16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 11:59 PM by dranle

Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

tomthum Level 1

after reading this review it seems that adobe has still not learnt any lessons about bringing out new

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/370027/adobe-premiere-elements-10

Products with quiet a few bugs NOT sorted I fined the review quiet damming to Adobe

if u cannot open link just do a serch for  (   P.C PRO REVIEWS ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 10 )

Please let me know what u think of the review

Cheers TomThumb

some things said about Adobe

We're not so happy with the way Premiere Elements 10 puts frames up on the monitor. Even with only a single AVCHD stream, playback seemed a little jerky. We shot a 120fps slow-motion video of the monitor and discovered that it was dropping around 15% of frames.

It's also worth noting that the default Automatic preview mode uses a crude method of resizing footage to fit the preview window, which can result in a slightly blocky appearance and moiré interference. Switching from Automatic to Highest removed this problem, but also halved the number of simultaneous streams that would play on our test PC.

Sadly, the responsiveness of the timeline controls and the interface in general remain poor. Simple actions such as zooming into the timeline, moving a clip or switching between the various tabbed panels were annoyingly slow, even with simple projects on our powerful PC. More complex projects containing lots of HD clips were almost unworkable.

After jumping to a point on the timeline and hitting the spacebar to commence playback, we sometimes had to wait for five seconds before the preview window sprang to life. More patient users may be able to bear it, but compared to the lightning-fast Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11, it's a painful experience.

The remaining new features aren't so enticing. It can generate animated slideshows, automatically zooming and panning from face to face. However, these animations are clunky and unattractive compared to the elegant, sweeping animations that Premiere Elements is already capable of with its advanced Bézier keyframe tools.

It can now upload videos directly to Facebook, but as with many of its export templates, the frame rate is fixed at 30fps rather than adapting to the project settings, needlessly inserting repeated frames from 25fps footage and compromising motion smoothness. Once again, this is basic stuff that we expect Adobe to get right.

Disc authoring is available at 25fps (PAL) or 30fps (NTSC) frame rates, but the lack of 24fps Blu-ray authoring won't please Nikon DSLR owners, and disc structure options are extremely basic. At least there's finally an option to burn HD video onto DVD media in the widely compatible AVCHD disc format.

There are some worthwhile improvements here, but the £69 inc VAT upgrade price is so high that we recommend existing users seriously consider jumping ship.

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 61yr old body

• 1. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Well, TOM THUMB,

Since Adobe Elements 4 and Premiere Pro 1.5.1 all software has gone backwards, the non Adobe Staff followers who help in the Forums are very helpfull and so is CREATIVE COW forums, but, why do you have to alter the computer to suit Premiere Pro CS5.5 and Premiere Elements 9 when products work just within your system/ I still use these old products in HDV and H.264mov 1920 x 1080p for broadcast results as well as to PRO Tape and Blu-Ray Disc. The help you get from Adobe Support is so close to incompetent I will not be in touch again. Besides, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11  at 1/10 the price and with STABILIZATION included)  is so fast and efficient with only a phone call away which is accurate everytime , it beggers imagination what Adobe is about. And I still use their products, it is now coming to an end.However most of our work is with stills and Adobe Photoshop is a stand out product and causes no issues, why not CS5.5.1 and Premiere Elements 10.This is after 8 years of using the older better products, but, after 2-3 years they will not give support ?

I still cannot believe you cannot trial CS5.5.1 and Premiere Elements 10 in HIGH DEFINITION 1920 x 1080. To see what it can do. You know Adobe has problems when there are so many unanswered issues in the ADOBE FORUMS as well as Creative Cow.

• 2. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
            tomthum Level 1

Hi Bob  I do agree with what you say also I have now canceled  my order with Amazone uk for Adobe photoshop and elements I think it is time to move on so I have saved £100 .99p

to better edit software like Vegas Movie Studio  at present I use Avid Studio.

Adobe wants to get its act together and employ some decent programers THAT KNOW WHT THEY ARE DOING  and as for Adobe support well ONCE THE GET UR MONIES they don't want to know you

you only have to browse the forums and see HOW MANY UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS Adobe have.

Cheers TomThumb

• 3. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

I understand,

AVID studio is OK, I found premiere Elements very slow processing H.264 mov

clips from a Canon 5D Mark II, so I tried Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11

and have produced 5 professional Pro tape edits and Blu-Ray Discs , the

rendering speed is excellent and the program has a very good stabilizer, so

does PE but, CS5.5.1 does not , that is a big mistake. PE 4 has a stabilizer

so does Premiere Pro 1.5.1 (which I still use it for HDV or even H.264mov

after codec conversion using the PE 4 Encoder and that is 5 years old . Sony

Vegas has never crashed and is reasonably easy to use, the Sony Vegas and

Basics Forum on Creative Cow web site is an excellent tool.But, Vegas is the

way to go, Pro 10 is on the wish list soon.

Happy editing..........................

