5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 9:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Converting flv to AVI (Prem El 9 and Moyea)

MissMoppett Level 1

Last month I produced a short silent clip for uploading onto my website. I now wish to add a touch of classy music but find that Prem El 9 won't allow imported .flv files and I have lost the prel file. Hunting around these forums the advice seems to be to instal a flv converter - Moyea - which I did, then their sister suite to convert to avi, which I assume is the favoured format for Prem El. It seems simple and may have worked BUT there's a Watermark - which I can't really blame them for as it is a trial version.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

• 1. Re: Converting flv to AVI (Prem El 9 and Moyea)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Use Super Video Converter, using the specs in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317

Just don't expect perfect results. FLVs are among the worst video files to use as source video, even if you convert them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Converting flv to AVI (Prem El 9 and Moyea)
            MissMoppett Level 1

Thanks for that Steve. You're right, it was tricky to find the Super Vid download button and when I did I wish I hadn't.I've never come across a more intrusive package with myriads of trap defaults to avoid - installing unwanted browsers, games and Babylon translators. I thought I'd avoided them but see that a translation bar has attached itself to my Firefox browser. Any way it did convert my flv file but as you warned it was not worth the bother. I'm now going to spend the next hour deleting and reg cleaning out all that garbage.

May I humbly suggest you add a warning to your otherwise helpful page?

• 3. Re: Converting flv to AVI (Prem El 9 and Moyea)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry about those intrusions. I had not heard that Super had any additional payloads, but then have not used that converter. Thank you for the warnings.

As for Moyea, I have several of their products, but have used their FLV Importer for PrPro, most often, and loved it. However, I have to plead ignorant as to how, or even if, that plug-in works in PrE. I have also not used any of their stand-alone FLV converters, but if they work as well as that PrPro plug-in, they should be just fine. With PrPro CS 5, the program natively Imports most FLV's just fine, but for some, there might still be a need for a plug-in. FLV, like AVI, can contain several different CODEC's, so because some FLV's Import natively, does not mean that ALL will. CODEC's can get very confusing.

Since you have one of the Moyea programs, what was the issue with FLV to AVI (DV-AVI is what one should be converting to, if at all possible)? It might just be a setting in the Moyea program.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Converting flv to AVI (Prem El 9 and Moyea)
                MissMoppett Level 1

1     Getting rid of the Babylon toolbar and unwanted hangers-on took 2 hrs. If you go to FFox Help you'll see I am not alone. I had to delete FFox and reinstall and it was STILL there. I forget now what I had to do to get rid of it.

2     It converted the FLV but colours were amended and it left a watermark making it unusable. Steve's Super Vid possibly made a worse job of colour cast so I gave it the heave-ho.

• 5. Re: Converting flv to AVI (Prem El 9 and Moyea)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, the watermark will be from your Moyea program being a trial, and not the full-paid version.

As for the colo(u)rs, did you choose DV-AVI as the output? As there are so very many possibilities for an AVI, some of the CODEC's might do a poor job in some areas. For instance, CODEC's, like DivX, do not have good color handling, due to the extreme compression used - some data has to be thrown away. DV-AVI is low compression, and usually has good color retention - usually.

Good luck,

Hunt