12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 9:19 AM by Maujb

How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text

Maujb

Hi Guys,

I have searched everywhere and coudn't find this.

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

I have a few long text blocks that flows in a threaded text frame and I would like to have the title for each of this articles to be repeated first in the first line of the text frame of each folowing page with (continued).

I know I can use master pages and can have a separated text box with my title. But then if the number of page change I may end up with a title (continued) where shouldn't.

The jump line next and previous page number won't work for me, because I need it to be the article's heading and it need to be in the same thex frame as the title.

It is pretty much like happens when your table flows through more than one page. The header repeats on every frame.

I really tried to find it but no luck. Every time I tryied the only anwes I have got was line jumps, next and previous page number.

Much appreciated if anyone can save me.

Thanks

Mau

• 1. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You really do want to use a separate frame for this. If you edit, anything inline is going move down the page or back to the previous page. Wheter you decide to put this frame on a master, and apply a different master when it is not required is up to you. I thank that would be faster than saving a snippet or library item, but it's a matter of preference.

In any case, you will want to put your "continued" along with a variable in the frame. The variable should be of Running Header type and set to pick up the first occurrenc on the page of a paragraph or character style assigned exclusivly to the Titles. A character style (which needn't be more than a name, with no actually formatting changes defined) applied to part of a long title may be what you need if picking up the entire paragraph is not appropriate.

Be sure you leave enough space in the frame to easily hold the longest string the variable will pick up. ID treats the variable as a sinlge character for formatting, and if there is not enough space instead of wrapping to a new line it will squeeze the text on top of itself.

• 2. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
            Maujb Level 1

Hi Peter thanks for the quick response.

The reason I want to have it "inline" is ecxately if I add more text to the previous page the title will be repeated in the correct place. Wheter in a master I will have to worry if each text has the correct master.

I thought it would be a running header, thanks for confirming that. My question now is, how do I get it to automatically repeat on every text frame until a new heading is typed?

To be clear what I want to do, is what MS Word does. Have the (cont.) after the title repeating until a new title is typed.

So lets say I have:

Page 1

MY HEADING TITLE

My long text goes here for about 10 pages.

Page 2

MY HEADING TITLE (Cont.) [ This ttitle here needs to be automatically duplicated with the (cont.) ]

My long text continue to flows here

hope it makes a bit more sense what I am trying to achieve.

If you can clarify to me how can I have the running header to auto repeat on every text box inline with the text will be great.

Thanks for you help.

Mau

• 3. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Maujb wrote:

I thought it would be a running header, thanks for confirming that. My question now is, how do I get it to automatically repeat on every text frame until a new heading is typed?

So ... 

Peter Spier wrote:

The variable should be of Running Header type and set to pick up the first occurrenc on the page of a paragraph or character style assigned exclusivly to the Titles. A character style (which needn't be more than a name, with no actually formatting changes defined) applied to part of a long title may be what you need if picking up the entire paragraph is not appropriate.

• 4. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text

I think you misundertand the meaning of inline.

If that continued line is an actual part of the text it is NOT going to always be in the correct position. If you add text on a previous page it will move down the page on all following pages. If you remove a line, it will move up, and that means if it was at the top of the page already it will now be at the bottom of the previous page. There is NO WAY to put what should be a running heading directly in the text and guarantee that it will ALWAYS be the first line of the frame on the page.

I did just have another thought for how to add it, though. Rather than a separate frame, you might want to add it as text on a path located in the top of the text frame. I suspect this may turn out to be more trouble though, depending on where the first baseline is set in the frame (you'd probably want to use "leading" if you want equal spacing between your continued line and the text below). None of that is relevant, though, as far as the need to either use a master page with the header text and variable -- read about variables in the help file -- on the page or as an alternative use a snippet or library item that you can drag onto the page when needed.

Since you will need the line more than you won't, it seems to me that the master page is a better approach since it will require manual intervention less often. If you don't need the jump line, either override and delete it, or assign a second master identical to the first, but without the jump frame, to that page. One of those two masters should be based on the other so editing one updates both.

• 5. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
                  Maujb Level 1

Hi Jongware,

I undertood and tested that, but I don't thing you undestood what I meant by reapeat automatically.

First the running header did repeat, but not automatically. When my text flows to the next text frame it does not appear in the first line of that text frame. For it to appear I have to go in the first line and insert the text variable wich is picking up the title style.

This way it does not work as I want. Because, if I manually insert the text variable and my text grows a few line on the previous page, my Title text variable will not be the first thing on the next page. Is it a bit more clearer?

I appreciate the help, but still not doing what I need.

I may sounds a big thing, but in fact it is doable in MS word.

New ideias?

Thanks guys

Mau

• 6. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text

Maujb wrote:

MY HEADING TITLE (Cont.) [ This ttitle here needs to be automatically duplicated with the (cont.) ]

In your jump line you will set: <your variable name here> (Cont.)

Since it looks as if the entire title pargarph is going to be used, your variable will be of type Running Header (paragraph style), and you will set it to "first on page" which will look backwards through the document until it finds the correct style. Don't forget to leave lots of space in the frame so the variable doesn't stack up on itself.

• 7. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text

Maujb wrote:

I may sounds a big thing, but in fact it is doable in MS word.

Mau

InDesign is a layout application, not a word processor, and it does things differntly from Word. I'm almost certain, though, that word is adding a header, not part of the running text, and that it's set to pick up the title as a variable, but I'm not a power user of Word and I've never seen this done.

• 8. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
                        Maujb Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks again.

I didn't meant to compare, I think I am not explaning properlly what I am trying to do.

Thanks.

Mau

• 9. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text

I think we understand exactly what you are trying to do, and we've been telling you how to do it in ID.

Word has some features that allow you to have different headers and footers for for section starter pages, and uses them automatically when you set a new section. This is equivalent to using two masters in ID and assigning the one without the variable to your section start pages. The difference is that you have to do that yourself.

• 10. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
                            Maujb Level 1

Thanks that is it...

I didn't think of having two masters, one with the variable and the other one without it.

This will solve my problem and also answered one of my other questions.

Thanks alot

Mau

• 11. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text

Maujb wrote:

Thanks that is it...

I didn't think of having two masters, one with the variable and the other one without it.

I could have sworn I mentioned that in both of my first two reponses. Maybe I  need to work on my communication skills.

• 12. Re: How to auto repeat "Heading title (Continue)" in threaded text
                                Maujb Level 1

Don't worry mate, you were of great help.

I improved the ideia a litte bit, so I am going to post here. It may help somonelse.

Ok,

I created two Master pagers, so in my master A, I have the text box at the top with the running header variable on it. This master head will by default be applied to all my pages.

I then created a B Master, which does not have the text box at the top. I will apply this B Master page to the page where I want to start my heading for each one of my articles. I will then add the text box at the top of the page I have applied the Master B to and type my Heading to the text box at the top of the page. This Heading will be pick up by the variable on all the following pages or until I apply my Master B to another page and type my second Heading, which will then be pick up by the variable and repeated in on the following pages.

The improvement:

I made a list of all my Heading Titles in a text box in the very first page of the document (my contents page).

Rather than typing my Heading Titles, I inserted a cross reference to that specific title to the very first page, from my list of titles.

This way I can change or update all the title by changing just my table of contents, so my cross reference on the Master B will be updated, which will update the variable o my Master A.

Hope it helps someone.

Thanks for your help Peter.

Mau