• 4. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                tomthum Level 1

Hi Bob Thanks for the info:

I posted this topic as I thought it would cause some people to think again about Premiere elements 10,

all I can say to people is make sure you read the reviews and DON'T believe all the hipe on Adobe site.

Photoshop is an xlent program but they spent some time with that i.e. the programers,

The Adobe Premiere Elements 10 should have been brought out as an upgrade for version 9 This is Adobe usual tatics of getting more monies for programes that have in my opinion NEVER BEEN TESTED.

we the customers are adobe testers.

Cheers  TomThumb

• 5. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

While technically beta testers can not, by agreement, admit to having tested the product, I assure you that it has undergone testing by people all over the world for the past six months.

That doesn't mean that every glitch is caught in beta, or that Adobe has created a machine that will work perfectly on every PC in the world, no matter what it's configuration. But in my experience, this is one of the best builds of the product in years and well worth upgrading to. It does everything it claims to and it does it quite stably. (And it never claims to be able to work with 120p video! That's ridiculous!)

And I don't get a penny from Adobe for saying that.

But thanks for your opinion nonetheless.

• 6. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                    tomthum Level 1

Hi Steve if what u say is true I assure you that it has undergone testing by people all over the world for the past six months.

WHY WAS IT RELEASED WITH THE PROBLEMS AS LISTED ON MY FIRST POST

Have the people that tested this software NOT REPORTED THE PROBLEMS what's the point in testing if they find nothing wrong

it's all about money and greed on Adobe's part just get it released at all costs NEVER MIND THE CUSTOMERS let them test it for us, thats their motto

and u state( That doesn't mean that every glitch is caught in beta )

These problems ar NOT GLITCHES AS U PUT IT  They should have been sorted out before relese

Cheers TomThumb

I.m a 30yr old trapped in a 61yr old body

• 7. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

Which problems in particular are you experiencing with version 10, Tom?

I'm not going to bother addressing my issues with that review, one by one, but it is a pretty absurd review -- based on "shortcomings" that have virtually nothing to do with how the program was designed to work.

• 8. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

Even with my limited knowledge about videos and editing, I too find that review really absurd.

"Here is Footage from a Canon EOS 600D is more demanding because of its high 45Mbits/sec bit rate, but it still managed four simultaneous streams" After this, the next sentence simply straightaway contradicts it!!

The line about the preview being blocky in automatic playback settings has got me thinking about the reviewers credibility. From PrE9 experience, if the project settings match the clip settings the playback has always been smooth. The monitor matches the aspect ratio of the clip and the project matches the resolution and the frame rate of the clip. In an i7, which the reviewer says he used, the playback is definitely smooth. I should know, because I have one. But I only have PrE9. If that functionality is not changed (and I see NO reson to change something THAT basic) the reviewer is simply misleading others.

Does the reviewer mean that pan and zoom happens based on the faces in videos? Photoshop Elements has a Face detection option that works fine. If the Premiere Elements folks have done that for video, I find that groundbreaking. But what I have read and understood (I could be wrong) is that they have done it only for stills. Even if they have done it only for images but generate a video out of that, I will find that too useful. Name one other tool that does this, please. I mean detect faces, use that information and generate a video output!!!!

The disc authoring option comment is the funniest!!! If the whole world is divided into PAL countries and NTSC countries, why would you want to export to any other standard? 24fps? Why not 12 fps or 40 fps??

The inputs about the responsiveness is something I cannot counter, because this I have to see for myself. But if someone has it, please throw some light on that. I will not be surprised if it is not as bad as the reviewer puts it.

In short, I hope that no one is going to decide to buy or not buy PrE 10, based on ONLY that review.

• 9. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

Brilliantly written, VDO!

Adobe offers a free trial so that you can test drive the program on your computer. If you're buying or not buying things based on online reviews, you're probably cheating yourself out of a number of experiences. Some of the best products I've ever owned received awful reviews on Amazon.

• 10. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Bob,

You state:

I still cannot believe you cannot trial CS5.5.1

I do not understand this statement. With the introduction of PrPro CS5.5, the "trial" has been the full program, with ALL CODEC's included and installed. The ONLY limit to that trial is the time - 30 days, as before. Now, there is a very recent update for CS 5.5, to the 5.5.1, and as this is very new, and last I checked ONLY available in an automatic update, i.e. no directly downloadable version yet, the trial is probably 5.5.0.0, but as soon as the stand-alone update is available, I suspect that Adobe will change the trial to 5.5.1. This usually takes from 1 - 2 weeks, as the install routine has to be completely re-written, and then coded into the download file. Historically, Adobe has updated the trial (and the full-paid download), as soon as the stand-alone version has been released. By my rough calculation, that should take place sometime this week, if it has not already. Still, one can test-drive CS 5.5.0.0 in its full glory. Note: that was NOT always the way, as all things MPEG were disabled. That changed, and in a very good way, with the release of CS 5.5. There are also no watermarks in that CS 5.5 trial - just the 30 day limit on usage. Kudos to Adobe for handling that version's trial differently and in a much better way.

