17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 11:57 AM by Peter Spier

Duplicate pages on one page

lsk2002 Level 1

I am making a mini manual that is using a letter size portrait page split into two pages, but are both to be page one. I need for the first page to have the same information on both sides, then go on to the second page and so on with the same info on both sides. The reason for this is that the pages will be cut in half and spiral bound to make a book. I know I can use a booklet that would actually make the page accurate for a book, but I need the same information on both sides of page one and so on.

How would I do this? I have set up the pages, but don't know how to thread the text so that the info will correctly be placed. I tried pasting text in the first column and it correctly pasted into the other pages on page one. But when I pasted the same info on the second half of page one, it jumbled all the pages and didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

ls

• 1. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Use the following script to place the ID file twice into a new document with a page size large enough to hold two pages:

InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

• 2. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
            lsk2002 Level 1

Thanks Peter....but I have no idea what to do with that....lol...I am looking at it right now, but I don't know anything about scripting. What do I do with it?

Thanks...sorry...

ls

• 3. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
              lsk2002 Level 1

Peter,

I have been looking in the help files. I ran the script and it made a new file, but no text and I can't add any. How am I suppose to set up the document?

Thanks,

ls

• 4. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                Grant H Level 4

create a indesign file to half the page size. called motherFile.indd. then create the toGoToPrint.indd full size with two frames (top half and bottom half). Place the mother.indd file pages in it accordingly.

that way if there is a mod you only change the mother file and update link in print file, export and done!

G

• 5. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                  lsk2002 Level 1

Yea!!!! I have been messing around with it and got it to do it correctly on an oversized page...I have never run a script before...Awesome!! Thanks!!! Now if I can recreate it with the real file...lol

ls

I tried to click on correct...but it didn't change...but thanks again!!!

Message was edited by: lsk2002

• 6. Re: Duplicate pages on one page

Sorry. Been out all afternoon. Sounds like you've got it figured out now?

• 7. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                      Grant H Level 4

you dont need a script: creating the mother file and placing eg page 1, twice on the same page and so on means if there is an edit you only have to change the mother file, and update the print files link to it.

G

• 8. Re: Duplicate pages on one page

Grant,

The script I referenced is used to place the mother file into the new file. It allows you to place all of the pages, to select positioning, and to scale if desired.

• 9. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                          Grant H Level 4

ah: ok...

• 10. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                            lsk2002 Level 1

Hi Peter and Grant,

Thank you for the help...but I think I need more...lol...

I have the script working, but it totally ignores my page setup. I have tried offsetting it..and many other things. I realized that this will have to be centered on each side of the landscape page because of margins for right and left pages.

Can one of you go into some explanation of how to place the text where it is suppose to go? I know Grant that you said I could scale, but from what I can find, you can only do one page at a time...what am I missing here?

Thanks!!

ls

• 11. Re: Duplicate pages on one page

Well. let's see if we can walk you through this.

If, for example your one-up master document is 8.5 x 11 portrait orientation, you'll want to create a new 11 x 17 landscape file (non-facing) of one page into which you will place the first one. if your pages are 5.5 x 8.5, your new file will be 8.5 x 11 landscape, or you can get really fancy and print 4-up on 11 x 17 portrait (you'd run the script four times, picking upper left, lower left upper right and lower right -- see below -- for positioning).

When you run the script you should see this dialog:

Zanelli dialog.png

Upper left section of the dialog tells the script which pages to insert. By default the range will be the entire document, which is what you want. Start placing on page 1 since you don't have any other pages that need to come first.

You probably do NOT, in this case, want to do any scaling, so in the lower left just leave things at 100% in both fields.

In the upper right is a positioning dialog. For the first pass, pick one of the options that has "left" in it to put the pages on the left side. You'll run the script a second time and choose one of the options with "right" to fill the second side. It doesn't matter, in this case if you top, center, or bottom align because the height of the new doc in landscape is the same as the height of the original doc in portrait, so they all are exactly the same result AS LONG AS you pick "page bounding box" as the crop option in the lower right.

If the new file is exactly large enough to hold two pages from the original you won't need to do any offsets, either, but the printer might like it if you rotate one set 180 degrees (it really shouldn't be necessary though , for only two). Printing one half rotated makes trimming simpler if the output is on oversize paper comapred to the document setup.

The above has presumend no bleed. If there is a bleed, I would make the new file page size large enough to include the bleed allowance, i.e. 11.5 x 8.75 for a 5.5 x 8.5 page with .125 bleed all around, and change the crop selection to bleed box.

This is really much simpler than it looks or sounds.

• 12. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                                lsk2002 Level 1

Peter,

That is what I am doing, but depending on what I pick from the positioning options, I get something different. Since this is going to be cut in half, (1/2 letter to landscape 2 up) I want to make sure that the right and left margins are correct. The one below, I picked center left and right, hoping that it would work. When I cut it in half, it isn't too bad. When I run the script, it seems to ignore my master pages, so I am guessing that it isn't going by that, but just he entire page size. I did pick bounding box... What I have got, isn't too bad, just thought I was missing something on the page setup... Thanks a bunch!!! Let me know if there is something I am not getting!!! Have a nice weekend!!!

quick ref.jpg

• 13. Re: Duplicate pages on one page

The margins will be whatever they are on the pages of the original document. Master pages don't enter into this at all.

Holding a ruler up to the screen, your margins look correct to me in the screen shot. The left column on each half starts about 3/4 of an inch (on my screen), from waht will be the left edge of the page after cutting apart. Remember that if you have asymmetric margins the trim line inthe center of the page will NOT be inthe cneter of the blank area, but the balnk area will total the left and right margin dimesions. The next page should look "off center" in the same way, but in the other direction. It might help you visualize what's happening if you put a guide down the center representing the cut line between pages.

What sizes are each of your documents set to?

• 14. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                                    lsk2002 Level 1

Thanks Peter! OK...now that makes sense... I am using half-size letter to make the document and then running the script in a letter size portrait size for the mini manual. It will be spiral bound...

Thanks!!

• 15. Re: Duplicate pages on one page

I take it your Half-Letter is landscape?

• 16. Re: Duplicate pages on one page
                                        lsk2002 Level 1

Oh sorry...I typed that wrrong...my half letter is portrait and my letter is landscape to place them for the mini manual. Thanks for your help!!!

• 17. Re: Duplicate pages on one page

So did you make it work?