13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 10:06 AM by marcjulienobjois

Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?

RIP FCP

Sorry to ask such basic questions that may have already been answered a while ago, but I'm new to PP.

I came across a tutorial on the timewarp effect. However, it was for CS4. Apparently this effect was not brought forward to CS5.

Correct?

It appears that there is a timewarp effect in After Effects. Is this the same effect as the one that used to be in Premiere?

If I get After Effects, will the After Effects (such as timewarp) be available in Premiere?

Or do I have to link to AE?

I wonder why Adobe removed this effect from Premiere. Seems like it was a decent slow motion effect, similar (but I'm sure not quite the same) as Twixtor. At least in terms of it's use of Pixel Motion to create new frames.

• 1. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Gone in CS5+. If you want it back, do this thing: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

If you use Time Warp on a clip in AE, so long as you use Dynamic Link to bring that comp into Premiere Pro, you can functionally "use" Time Warp in your sequence. Count on hellacious render times; it might be better to render out of AE and import that clip into Premiere Pro.

EDIT: To use Dynamic Link, you need the Production Premium bundle. Since you said "if I get After Effects," does this imply you have Premiere Pro only? If so, you'll have to use the render/import workflow instead of Dynamic Link--there is no way to use DL with the standalone versions of Pr and AE.

PS: I like your name

• 2. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
            Macphil11

Indeed, a funny one!

• 3. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I wonder why Adobe removed this effect from Premiere.

When we ported the entire application to be a 64-bit application, we had to rewrite a lot of things, and this gave us an opportunity to look at what was worth porting over. We looked at each feature, asked a bunch of customers, and made a call for each feature about whether it needed to be brought forward into the new version.

Timewarp in Premiere Pro is one of those features that didn't seem worth it, since not that many people used it.

But, as Colin said, you can cast your vote in the form of a feature request to ask that it (or something like it) be added for a future version.

• 4. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                RIP FCP Level 1

I downloaded the AE trial version and tried out the effect on an imported clip. No Dynamic Link.

It appears that when AE renders the effect, it does not change the lenght of the clip. Meaning, if the clip is 5 seconds long and you slow it down 50%, your clip will be 50% slower, but sill 5 seconds long. Is that the way the effect is supposed to work? Or am I just that unfamiliar with AE?

Thanks on the name. Although give Apple End Of Life-ed FCP a few months ago, I'm surprised it was available.

• 5. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Meaning, if the clip is 5 seconds long and you slow it down 50%, your clip will be 50% slower, but sill 5 seconds long. Is that the way the effect is supposed to work? Or am I just that unfamiliar with AE?

Well, this is probably better asked in the Adobe After Effects Forum, but yes--that's the way it works. You'll have to manually increase the length of the clip (and the comp, probably) to account for this.

• 6. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                    RIP FCP Level 1

Not being an Adobe expert ...

I don't suppose AE effects (ie: timewarp) would be available in PP?

Also, I downloaded the trial version of AE and tested the timewarp effect. I noticed that when slowing it down the clip will not get longer in overall time. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

From the tutorial I saw on the timewarp effect in the old PP CS4, the clip length would get exteneded so that you could slow down the entire clip.

Is there some setting within AE I'm missing?

Or would this be handled better by a Dynamic Link?

• 7. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Colin suggest, bring your After Effects questions to the After Effects forum, and we can help you there.

And, as Colin also said, you just need to extend the layer to be as long as needed to accommodate the slowed-down movie.

No, not all effect plug-ins from After Effects work in Premiere Pro. They have a related effect API, but they're very different programs in a lot of important ways.

• 9. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                        RIP FCP Level 1

Dang. I'm having a hard time clicking on Helpful Answer. Must some PP Forum inside joke?

• 10. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Must some PP Forum inside joke?

Well, could be, but it is more likely just something in the brand new Jive software (Adobe just updated the software that runs the forums), and not everything has been through a complete "shakedown" yet.

The most important thing is that you get the answers that you need, and it looks like Colin and Todd have probably done that.

Good luck, and enjoy PrPro,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                            marcjulienobjois

"Timewarp in Premiere Pro is one of those features that didn't seem worth it, since not that many people used it."

That is baffling. Did users really want slow motion to look bad unless they spent hours of extra time?

I know this reply doesn't bring much to the table, and I admit I'm letting my frustration drive the keyboard, but I would really like to know the answer to this question:

Was that a feature that people didn't want or was it more of a "this is hard: let's take it out and see if users complain" type of omission?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                              RIP FCP Level 1

I think Todd Kopriva (from Adobe) answered this. (above)

The talked to some customers and prioritized which features to re-write for 64 bit and this didn't make the cut. (no NLE pun intended)

As Todd suggests, make a feature request to Adobe, as I did.

• 13. Re: Timewarp Effect, Gone In CS5.5?
                                marcjulienobjois Level 1

Hi RIP FCP,

Indeed: I was responding to Todd.

I did my part and requested the feature. I wish you could get bar graphs showing stats on which features are getting requested. Then it would be a fun game.