5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 4:32 PM by kglad

Slower and slower over time

JeffKershner

I have a dashboard I created using Flash CS5 using CS5.5 and ActionScript 3.  It seems that while this dashboard is running, the FPS gets slower and slower over time (over several hours).  I am thinking that I might have a memory leak but I am not sure how to find out.

The project is a Flash Projector exe that loads 8 independent swfs.

Each swf file essentially calls a  web service and gets XML data.  They then dynamically create a bunch of TextFields, assigns an event listener (Event.ENTER_FRAME) and animates across the screen. 

When the TextField goes off the screen, I clean up the Text field by removing the EventListener, removing the TextField and setting the TextField to null.

I am new to flash.  What might I be doing wrong?  Any suggestions where to look?

thanks,

--Jeff

• 1. Re: Slower and slower over time
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the most common problem causing that (and requiring hours for the problem to become appreciable) is creating an increasing number of objects and failing to gc unneeded objects.

• 2. Re: Slower and slower over time
            JeffKershner Level 1

This is what I believe is happening.  I don't see what I might not be freeing.  I remove all event listeners and remove the TextFields from the display list.  Is there anything else I need to do?

Currently I am displaying the frame rate.  I see a frame rate starting at 30 and going down to 8 after several hours.

I also just started to display the memory:

tf.text = Number( System.totalMemory / 1024 / 1024 ).toFixed( 2 ) +' Mb';

I am interested to see if when the FPS goes down to < 10, if the memory is much larger.

Are there any tools that might help debug what might be happening?

• 3. Re: Slower and slower over time

i don't know of any tools that will help you pinpoint the problem.  but you need to do more than just remove objects from the display list and remove listeners:  you need to null all object references.

• 4. Re: Slower and slower over time
                JeffKershner Level 1

Yeah, like I said in my original post:

When the TextField goes off the screen, I clean up the Text field by removing the EventListener, removing the TextField and setting the TextField to null.

If you have any other suggestions, point them my way.  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Slower and slower over time

again, that's not necessarily enough:  you need to null ALL object references.

if you did that all that, your objects would eventually be gc'd long before your app started to slow.