20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 10:50 AM by Darren Hall

PrP - not ready yet...

Macphil11

At least I can say: I gave it a try. But, after really putting Prp 5.5 to a test and likeing it quite a lot, I have to go back to fcp.

Main reason is, that PrP is not for people who have to deliver their stuff to TV-Stadions. And: at least for Macs, it's a resource eating app - I had cuda, and I had 32 GB of RAM in my 8 Kernel x 2,66 GHz macpro. And still there has been lacks in performance that are not tolerable if there is  a customer sitting right next to you. Multicam-monitoring is just a show of pixels.

I gave up on fcp because of 2 reasons: no external monitoring via Blackmagic (or any other). And no real audio-routing - consumer-stylish export of just stereo-tracks.  And today I had to find out, PrP is limited in this regard, too. To an extreme, that you have to use a workaround that leads straight to final cut pro! Well, if this is the only way, why should I leave fcp at all?

I don't regret my weeks with prp - and sure hope, that adobe really works on this nle. Then, I'm pretty sure, that I will come back. Until then I have to warn oher switcher: if you're coming from fcp - you might not want to change to prp, yet.

What I have been enjoying: the support from adobe right here in the forum (Todd, thumbs up). It seems, that you guys listen to Ur costumers. That's another point, why I want to leave that apple-app. You just don't know, what they are planning next. And if, at all, they plan something you will like and can use. I still  don't think, that fcpx will be something, pros will be able to work with!

Thanks 4 listening.

Philipp

• 1. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

PrP is not for people who have to deliver their stuff to TV-Stadions.

I've been delivering broadcast material from Premiere to TV stations since 2004.

Sorry it doesn't work for you.

Happy_Trails0001.png

• 2. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
            Macphil11 Level 1

A funny dude!

What are you delivering - in what lengths? I am doing long documentarys, 60 minutes plus.

Trails are not all happy, now going back. As it leaves me wondering, what comes next. Will prp 6 be the fcp-switcher-saver? Or will  avid be the only solution?

• 3. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
              Jon Chappell Level 3

Macphil11 wrote:

I gave up on fcp because of 2 reasons: no external monitoring via Blackmagic (or any other).

I'm not sure what you mean by this as Blackmagic and competing cards are supported by both FCP and Premiere.

• 4. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                Macphil11 Level 1

Well, Jon: Yes, it works with prp too. But just when using a sequence with Blackmagic  setting. And: no mercury engine with these settings!! And cuda support is essential, if you wanna have fun with prp. Without there's not much of it left (as the performance suffers badly)

• 5. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                  lasvideo Level 4

So go complain to Black Magic! They create the drivers to work with Adobe. AJA has done lots to improve their products.

• 6. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I think you'll find plenty of people using the Creative Suite, including Premiere Pro, to deliver broadcast content.  Several here in this forum, more if you did some Googling.  (Adobe isn't ashamed about promoting them.)

If you don't like the way the software behaves on a Mac, then finish the switch you started by leaving FCP and move on to Windows 7.  It works very well here.

• 7. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                      Macphil11 Level 1

@lasvideo: I don't blame anybody, it's just not working.

@Jim: moving to a PC/windows is something that is last on the line of changes. And for the pros under prpusers: long features in a mac-environment? Not even Walter biscardy, a fcp-switcher who's blogging about his change a lot, will manage that without losses=time abusing workarounds!

Don't get me wrong: U would rather stay with pro than going back. But I have a 4 hour program to fulfill and this I won't with prp. Not yet, maybe with prp6?

• 8. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                        Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I'm not sure what you mean about no MPE/cuda support with Blackmagic.  On a PC I am using MPE hardware acceleration through a Quadro FX3800 and have external monitoring via a BM Intensity Pro.

Admittedly, one has to use BM settings/codecs, but they are pretty darn good and don't exclude cuda support.  According to BM, Adobe CS 5 and 5.5 were built around their API.

• 9. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                          Macphil11 Level 1

Lucky you, if it Works with a pc; it is definitly not work with a mac. It's a wether cuda or bm.

