19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 10:03 PM by LeoAdobeX

adobearm.exe error Checking for updates

Brian Klish

Capture.JPG

I'm getting this error when Adobe Reader 10.1.1 checks for updates.  Since it checks automatically this pops up on it's own when you view a PDF.  It will also do it if you check for updates using the help menu.  Running Windows 7 Enterprise x64.  It's also happening on at least one other computer in our organization.  I've searched all over, but I'm not finding much on it.  I've even gone so far as to run procmon to see if I can see where it's trying to read that it's getting an access denied, but that didn't return anything helpful.  Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Can you please check the following:

1. This file exist

2. Has valid Adobe digital signature

3. What is the version of the file?

4. What type of User are you (Admin, Standard? Guest?  Is UAC On? )

5. How you are viewing PDF? In Browser or Stand alone?

6. If you simply double click on the file, do you see the same error?

7 HOw you installed Reader 10.1.1, from Adobe web site?

• 2. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
            Brian Klish Level 1

1.  adobearm.exe does exist in the location the error states.  Interesting it shows an older date on it.  Not sure it's getting uninstalled with reader each time.  maybe I should delete the arm folder manually when I uninstall and try to reinstall?

2. it has a valid digital signature from Adobe.

3. 1.5.5.0

4. I am admin, but UAC is on.  I had also tried running reader as admin, but it made no difference.

5. Doesn't matter if you open stand alone pdf or in browser.  You will get the error either way.  Without the help menu in the browser I can't manually check for updates, but it appears to check automatically because it will error on it's own when viewing an online pdf.

6. Yes double-clicking on a file you get the error.  It's not immediate though.  There is a delay before it automatically checks for updates it looks like.  Once it does you get the error.  I assume it's the checking for updates automatically that causes this anyway since it's the same error when I manually check for updates.  I supposed it could be a different problem that produces the same error.

7. originally I installed it via the enterprise download package.  I customize the installer using "Adobe Customization Wizard X".  When I discovered the problem I rebuilt the package and reinstalled.  Didn't help.  I then reinstalled using the default Enterprise package with no customization.  Didn't help.  I then installed off the website.  Didn't help.

• 3. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
              LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Thank you for the info,

Here is what I would suggest to try-

1. Delete AdobeARM.log, ArmUI.ini files from User Temp folder

2. Stop AdobeARMservice - you can open Task Manager, switch to Processes Tab, click "Show Processes from all Users", which will elevate Task Manager, switch to Services Tab and stop AdobeARMservice . Or open Service Manager using Control Panel....

2. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0

3. Repair Adobe Reader using Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features. This should install back all Updater files.

4.Set Vebose logging by adding iLogLevel DWORD value to 1 in the Updater registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\1.0\ARM

5. Open PDF and wait for Updater to start. If error is still there, please provide AdobeARM.log file from User Temp folder.

• 4. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                Brian Klish Level 1

the adobearm.log was there, but the ArmUI.ini file wasn't in the user temp folder.  After following your steps it did not recreate the adobearm.log file (or ArmUI.ini).  I noticed the service wasn't running after the repair either.  I started the service manually and tried again, but it still didn't create the file.

• 5. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                  LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Can you please right click on AdobeARM.exe, switch to Security Tab and check permissions for the User and Admin?

They both need to have Execute permission available, like in the image below-

New Bitmap Image.jpg

• 6. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                    Brian Klish Level 1

Yeah I had looked at those previously.  Users is Read/Execute and Administrators is Full Controll.

• 7. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                      LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

If you Google for the error text, you will find many different suggestion on how to fix the issue.

There is no single solution and it would be too much effort to list all of them here.

When you find the one that worked for you, please post it on the forum.

Good luck

• 8. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                        Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi Brian,

As stated by LeoAdobeX, could you please try the following steps (again):

1. Delete the file AdobeARM_NotLocked.log, AdobeARM.log and ARMUI.ini if they exist in the user temp folder.

2. Delete the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0

3. Repair Adobe Reader from within the Programs/Features section in the Control Panel

4. Launch Adobe Reader and click on Help > Check for Updates

Does the error replicate?

Also, could you please let me know if you are using a roaming profile?

Ankit

• 9. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                          Brian Klish Level 1

none of those files existed.  Followed the rest of the steps, but still getting the error.

• 10. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                            Brian Klish Level 1

LeoAdobeX wrote:

If you Google for the error text, you will find many different suggestion on how to fix the issue.

There is no single solution and it would be too much effort to list all of them here.

When you find the one that worked for you, please post it on the forum.

Good luck

I googled quite a bit before coming here and posting.  Unfortunately I was not able to find a solution.

• 11. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                              Brian Klish Level 1

Almost every goole result on this error is about someone posting their Hijack This or MBAM scan logs.  Google returns an amazingly large amount of these results that don't appear to be related to my problem at all.  I did find someone else with the problem, but no solution provided.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3607877?tstart=1

• 12. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Could you please provide a screenshot for the Security Properties of the AdobeARM.exe file for each of the Administrators, SYSTEM and the User/Power Users.

I guess as Leo suspected, the issue that you are facing is because of the fact that you dont have permissions on the said file.

• 14. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                  Brian Klish Level 1

Thank you for your reply, but there is no chance I will purchase anything to fix this.  I will replace Adobe Reader across the enterprise with Foxit before that happens.  Every time I see the error pop up on my screen I get a step closer.

• 15. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                    Brian Klish Level 1

I found that Revo Uninstaller Pro had a fully functioning trial period so I gave it a try.  It did not fix the issue.

• 16. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                      thomas.gagnon

We're getting this error intermittently across our enterprise (700+ users).

We've given users Full Control and deleted/let Reader re-create the .exe, with no success.

• 17. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                        Brian Klish Level 1

Ouch.  For me it's not nearly as big a deal.  No idea what caused it, but it's something in the image.  The only people that use this particular image is myself and the other IT guy here.  If I rebuilt the image it would fix it I'm sure of it.  All our users are on different images and ours is the only one that has this problem.  It's pretty annoying, but utlimately I've got too many apps installed/configured that aren't part of the image.  Would be a pain to install/configure all my apps if I didn't absolutely have to.  Just takes too much time.

• 18. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                          Brian Klish Level 1

Happens on a 64-bit OS.  This was the fix:

1. Make the following directory: c:\program files\common files\adobe
                                          2. Copy the c:\program files (x86)\common files\adobe\ARM folder (and all its subfolders) to c:\program files\Common Files\Adobe
                                          • 19. Re: adobearm.exe error Checking for updates
                                            LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Thanks for posting the solution Brian,

Do you happen to know if Reader on those systems is running in Protected Mode?

It is a check box setting under Edit\Preferences\Security (enhanced) view.