5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2011 10:53 PM by johnnyfriday

Accurate Color Reference Monitor, any need for a SDI/HDMI I/O card with Premiere Pro?

Keith Moreau Level 1

I'm on a Mac Pro with CS 5.5.1, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Apple Cinema 30" and Asus Proart 24"

I have heard from various sources that because Premiere Pro 5.x conversion from YUV to RGB is guaranteed accurate, that you can now plug a RGB monitor into your Mac and be assured that you will be seeing accurate colors, with the caveat that you are using a monitor that can support accurate color and it's calibrated.

I have also heard an opposite opinion that a separate I/O card or conversion box, such as those from AJA, Blackmagic, or Matrox as well as a good monitor with a good HDMI or SDI input are required for anything but 'web video.'

I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which right now is removed from my computer. The few times I used it I found it to be extremely flakey with Premiere Pro and had requirements such as having to create specific BlackMagic codec sequences in order to play out. Perhaps my experience has clouded my opinion of all cards but I would rather simplify if there isn't a difference and not use a special card for this.

So far I've tried using the "Playback to external device" option in the Program Monitor to display a 'raw' video in 1080P on my second RGB monitor using DVI/Display port and it plays well and looks good.

So, am I being naive here?

• 1. Re: Accurate Color Reference Monitor, any need for a SDI/HDMI I/O card with Premiere Pro?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I've used HDMI on my video card to a second monitor for about a year and a half--I'm not overwhelmingly finicky, but my stuff looks great on local broadcast.

• 2. Re: Accurate Color Reference Monitor, any need for a SDI/HDMI I/O card with Premiere Pro?
            Keith Moreau Level 1

Thanks Coliln, so you are using a similar setup, but what card are you using that outputs HDMI, and are you going to a computer (RGB) monitor or a HDTV with HDMI? Did you calibrate the monitor, what kind is it, more details!

• 3. Re: Accurate Color Reference Monitor, any need for a SDI/HDMI I/O card with Premiere Pro?
              johnnyfriday Level 1

Keith,

i use the Matrox in FCP and now just setting up in PP....that i believe is one way to get accurate monitoring....also, it's 10bit vs. most standard DVI outputs that are 8bit only....some might have display port...which i belive is 10bit, but i dont know of any color accurate monitors supporting 10bit.

./......what is very important here is having a PROPER color accurate monitor. Those can be expensive....but two affordable are HP dreamcolor: hdmi input at 10bit or DVI at 8bit....but can set it up to REC709...i have that and and FSI (flanders Scientific) mdl: LM-2461W---best value SDI 3g 10bit monitor.....

Other ways out are Matrox MXO2.....i use the mxo2 LE with Max and that can also send out a 10bit signal via HDMI and has software controls to take your HDMI monitor and make it quite color accurate....not perfect, but dang good.

• 4. Re: Accurate Color Reference Monitor, any need for a SDI/HDMI I/O card with Premiere Pro?
                Keith Moreau Level 1

Thanks Johnny

I do realize that using a Matrox Card or box is the traditional way to get accurate color out of your Mac, though I believe the inspiration in part for these devices was that FCP didn't have accurate YUV to RGB conversion. Premiere Pro supposedly does. My research on the Dreamcolor is that it has to have an RGB input to function properly. Do you use yours with the RGB output from your monitor card or do you still use the Matrox LE with Max or HDMI? Have you ever just connected to the RGB port and use it straight out of Premiere Pro? I realize on the Mac you won't get 10 bit, but will the color be accurate?  Thanks much for any advice.

-Keith

• 5. Re: Accurate Color Reference Monitor, any need for a SDI/HDMI I/O card with Premiere Pro?
                  johnnyfriday Level 1

Hi Keith,

Far more reasons to use the Matrox....only one of which is to go to an HDMI monitor.....First, PC or Mac...how will you get HDMI out?  not many video cards have HDMI out....at least not my machines....except my mini mac. BUT, from your computer to Matrox box...via the video card that processes (the card you put in your video slot to run special cable to Matrox Box) the signal...yes, it does conversion from YUV to RGB. Additionally Matrox also has some real time processing advantages within Premier....(i've only seen the video on those).....Also, from the Matrox box you can also go out to SDI....which i do HDMI to my 50" Plasma, then when working on a seperate monitor (my FSI) i go SDI to that....And Mac does do 10 bit WITH the proper connection such as Display port or HDMI...seems most modern computers have gone display port....some have also added hdmi, but i see more display and DVI-D but these are 8bit out. As for Dream color, the only way i have run it is via my Matrox....tomorrow i will however run it out of my video card via DVI-D...to replace one of my Dell 2410's.....merely so that i can also see (at 8 bit) color accurate when using Premier Pro...i'll have Premier running on that window.....Keep in mind, these monitors are ONLY color accurate when they are properly calibrated.....i usually have a tech do that for me once every 12-18 months.....