3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2006 1:13 PM by tswaters1

Messing with the Glossary

tswaters1 Level 1
      So I've got this application. It's got a few links to my RoboHelp project, one of which is a "Glossary" link and It's been decided that this link should load the glossary with a little instruction page describing to the user -- you're on the glossary page. pick a term, see definition.

So that' fine, I've created the following link (and let me tell ya, it took me a while to figure it out)
      http://www.server.com/robohelpproject/#glossary.htm>>cmd=4

So that link will load the RoboHelp project with glossary.htm, with the Glossary pane showing.

My problem comes when I try to load the Glossary pane/page from within RoboHelp. It makes sense to me that when the user presses Glossary, they should see the glossary.htm page as well because it contains applicable information.
      I see two options, creating a custom button that does all the tricks, or modifying the "Glossary" button to load a page.... neither option got me very far.

Modifying Glossary Button
      What I did was open up whtbar.js, go on down to addButton(), and change the glossary link so it reads:
      onclick=\"showGlossary();return true;\" target=\"bsscright\" href=\"/robohelpproject/glossary.htm\"
      The glossary pane still opens, but the link will doesn't work in IE unless you right click on the image and select "open link"........ so that's a no-fly.

Creating Custom Glossary Button
      My custom button runs some javascript,
      window.open(' http://www.server.com/robohelpproject/#glossary.htm>>cmd=4','_top');
      And it seems to work fine.... Except that the Glossary pane will not load if the Glossary button isn't not on the toolbar!

Conclusion
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... basically I need to load a page when the glossary loads.
        • 1. Re: Messing with the Glossary
          tswaters1 Level 1
          Ok so I found a workaround to my problem... basically I combined the two above options.

So now I have two Glossary buttons. One is the RoboHelp Glossary button, the other is a custom button. I go into the whtbar.js and this time, I set style=display:none on the Glossary section of addButton.... this seems to work like a charm, only two drawbacks:
          1) No longer see "selected" image when glossary is pressed
          2) Need to modify js file every time I regenerate

If anyone up there in Macromedia Headquarters is taking notes for a possible patch to RoboHelp, I would say make it possible for users to modify the JS files that are included with each regeneration of the project. This would be *incredibly* useful.... I've got a list of modifications that need to be made every regeneration of the master project (including TOC synchronization fix for merged proejcts) and if I ever leave my job if someone doesn't find that list and they make a regenreation, there'll be hell to pay.
          • 2. Re: Messing with the Glossary
            RoboWizard Level 4
            Hi tswaters1

There is a way to edit the .JS file and make it stick. I refer to this as "going up the food chain".

Try editing the "seed" whtbar.js file you should find in the following location:

C:\Program Files\RoboHelp Office\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin (assuming you haven't deviated from the installation defaults)

Also, I'd probably want to ensure I kept a backup copy of the file handy. Just in case.

Give that a go and see if it does what you want.

Sincerely... Rick :)
            • 3. Re: Messing with the Glossary
              tswaters1 Level 1
              Thank you Rick !
              You made my life about 20 times easier with that tip there.