9 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 2:22 PM by pup500

What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?

Level 1

What do the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of the movieclips in the actions panel mean?  [Fig. 1]

I'm working off this template in Flash CS3, that's using ActionScript 2.0 actually.

I don't know whether or not that means anything in regards to the above inquire?

Again, any help is appreciated.

Fig.1

Photobucket

• 1. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
          relaxatraja Level 5

Nothing. Its a normal symbol and only red icon is visible when you'r using the explorer view. The one you shown above and the movie explorer.

• 2. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
            Level 1

I don't believe they're nothing.

They obviously indicate something.

I was thinking maybe they're there to indicate when a symbol is within another symbol?

I'm going to try and test that out today.

Explorer view? I have no clue what you're talking about.

The view in Fig. 1 is the 'Actions Panel' in 'Flash CS3'.

I'm still waiting for a clearer, more consise answer.

• 3. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is not the Actions window, that is the Movie Explorer window.  The Actions window is shown to the right, with all the blue coloring and actions code in it. 

The little red dots probably just mean the object is on the stage/timeline, since that is what the Movie Explorer displays.

Also, the actions code you show is AS2 and this is an AS3 forum, so you probably need to post in a more appropriate forum if you have further questions on your project.  If the question does not concern actionscript, then try posting in the general Flash forum.

• 4. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
                Level 1

OK, I think I might have figured this out.

First. You guys keep insisting it's the Movie Explorer. It is not. It is the Actions Panel. You can see for yourself. Option+F9 opens the Actions Panel. Option+F3 opens the 'Explorer Window'. They are similar in appearance but they're not the same thing. They're just not.

Second. I believe that the red dots on the movieclips, and also buttons, indicates when there is actionscript directly on the movieclip and/or button, as oppose to actionscript written on a frame within a movie clip and/or button.

You really have to pay special attention to the top of the Actions Panel right next to where it says 'Actions' there's a dash '–' and then it says either 'Frame', 'Movie Clip', or 'Button'. This indicates exactly where you're about to write script to, or where you're reading the script from, so it's important to pay attention to this.

That left side pane, in the Actions Panel, is divided by 'Scene' and by 'Symbol Definition(s)' and it's confusing because it's possible to have a symbol appear more than once depening on where the actionscript is located (i.e. on a frame or on the movie clip or button itself).

For example if you have script on a FRAME within movie clip A, it'll appear in the SYMBOL DEFINITION(S) pane, without a red box, but if you were to write script on movie clip A itself, it would still not have the red box on it in the SYMBOL DEFINITION(S) pane, BUT it would appear again as movie clip A in the SCENE pane, and this time it would appear with the red box next to it, casue it now has actionscript directly on the movie clip itself. Wow, how confusing is that ha. 

Keep in mind that if you made a movie clip B, within movie clip A, and if you placed actionscripts directly on movie clip B, NOT on a frame, then movie clip B would get a red box and appear UNDER movie clip A, within the SYMBOL DEFINITION(S) pane, NOT the SCENE pane. Ha.

If you wrote script on a FRAME within movie clip B it would appear in the SYMBOL DEFINITION(S) again, yes a second time, twice, but WITHOUT a red box. Confused yet? ha.

I don't know why Flash decided to do it this way. But it starts to make sense when you're actually viewing it, when it's in front of you. I think this is just for actionscript 2.0 (and for actionscript 1.0 presumably), but I don't think this is the case for ActionScript 3.0, because in as3 it's all instance name based, and targeting based, so there's no such thing as writing script directly onto a symbol of any kind, button, movie clip or otherwise.

But yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

• 5. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're wrong about everything you've been told you're wrong about, but that's okay, as long as you're satisfied.  As for the red dots, your guess is as good as anyone's but you're probably the only one who has a concern about it.  In time you'll learn, but please remember to post in the correct forum.

• 6. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
                    Level 1

I'm not here to deal with emotions and I'm not here to argue.

I'm here to find real solutions.

Option+F9 opens the Actions Panel. Option+F3 opens the Explorer Window. Period.

Or, you can go to windows and manually go to Actions or go to Explorer WIndow, whichever you prefer. They're obviously two separate panels.

The image I provided in my original post (Fig. 1) explicitly shows "Actions - Movie Clip". It is in fact the Actions Panel. I think that's overwhelmingly clear at this point.

Secondly. I tested everything I described regarding the little red squares myself. Nobody told me anything.

If you're not interested in the little red square phenomenon, then don't comment on it. I'm not forcing you to comment on this.

Test it for yourself instead of being unhelpful, condescending, antagonizing, and frankly wasting everybody's time.

• 7. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
                      relaxatraja Level 5

As Ned said, still its not clear. Even I create a movieclip without a actionscript it shows the red symbol. Adobe people will say the answer?

• 8. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
                        pup500 Level 1

adobe1kenobe has the right idea. After reading his/her post a couple times and running tests myself, I came to the conclusion that:

The red square dot means there's code placed on an instance (not on a frame).

EXCEPT for selected symbols that appear under the "Current Selection" grouping, which always have this red square.

Here's a picture of a selected MovieClip without code on it in the "Current Selection" grouping:

symbol1withreddot.PNG

This could be a bug.

I don't know why adobe1kenobe didn't mention this exception.

By the definition I've given, we can deduce that this red square dot becomes meaningless in AS3 projects, which don't allow code on instances.

I'm unable to produce this red square dot in an AS3 project, myself.

• 9. Re: What are the little red squares on the lower left hand corner of a movieclip in the actions panel?
                          pup500 Level 1

Hey, Ned, you had this coming

Here's a screenshot of Flash's "Movie Explorer" side-by-side with the Actions panel:

Capture.PNG

The Actions panel has 3 panes, one of them being a place for you to enter code.

See Adobe's glossary entry defining the Actions panel:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/concept_actions_panel.html

--

Also, Ned, to explain why anyone would care about these little red squares:

I'm in the process of trying to convert thousands (yes, thousands) of AS2 projects to AS3 and the Actions panel is the best way I've found to quickly scan an AS2 FLA to see what kind of ActionScript it has.

--

I'd like to give adobe1kenobe a pat on the back for dealing very gracefully with all the flak in this discussion.

And thanks for your help figuring this issue out