7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 12:29 PM by Todd_Kopriva

.ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge

KLTV8 Level 1

Asked this in the Bridge forum and it was suggested to ask here:

I am running CS5.5 on a Mac (10.6.8) and when I want to preview an After Effects text animation preset or project template, Bridge opens and I can click through the various presets/templates, but when they play, there is no preview...only a playhead that moves when I click the play button and the file name:

For example:

1.jpg

I have the .ffx and .aet files on my hard drive where the installer put them.  Any thoughts as to why the previews don't show up in Bridge?

I am new to Bridge and thus far only use it for this purpose...

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

• 1. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Any thoughts as to why the previews don't show up in Bridge?

Because something is wrong with your Quicktime. Check its settings and possibly reinstall it.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
            KLTV8 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Mylenium.

I'm a bit unsure of what QT settings I am supposed to check.  There are no "Preferences" under the "File" menu.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Jonathan

• 3. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

I seem to recall that Adobe's Todd Kopriva wrote something that said not all the text animation presets could be viewed in Bridge.  I don't recall WHY, only that seeing such things in Bridge can sometimes be a crap shoot.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Has this ever worked? The preview is an embedded animated gif. There used to be a tutorial somewhere about how to do that. I don't have a link. Maybe someone else remembers.

• 5. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding Dave's comment and implicit question:

As Rick sugegsted, the animation presets that have previews have been specially built to include them. The previews are embedded movies (FLV files, if I recall correctly).

Clearly, the player that Bridge is relying on has encountered a problem playing these movies. I'm no expert on Bridge, so I don't know why this would be the case.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
                    KLTV8 Level 1

Thanks Dave and Todd...

Todd:  Before I upgraded from AE CS5 to the Production CS5.5 suite, I was able to view both the text animations and the template presets.  While upgrading, there was an additional download of AE CS5.5 content (templates, I believe).  After installing those is when I could not view either the templates or the text animations. 

So now my question threefold: 1.  If the previews are embedded files, can I view them somewhere else (are they in my hard drive...if so, where)? 2.  If my QT player is encountering a problem as you and Mylenium state, how do I fix it?  3.  In previous versions of AE, you could bring up a web-help page that showed all the animations...how do I get there now?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jonathan

• 7. Re: .ffx and .aet previews/presets not playing in Bridge
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> In previous versions of AE, you could bring up a web-help page that showed all the animations...how do I get there now?

It's gone.

> If the previews are embedded files, can I view them somewhere else (are they in my hard drive...if so, where)?

No. The previews are built into the animation preset files.

>If my QT player is encountering a problem as you and Mylenium state, how do I fix it?

I don't know. As I said, I am no Bridge expert. This seems like a question for the folks on the Bridge forum. Yes, I know that you said that they pointed you here, but this is an issue with a media player built into Bridge, and that is outside of the scope of After Effects.

If you want a better answer, I recommend contacting Adobe Technical Support:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

Be sure to specify that it's a Bridge issue when you call, so that you get routed to the right folks.