7 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2014 6:28 PM by Carl Sun

CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit

Shawn Janes Level 1

I am running a Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise Edition machine. This machine was set-up by me yesterday - brand new installation of all software. I have Adobe CS5 Master Collection installed. Almost everything works as it should, however, Extension Manager is not loading at all.

When I click on either the shortcut or .exe file nothing happens - no window or anything. When I check System Processes I can see it in the list and I end it.

I have ready about 50 differnt discussions on this issue and here's where I am:

1) I set-up the log file. Everything is loading there appropriately.

2) I checked my verision of Air - installed and up-to-date.

3) The last thing I've done was found in a post by an Adobe employee and I've included it below:

--

I guess you logon to domain at work. Is it true? Could you please try to run Extension Manager as local administrator user? You don't have to logon to local machine, still logon to domain instead. Make sure you have a local administrator account. Press Shift key down, right click "Extension Manager CS4.exe", select "Run as different user" from context menu, input your local account (format is: <YourComputerName>\<LocalAdministratorUserName>) and password, click OK.

--

Item number 3 worked perfectly for me. I am on a domain computer. My account is an administrator account, but I thought I'd give it a try nonetheless. I followed the instructions above and BAM it worked. I closed the Extension Manager and tried to open it the normal way, no luck.

Based on this information can anyone help me resolve this issue? I have some extensions I need to get installed for a project I need to wrap up today, and this might push me into the weekend.

Any advice or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Shawn.

• 1. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
          Carl Sun Level 4

Please grant local user proper permissions to the following directories, Right click a directory in Windows Explorer, select "Properties", click "Security" tab page, click "Edit..." button, select local user account in the upper list, check "Modify" in lower list ("Write" will be checked automatically), click "OK" button twice to exit.

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Fireworks CS5\EmStorePath

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Fireworks CS5\Extensions

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Fireworks CS5\PreInstall

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.0\<Locale>\Extensions

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.0\EmStorePath

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Pro CS5\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\Public\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager

C:\Users\Public\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5\FlashCS5

C:\Users\Public\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5\Illustrator CS5

C:\Users\Public\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5\Premiere Pro CS5

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS5\<Locale>\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Contribute CS5\<Locale>\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS5\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS5\<Locale>\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5\Configuration\Extensions

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.0\<Locale>

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Configuration\Extensions

• 2. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
            Shawn Janes Level 1

Thank you Carl.

I have two user accounts on this system and I listed them below:

1)    Local user Admin account: SJanes

2)    Domain account: GC\Shawn

I have both SJanes and GC\Shawn in the Administrators group of this computer.

I did what you said, I went to each of the locations listed in your post and made sure SJanes and GC\Shawn were listed with write permissions. I rebooted my computer and I still have the same issue.

I made the permission changes on the account I use daily which is GC\Shawn. Should I have added GC\Shawn permissions to SJanes?

Thanks for your help.

Shawn.

• 3. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
              Carl Sun Level 4

Sorry, in my post, "local user account" should be "domain user account", it's my typo. You don't need add permissions to SJanes.

The root cause seems not permission issue, but conflict issue. Please move all files under "C:\Users\<YourDomainUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust" to somewhere, then launch Extension Manager in the normal way. If it worked, then a specific software which is relevant to one of those files conflicts with Extension Manager. You can move those files back one by one to see which software it is.

• 4. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
                cblack412 Level 1

I tried what Carl suggested and isolated the files and put the back one by one. Turns out the flashfirebug file was the one causing the problem for me:

http://code.google.com/p/flashbug/issues/detail?id=34

Give Carl the answer points and me the helpful points if this has worked out for you

Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
                  Shawn Janes Level 1

Thank you Carl. Your insight helped. I removed all extensions and added them back one by one. The culprint, like cblack412, was an extension for Firefox called flashfirebug. I removed that extension from the directory and it worked fine.

Thank you for your help.

Shawn.

• 6. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
                    shawnk2520 Level 1

I'm having the same issues as originally described by cblack412. However, after attempting the same fix as described here, I'm still seeing issues. Can we please reopen this item?

Windows 8 64bit
                    Creative Cloud / CC

I should mention that I did attempt to install a Photoshop extension a few months back when I first noticed the issues. I'll start to collect that info for this conversation. Super thankful for any assistance out there.

s

• 7. Re: CS5 Extension Manager Won't Load -- WIN7 64-Bit
                      Carl Sun Level 4

Hi, cblack412 didn't describe his problem, it's Shawn Janes who described his problem, but he was using EM CS5. Do you mean that nothing happens when you launch EM CC except a process in Task Manager? Which version of EM are you using (7.0.0.347, 7.1.1.32, ...You can check it in Properties dialog of "Adobe Extension Manager CC.exe") Could you find ExManCoreLibrary.log under "C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CC\Log" folder?