1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 4:01 AM by Walter Treur

Spark & UIImpersonator

lndgrniker

FlexUnit 4.1

FlashBuilder 4.5.1

BACKGROUND

I'm trying to test a custom Flex 4 skinnable component, using the FlexUnit UIImpersonator class. If I run my tests from a FlashBuilder Spark only project everything works fine. If I try to test from a project with the mx component set on the buildpath I get a "getElementIndex not available in non Flex 4 projects" error.

QUESTION

Can I unit test spark components in FlexUnits visual test environment while still having the mx component set on the classpath?

RESEARCH

UIImpersonator delegates it's method calls to a "testEnvironment". The implementation used for this "testEnvironment" is decided by the VisualTestEnvironmentBuilder class and the FlexEnvironmentBuilder class. If the FlexEnvironmentBuilder class can find the "mx.core.Container" on the classpath it returns a MX environment, else a Spark environment. Only the spark environment has valid implementations for Flex 4 relevant method calls on the UIImpersonator – like the addElement method.

• 1. Re: Spark & UIImpersonator
          Walter Treur

I've had the same issue as well and I think it's a bug in FlexUnit.

Here's my workaround which I've also added to the same question you've asked at stackoverflow:

As a workaround. Just use UIImpersonator.addChild() and add a reference to mx.core.Container in your TestRunner. This ensures that a MX container is used as testEnvironment and you won't receive a 'getElementIndex...' error.

import mx.core.Container

public function runTests():void {

// reference to mx container

var containerRef:Container = new Container();

// Run your testsuite as usual. eg:

var core:FlexUnitCore = new FlexUnitCore();

core.run(MyTestSuite);

}