4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 4:33 PM by rontiara

CS4 master pages don't transfer

rontiara Level 1

I created a book using a 6x9 format, but after I got the entire 39 chapters formatted, I realized I needed to switch to 5x8 format.  It should be easy -- just move the new masters I created in Chapter 1 to the other chapters.  Only it doesn't work.

I did what the instructions said:  opened both chapters 1 and 2 and in the Page flyout menu, selected "move pages".  I selected Chapter 2 as my destination.  But nothing happened.  The masters in Chapter 2 are still 6x9.

I tried synchronizing the entire book using Chapter 1 as the Style Source, but that doesn't work, either.  None of the masters changed.  Yes, I selected Master Pages in the Synchronization menu.

I also tried to import master pages using the Pages flyout menu.  That didn't work, either.

I even tried deleting the 6x9 master pages.  Well, that was a disaster!  InDesign crashed. 

Having to reformat all the masters for all 39 chapters is ridiculous, but I can't see any other way to do it.

HELP!!

• 1. Re: CS4 master pages don't transfer
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you ever resolve this?

I suspect the problem is related to the new ability of ID to have multiple page sizes. You can apply a master to apage, then cvhange the page size without affecting the master, and apply a different master without changing the edited size.

• 2. Re: CS4 master pages don't transfer
            rontiara Level 1

No, Peter, I never solved it.  But thank you for asking!

I finally started a whole new book, with the smaller master pages.  I saved a few blank pages for each chapter file, then I copied and pasted the text of each chapter onto the new pages.  Fortunately I was able to transfer paragraph and character styles to the new document, and the formatting of the copied text transferred also.

But it was still a lot of work.

I don't even want to think about trying to design a document with different size pages!

• 3. Re: CS4 master pages don't transfer
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When I've had to change the page size for a book like this I've done it using Layout Adjustment and Document Setup, then making whatever changes need to be made to masters, but the last time that was necessary was in CS4, so I don't really know what would happen in later versions. I do think that if you changed the document setup size first, then synching the masters would probably have worked (though you might alos have to turn on Layout Adjustment, too, depending on whether there were master text frames or not).

• 4. Re: CS4 master pages don't transfer
                rontiara Level 1

I've lost track of all the different approaches I took!  I may not have done them in the right order, though.  I did learn one thing:  don't do that again!

If I'm ever crazy enough to get into this predicament again, I'll probably do as I did on this one:  set up a whole new book with clean formatting.

>