6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 4:08 AM by tarynmary

HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template

tarynmary Level 1

Hi there

I have been asked to create a template proposal document for my company, one that the sales guys can edit very easily without too much trouble/complications.  I have used InDesign before but at a very basic level...so apologies for my HUGE ask...

The type of proposal document I would like to create is very similar to this in layout http://www.howdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/SampleProposal.pdf 

It needs autiomatic page numbering, but what I would really like to know is if there is a way to create the 'section 1.1.2' things automatically as well, with a new section (1.0 2.0 3.0)  to start on a brand new page and then just the subs sections to follow beneath it?  Hopefully that makes some sense.  The pdf doc in the link shows it if not. 

Also, I have been doing this very much the long way and manually in the past... but how can you have a text box/coloum/something that when it comes to the end will just continue on the following page - almost like how (excuse the example) Word would do it...?

If there is a much easier way of getting the result I would like, please share - be very much appreciated!! At the moment my document is just very clunky - there must be a quicker and easier way to create a template.

Many thanks in advance,

Taryn

• 1. Re: HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your numbering can probably be automated by using numbered lists, negative first line indents and substantial left indents in the paragraph styles. A keep option in the style should be able to get each major section to start on a new page. Peter Gold, if he'll jump in, is much better at describing how to work with lists than I am.

How are you getting the text into this document? If you are typing the whole thing, rather than placing a file, Smart Text Reflow is probably what you are looking for to automatically add pages.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template
            tarynmary Level 1

Thanks Peter for getting back to me!  I really am out of my depth here it seems... I will see how they want to input the text in, I think all drafts etc were just going to be done in Word or something similar first....but I will confirm.  In the meantime, I will see how I get on with the numbered lists and Smart Text Reflow.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template
              tarynmary Level 1

Right they've just come back with 'whatever is easiest and makes the work flow quicker...' but would prefer to input into something else before...

• 4. Re: HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's almost certaily going to be easiest for everyone if the tech writers, or whomever, writes this in Word first, then you place the document. The question then becomes how is the numbering handled (do they number stuff, or do you), and where do you get the header information.

My guess would be that the likely scenario is you'll get a completely numbered doc with the level "0" headings inline. Since those headings need to appear on multiple pages, my inclination would be to use a variable to pick them up from the style applied to that level heading, but that means that either you need a different master page for the first page of each section (without the variable, but a frame where you'll flow the header) and a second master with the variable in that space for following pages in the same section, or you'll need to make the heading "invisible" in some way in the running text so it can be picked up by the variable, but not appear a second time on the page.

There are really a number of different approaches for you to take here, and this is far from a simple project. It probably can be fully automated using scripting or XML (out of my league) or you can do a lot of manual labor. Do I think this is ever going to be within the scope of "I have been asked to create a template proposal document for my company, one that the sales guys can edit very easily without too much trouble/complications."? I would have to say no, but it really would depend on how skilled these guys are. If you set up a complete document with styles and styled placeholder text, you might have some success with having them paste in the repalcement text.

• 5. Re: HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

tarynmary wrote:

Hi there

I have been asked to create a template proposal document for my company, one that the sales guys can edit very easily without too much trouble/complications.  I have used InDesign before but at a very basic level...so apologies for my HUGE ask...

The type of proposal document I would like to create is very similar to this in layout http://www.howdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/SampleProposal.pdf 

It needs autiomatic page numbering, but what I would really like to know is if there is a way to create the 'section 1.1.2' things automatically as well, with a new section (1.0 2.0 3.0)  to start on a brand new page and then just the subs sections to follow beneath it?  Hopefully that makes some sense.  The pdf doc in the link shows it if not. 

Also, I have been doing this very much the long way and manually in the past... but how can you have a text box/coloum/something that when it comes to the end will just continue on the following page - almost like how (excuse the example) Word would do it...?

If there is a much easier way of getting the result I would like, please share - be very much appreciated!! At the moment my document is just very clunky - there must be a quicker and easier way to create a template.

Many thanks in advance,

Taryn

Hi, Taryn:

I was going to make a smarty comment on Peter Spiers' recommending me as a numbered-list guru, by saying something like, "Don't you just hate it when someone volunteers you for something because they think you're smarter than you really are?" Then, on reflection, I realized that that would be like asking for the opposite recommendation, namely being dumber than you really are. So thanks, Peter S., I think.

Yes, this IS a HUGE ask, even for an experienced InDesign user. Please understand that I'm not disparaging your asking - that's what these forums are for, i. e., sharing knowledge. I'm trying to say that there are a lot of intermediate and high-level InDesign skills you'll need to employ, so it's an ask of yourself to tackle and master them.

Seriously, about lists, you should start with a Google search for phrases like "InDesign numbered list tutorial," without quotes. You'll find many links to good material. InDesign's auto-numbered lists work as properties defined in paragraph styles. Peter S. noted that paragraph styles are the key to formatting the appearance and page-position behavior of text, as well as numbering. So, you'll find that a Google search for terms like "InDesign paragraph style tutorial," and "InDesign list number alignment," without quotes will also be helpful. The alignment issue comes up often on this forum. Aligning the numbers and text of paragraph styles that include numbered lists is one of the most confusing aspects. There have been many conversations on these forums about this, so the suggested search that includes "alignment," will help dig them out.

NOTE: Google search terms that include "InDesign" find content from these Adobe forums and InDesign's online help at the Adobe.com site, as well as from many reputable non-Adobe InDesign resources.

The page headers that pick up text from the main content on the pages can be created with InDesign's text variables. Search Google for terms like "InDesign running header tutorial," and "InDesign text variable tutorial," without quotes. However, InDesign's running header text variables cannot pick up the auto-numbers of paragraphs, so if you are a patient person, you could submit a feature enhancement request for this ability at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform, to add yourself to the many others who've requested it, then hope it comes in a future ID release.

Because so much of the example document consists of bulleted lists, numbered lists, nested lists, and combined numbered and bulleted lists - IOW, an outline structure - a Google search for phrases like "outline format document template tutorial," and "InDesign outline format document template tutorial," without quotes will find some good resources. Note that these two phrases are identical, except for the search word "InDesign." The search results differ somewhat.

Regarding the idea of "easy for non-proficient InDesign users to edit and modify," as you've no doubt already discovered, it's possible to make what you expect to be a modest change, and find that it affects many things, and can be confusing. Success in using templates depends on the users' skill level, and great documentation. After you develop what you think is a useful model, if you could create a demo how-to movie, your users will have a better chance of success. Consider recording a hands-on training session.

Also consider creating a PDF template example, like your sample here, and have your users mark it up with comments on printed mockups, or with comments made in full Acrobat, to indicate what text and pictures to where, so a skilled InDesign user can construct the documents from the markup, and the submitted text and graphics.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: HELP - don't know where to begin...creating proposal document template
                    tarynmary Level 1

Hi Peter

Thanks very much for youre reply - Im a bit dautned by it all now! but thanks very much - I'll most definately do some googling now I actualy know what I'm looking for!

Many thanks for your time guys - very much appreciated!

Taryn