" in wikipedia; I tried to provide a link, but it didn't work for me.

Your camera encodes quicktimes in the H.264 codec.  It's just barely passable as an image acquisition codec.  It stinks on ice as a codec for effects work.  As you may have learned by now, H.264 is also toxic to AE9.  You should follow the advice in my earlier post.

If you like wasting a lot of time, effort and storage space you should use the workflow you propose.  If you want to be more efficient, you should edit your footage BEFORE you do AE work.  There are all kinds of editing applications availble,  Adobe makes one: Premiere Pro.  It would also be a good time during to resize it.

• 16. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                                        coolamazer11 Level 1

Unless there's a specific reason for reducing the frame size of the original footage I always work at maximum resolution. IOW, Don't resize your 550D footage unless you can come up with a really good reason to do so.

My content is 100% for the web. I will be creating just one or two videos in 720P (For streaming via amazon S3 and cloudfront) and the rest in 480P (For youtube).

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all solution to the problem.

I understand. My case is pure youtube and web videos. So I guess I should follow the below scenario

--> Shoot in Full HD.

-->Import the full HD to some video editing program and perform trimming as required

--> Import trimmed full HD to AE.

--> Apply the required effects (similar to the ones I showed in the video in my first post).

--> Import it in Adobe Media Encoder and Resize it to 480p or 720p as per the requirement and render.

--> Follow the above 4 procedures for the opener video (I have spotted a very good opener AE template for videohive.net)

--> Take the output videos and then stitch them together using a software like sony vegas or some video editing software and join them

--> Render the output video

Does the above procedure seem good?

A preset is something everyone using AE should know how to use and to create.

I tried some text animation presets. Worked out fine. Going to learn some more on this.

There you go.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If you like wasting a lot of time, effort and storage space you should use the workflow you propose.  If you want to be more efficient, you should edit your footage BEFORE you do AE work.

How about the work flow I mentioned above?

There are all kinds of editing applications availble,  Adobe makes one: Premiere Pro.

I took a look at it. It seems too costly. I think I will go with Sony Vegas

• 17. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

coolamazer11 wrote:

Also, is it possibel to create some sort of template or any re usable animation pre set so that if I get someone to create it, then I can re use it?

Maybe one template for the text with all the effects, one template for the images with the effect and so on which I can insert into videos and just change text/images to re use them on multiple videos.

You know, after all this discussion about "can I use templates",  "I don't need the basics", "I'm thinking about outsourcing", I really don't think your heart is into putting in the work that's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for success in After Effects.  You seem more like an entrepreneur to me. 

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet, find a local AE artist and hire it done.  Consider it a business expense.

• 18. Re: What All Should I Learn To Achieve These Effects?
                                            coolamazer11 Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

You know, after all this discussion about "can I use templates",  "I don't need the basics", "I'm thinking about outsourcing", I really don't think your heart is into putting in the work that's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for success in After Effects.  You seem more like an entrepreneur to me. 

You are right in almost everything other than "I dont need the basics". I never told that.

I just wanted to know what all things I need to give stress to.

Dave LaRonde wrote:

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet, find a local AE artist and hire it done.  Consider it a business expense.

Yes, I will do that in the future. But for now, I need to learn this. I need to learn the bare minimum to get things done. That's it.