3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 11:39 AM by Ned Murphy

Dynamic text to be motion tween

MSkannerup

I am creating a infodisplay to show new names every day. Therefore I need a text field that collect text from a *.txt file, and here comes the catch:

I would like the text to roll over the screen, but i do not seem to be allowed to creat motion tween on a text field. I then have tried to convert the text field to a MovieClip, but then the text either: don't get collected from the *.txt file; or: the MovieClip will not move as the tween set it to move.

Please help me!

Thx in advance!

• 1. Re: Dynamic text to be motion tween
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will need to place the textfield in the movieclip and give them both instance names.  Let's say you name the movieclip "mc" and the textfield "tf".  To assign the text to the textfield you will need to use... mc.tf.text = yourText;

You will also need to embed the font in the textfield to be sure that it displays.

There should be nothing prhibiting you from making the textfield tween.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamic text to be motion tween
            MSkannerup Level 1

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry but i am not sure i understand this - 2 questions:

"To assign the text to the textfield you will need to use... mc.tf.text = yourText;

- Which scene/layer should this actionscript applied be on?

- How will this then now how to take the text for my "guests.txt" file?

• 3. Re: Dynamic text to be motion tween
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The code will go in the first frame where the movieclip exists on the timeline.  Normally actions get placed in their own layer to help keep things nicely ordered.

It will not take any text from anywhere.  Your actionscript will get the text from the txt file and assign it to the textfield via the movieclip using the code I showed.

1 person found this helpful