5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 2:24 PM by Peter Spier

Stroke

abssiddiq

Hi,

I am working in Indesign CS5. I have a Rectangle Box with Stroke applied on Four Sides.

But I just want to apply stroke on only 3 sides. How can I do this?

Thanks

Siddiq

• 1. Re: Stroke
          Grant H Level 4

use the scissors tool to cut the top two corner anchors. click and drag the bottom away: delete the top. place content in remaining frame.

Gcook.png

and round corners will still work

• 2. Re: Stroke
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The easiest way, in the case of a rectangular frame, is to just use the direct select tool to select the path segment that makes up the side you don't  want stroked and delete it. Even though the frame is now an open path. ID will continue to fill the shape as if the two end points are joined. This technique only works for removing a single side, though.

There was a similar discussion the other day, and I believe it was Fred Goldman who offered what I think is a very clever solution for applying strokes to less than three sides by using a dashed line stroke style.

• 3. Re: Stroke

Grant H wrote:

use the scissors tool to cut the top two corner anchors. click and drag the bottom away: delete the top. place content in remaining frame.

G

You don't need the scissor tool. Just make sure the frame is not selected, then use the Direct Select tool to click directly on the path secment you wish to delete. The frame should look selected with 4 open corner nodes, and pressing Backspace or delete will remove the side you selected.

• 4. Re: Stroke
                Grant H Level 4

my way you can do this even:cook3.png

(let me have the first great workaround on this please... hehe)

G

• 5. Re: Stroke

Yes, you can certainly use the scissor tool to cut a segment, but when you do that you lose the rectangular shape and the fill will be cut off by the line that joins the end points. Take a look at what happens if you try to fill that frame with text instead of an image weighted heavily to the left.

And I'm not trying to take away your first workaround -- we were typing at the same time, I think -- just pointing out that if you want to remove one side you don't need the scissor tool. There are a LOT of possible tricks for partially stroking a frame in different ways. I think in this case the OP asked about not stroking one edge, and the simple way is to remove the path segment. Something more complex in terms of what should and should not be stroked might well need the scissor tool -- take out the center third of the top segment, for example -- but that isn't what was asked.