I have produced two projectors on a Mac to run on both Mac
and Windows. Mac versions work perfectly. On the Windows side, on
one projector all is well for a while, then sounds in channel one
stop playing, while channel two works perfectly. On the other
projector, the sounds on channel two stop after a time, while
channel one works perfectly.
All sounds are AIFF format, 22500 sampling rate, 8 bit depth.
All are imported to Director cast, not linked.
No video, no MIAWs, no Shockwave audio.
The basic structure of the projector is a main file which
includes a menu system that takes users to various sub-files. As
each sub-file ends, the users return to the menu file or go to the
next sub file in sequence. A given sub file will always play
perfectly if it is one of the first few chosen, but after running
several sub files, all sub files have the sound channel not playing
problem, even ones that ran perfectly just moments before.
I am using an HP Pavilion a210e computer running Windows XP
Pro. I have taken the projectors to a friend's Windows 98 machine
and get exactly the same results.
I have tried setting purge priorities to get sound files out
of memory. I have each subfile preloading its sounds. I tried
attaching sounds to Sprites.
I have seen a bunch of folks having problems like this
using mp3 sounds instead of AIFF. PCs are notoriously bad at
with AIFF formatted files, and I have seen postings that
to this where the sound works for a while then a channel
If memory serves, using MP3 audio worked better.