Just that one change probably saved 1M words in the PrPro forum, as we had to explain what WAS and WAS NOT available in the older versions' trials. Now, there is nothing to explain.

If you are looking to upgrade to PrPro CS 5.5, I urge you to give the trial a full shakedown. Nothing is missing, and nothing is limited. Then, if you have issues, check out Sheri's list of fixes, and improvements in 5.5.1 By the time that you read this, the trial might well incorporate the 5.5.1 update?

As for PrE 10, I have not had the opportunity to test it. I had to decline the beta-testing, due to a very heavy travel schedule, and it taking a bit longer to get me up to 64-bit OS's, than anticipated. However, and as Steve mentions, had I been in the beta-testing corps, I could not comment on that process, due to NDA's. As soon as I am on the ground, more often, than in the air, I intend to test PrE 10, and will report on my observations.

Like you, I have been very pleased with my PrPro 2.0, and other than a handful of Feature Requests to make it better, have never had an issue with it. I held off on CS 3 and CS 4, because there was little that I needed, and because of the reports in the forums on those two versions. I've had CS 5.5 MC just sitting in the box, waiting on the 64-bit machines, so I can load it up, and test. In the meantime, PrPro 2.0 still works beautifully for me.

Good luck, and do give CS 5.5 a test run. I think that you will like it. More on PrE 10, when I get a moment.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

Hi Bill,

I appreciate your advice, I did trial Premiere Elements 9 with all the

watermarks splashed over it and it appeared not as clear as my installed

product. As with CS5.5 I do remember it handled H.264mov clips out of the

Canon 5D mark II, but, the Mercury Engine much advertised was not that fast

and frankly the Sony Vegas left it for dead in it's 32 bit design, let alone

it's ability to handle the much aligned HDV 1440x1080p format from the other

Canon. CS5.5 Captured only the audio, not the video. Yet, Premiere Pro 1.5.1

and Premiere Elements 4 and Sony Vegas with its lovely Stabilizer which is

missing from CS5.5.1was lightning fast in nearly all aspects on my new i7 Pro

64 bit Quad Core with the Nvidia Quadro Fx 3800 and no need to use other

legacy drivers . I do a lot of editing and other work here and I am not

prepared to put up with Adobe's inexplicable foibles in the new products.

If you pay that sort of money especially for After Effects Stabilizer you

expect it to work without problems, and Sony Vegas does just that.

In Australia just one phone call will fix an issue in seconds from 2,500

kilometers away from Sony Vegas Technicians, not Adobe, it it was not for

your contributions in the Forum Adobe may sink in Australia.

Regards,

I need more of that good red liquid ***************

Yes, I have just checked out Sheries list of FIXES, wow, no wonder I had a few issues, I'll see what happens , but, I am extremely happy with Sony , I still use Adobe's software for simple editing, it is like an old shoe, comfortable .

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 12. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

You are dead right mate,

I am from Australia, how is the Mother Country ?

Bob

• 13. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

Hi Steve,

You won't remember me from some twelve months ago ,I really appreciated your advice when I was having issues with old programs working on an i7 64 bit PC,We also still run the Pentium 4 , hyper-threaded, they (the programs) were just not compatible especially Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and many of our craft programs, your advice then solved the issues and a lot of our time and costs without resorting to Adobe etc The older software did indeed run faster and more efficiently after installing Windows PC Mode with Windows Virtual PC..But, I would like to comment on this Premiere Elements10 review in PC World etc. after 6 weeks of using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 a 32 bit application ,also mentioned in this review , it does indeed make 9 & 10 Premiere Elements look rather pedestrian and I can understand tomthumb's gripe, i also refer to Bill's advice to check Sheri's list of Fixes re; CS5.5 which is a reflection of issues in Adobe's new editing products.

• 14. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10

Hi Bill,

I did download CS5.5.1 and yes you were right no watermarks , and yes, it handles my HDV/mpeg-2 avi clips very well and H.264mov HD 1920 x 1080 etc. I find it hard to believe after the last experience it is now so efficient. Only issue I have is, no stabilizer, but, looks like ProDAD Mercalli V2 is the answer & after trials  , it works pretty well. Should get CD/DVD from ProDAD shortly and continue trials , but, PP CS5.5.1 looks the goods.

Thanks,

Bob

• 15. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Good luck, and I think that you will like CS5.5.

Some Mac users, usually on small computers, and wanting everything to work, exactly like FCP did. They seem to think that Adobe owes it them, to create FCP 8, since Apple went to FCPX. They do complain a lot, but most have gotten PrPro CS 5.5 running, and most really like it, so long as they have an adequate computer.

Hope to hear that you love it,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Seriousley thinking of canceling my order for Premiere Elements 10
                                        dranle Level 1

Look at my latest entry to the issue "Stop markers don't work...", that I've just made.

No further comment.

Andreas