• 10. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                            lasvideo Level 4

@lasvideo: I don't blame anybody, it's just not working.

There seems to be a communications problem here. I didnt suggest you need to blame anyone, I suggested you talk to the compnay (BM) that is responsible for the lack of performance you are unhappy with. Only they can write the drivers for their hardware so it works better with PrP.

• 11. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                              Macphil11 Level 1

I did, lasvideo. And for aja: same thing.does not work with cuda/mercury engine.

• 12. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                Macphil11 Level 1

And maybe I should have titled (if it's true, that prp is doing broadcast-ready on a pc):

Prp, not ready for mac, yet...

• 13. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                  needles27 Level 3

I'm not out yet, but my initial excitement about switching is almost used up.  I realize that this is isn't a productive post - my individual problems and questions are posted in the appropriate threads - but maybe it is another data point for a potential FCP switcher doing some research.  Premiere Pro in a lot of ways on a Mac (some common harware, some common file types/Codecs, etc.) is just not ready.  In most of my usuage so far (4 months in) the software is a roadblock instead of getting out of the way and letting me flow in my edit. I'm not talking about the learning curve, but rather bugs, crashes, sluggishness and frustrations.

Fo those of you who have been using the software without many problems - I envy you and hope to be there someday. 

Meanwhile, I dutifully submit bug reports and feature requests, yell at the screen a lot, and keep my fingers crossed for the future.  I see the potential and have hope.

• 14. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Last I checked CS5.5 worked fine on the Mac's with the Blackmagic drivers. I may have to test again. Not all of the Blackmagic presets will work with the MPE engine. Most do but not ones that use their preview codec instead of Adobe's. You have to select the presets that use the Adobe Premiere Algorithm which are the codecs native to Adobe. The MPE engine performance with the Quadro 4000 card is not bad at all. The export times are slower but the preview performance is good.

I am curious what you mean on audio routing. What specific audio routing do you require on export since routing for preview and mixing is fine?

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                      Darren Hall Level 1

Hi Eric

I have just found that CS5.5.1 and BM 8.6 (Ultra studio Pro) don't work (this is on a PC). I reverted back to CS5.5 and it worked but had a few issues with ref monitors not updating so I uninstalled BM drivers and copy and pasted time line into a new Adobe sequence and the machine feels 10 times better. I hope BM staff monitor this forum and I hope they come up with a solution for the problems so far I have been very happy with BM ultra studio pro.

the main problem was when trimming on the time line the machine would just hang and you would have to restart Pr.

Darren

• 16. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                        Macphil11 Level 1

"...since routing for preview and mixing is fine".

Well, the adobe problem is: neither prp nor the media encoder are able to export/transcode audio tracks other than: a single mono, stereo or 5.1. That's it. That's poor. Example: I have xdcam hd 422 clips, including 4 tracks of audio (possible:8 tracks) and I want the encoder (which really is so much better than apples compressor) to transcode the clips into apple Pro res. Well, looks fine, but I will just end up with whether one single track or a stereo. I have no idea how a pro app possibly is limited in such a way.

I would have loved to stay with prp, but had to switch back to fcp (which also has its limitations and bugs and performance issues (especially with long-GOP/mpeg2 clips). But fcp is on the other hand much better- external monitoring and exporting audio tracks is smoothly integrated.

• 17. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                          lasvideo Level 4

Darren "I hope BM staff monitor this forum and I hope they come up with a solution"

Darren, instead of just hoping, why dont you contact them and make sure they solve the problem. Motivate them.

• 18. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I have dropped a line to Chris Pearse at BM and told him of the present issues.

• 19. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                              Darren Hall Level 1

lasvideo wrote:

Darren "I hope BM staff monitor this forum and I hope they come up with a solution"

Darren, instead of just hoping, why dont you contact them and make sure they solve the problem. Motivate them.

Lasvideo,

If you read the other posts you will see in one of them that I said I have emailed them. I was meaning if one of the BM staff monitor the forum they will find a few issues users are having not just mine.

Darren

• 20. Re: PrP - not ready yet...
                                                Darren Hall Level 1

Hi J-MS

great stuff thanks

Darren