3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 10:25 AM by Dov Isaacs

Linking

Hardy_01

Good Morning!

Everytime I press Cntrl + D to link a photo in my brochure, my computer freezes and I have to shut down the program completely.  Does anyone know what may be causing this?  My program worked just fine yesterday.  I have already done a shut down on my computer to see if it needed any updates installed.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Linking
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

One possibility is that the last time you placed an item, you were accessing either a network share that is no longer connected or possibly either a removeable disk drive (such as a USB thumb drive) that has been removed is waiting to rev-up (the latter is most likely). The “open” dialog used by the place operation is trying to access that drive and both the application and Windows Explorer are awaiting either device ready or a timeout. I suspect that if you waited a few additional minutes, the hang condition would clear and the dialog box would default to Documents or Computer.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Linking
            Hardy_01 Level 1

Thank you for the information.  All the photos that I am linking are on my computer, I am not currently accessing a network share or a USB.  I have tried waiting for the program to clear whatever it is that its waiting on, but after 15 min, I got a little impatient and hit the Cntrl-ALT-Delete and ended the program.  I am having some luck with just dragging the phots from the folder they are in into a frame box in my program.  Why would that route work and not the Cntrl+D?

• 3. Re: Linking
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

The issue is likely not where your photos currently are located and where you are trying to get them from, but rather, whether there is some location that you may have accessed recently, possibly from another program, that no longer exists or is mounted.

Fifteen minutes certainly exceeds normal timeout on that type of situation.

At this point, I would recommend that you attempt to reset the InDesign program preferences. See <http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407987.html> for detailed information on how to do this.

- Dov