4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2011 11:05 AM by peter minneapolis

How do I change the paragraph format of paragraphs that comes before a list of bullets in one shot

spktrm11

I receive word documents to convert to indesign files based on a template. I have a set of find and replace queries that do most of the work.

The manual work I am doing is as follows:

• Changing the paragraph style of all body copy that comes before before bullets
      • Changing the paragraph style of last bullets and last subbullets

What is the simplest way of changing the paragraph styles of every body copy before a list of bullets.

I am doing more and more of these on a daily basis and would REALLY appreciate some insight.

Not sure if this can only be done in a script.

Hope that made sense.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I change the paragraph format of paragraphs that comes before a list of bullets in one shot
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Not sure from your post what exactly is the hurdle, but -

Bullets is usually based on Body, with a bullet being the change.

Last bullet would be based on Bullets with space after applied. You may want Last bullet to have Body defenied as Next Style.

Are you wanting the paragraph before Bullets to have a space after/before the Bullets style? (It could also carry the Next Style as Bullets)

• 2. Re: How do I change the paragraph format of paragraphs that comes before a list of bullets in one shot
            spktrm11 Level 1

Thanks for the response. I already have established styles. I have a style for "last bullet" and one for "bullets before last". I am trying to do a find and replace so I don't have to individually change the paragraph style of every last bullet.

Document:

Paragraph Text. (I want to be able to find this specific paragraph, which would be any paragraph before a bullet and change its style.)

• bullet text
            • bullet text
            • bullet text
            • bullet text (I want to be able to find this specific bullet (bullet text) and replace it with (last bullet))

Paragraph Text

I want to avoid having to go through the document to change the style of every last bullet that i find manually. I would like to find (based on it's position - any bullet that is followed by a paragraph)

Hope this makes more sense

• 3. Re: How do I change the paragraph format of paragraphs that comes before a list of bullets in one shot
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a script that does exactly what you're asking for. My website is

www.freelancebookdesign.com

Go to the scripts tab and find the script called "Change consecutive

paragraphs." There's a demo version to download.

I've also got a script (which isn't on the website yet) which might help

you: Say you've got a list of bullets and they've all got paragraph

style called "bullet regular" -- you probably want the first bullet in

the list to have a special paragraph style that applies space before,

and the last bullet in the list to have a different style that has space

after, and all the middle bullets to have no space before or after. In

short -- my script handles all that and applies the right styles

throughout the document.

Thanks,

Ariel

• 4. Re: How do I change the paragraph format of paragraphs that comes before a list of bullets in one shot
                peter minneapolis Level 4

spktrm11 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I already have established styles. I have a style for "last bullet" and one for "bullets before last". I am trying to do a find and replace so I don't have to individually change the paragraph style of every last bullet.

Document:

Paragraph Text. (I want to be able to find this specific paragraph, which would be any paragraph before a bullet and change its style.)

• bullet text
                • bullet text
                • bullet text
                • bullet text (I want to be able to find this specific bullet (bullet text) and replace it with (last bullet))

Paragraph Text

I want to avoid having to go through the document to change the style of every last bullet that i find manually. I would like to find (based on it's position - any bullet that is followed by a paragraph)

Hope this makes more sense

Have you considered following lists with a "paragraph after list" style, like your paragraph before list style? This might be more appropriate for authors to apply while they create content. The idea is that all list items use a single style, so that rearranging items within the list doesn't require retagging the first or last list paragraph to adjust space or numbering when the first or last item is moved into the list.

If this is a common problem in your work, you might want to post a feature request for smarter paragraph styles that can detect whether they're first, last, or interior list items, and adjust their properties as appropriate to their position. You can post your request here: wish

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices