3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2011 4:40 AM by Peter Spier

Newbie needs InDesign CS5 help: text overflow into new page

TheAlienAlias

Hello...  so, I've been using InDesign CS5 to create a document, because it transfers nicely into the pdf format.  I had written most of the stuff a couple months ago, am transferring it to InDesign via copy and paste, and then have to go in an "re-do" the bolds and italics and hyper links etc, b/c it does not transfer those things to InDesign.  I can live with that.  However, with this 10+ page document, how can I copy all my text and paste it onto 10 pages+ of InDesign, rather than piece-by-piece on a page-by-page basis?

As of now, I have to take the first page of my original, and then copy and paste and estimate, add and subtract until the sizing is right...  and then I have to do that with page 2...  and page 3... and page 4.. and... well, you get the idea.  More than 10 pages of this!  Now, the straw breaking this camel's back is the fact that I have to go in and do a revision in one part...  so that I have to move and shift part of page 2 to page 3, and page 3 to page 4, and page 4 to page 5, and...   ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! 

Is there ANY way to get text to simply overflow from one page to the next?  When you try to drag a text box down to the next page you've added, it stops at the bottom of the page and will not let you flow into the next page.  I am not particularly tech savvy and don't know coding or html or etc.  I am looking for a way to allow text to flow from one page to the next as if you were writing a Word doc.

I have 80 more pages and 7 more documents to do this with.  Please help!  I want to cry at the thought of dealing with this in every single 8 to 12 page document I'm recreating. 

• 1. Re: Newbie needs InDesign CS5 help: text overflow into new page
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't told us from what application the text is coming. Microsoft Word? TextEdit?

If either of those applications (or something similar that can save text, Rich Text Format or Microsoft Word format), you can choose File > Place and place the original document. You'll get a placement cursor. If you click the cursor, it will fill the blank column on your current page. To get it to continue to flow, and to add new pages using the same guides and columns, hold down the Shift key which clicking the cursor. This is called Autoflowing. You can read about this further in InDesign Help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie needs InDesign CS5 help: text overflow into new page
            TheAlienAlias Level 1

Steve-  Thanks!  I wrote it in a WYSIWYG website editor which is not Dreamweaver.  Homestead, to be exact.  All in all, just learning about the term "Autoflowing" was helpful enough and gives me a great starting point.  When you don't know what you don't know, it makes the help section nearly worthless at times!  Thank you. 

-Kristi-

• 3. Re: Newbie needs InDesign CS5 help: text overflow into new page
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

All is not lost for autoflow even using copy paste. Here's a nifty little trick that will help you:

ID does not require a text frame before you paste, so if you don't start with one, or don't use the one you've already drawn, ID will conveniently draw a 2" square text frame in the center of the screen if you issue a paste command. This frame will contain all of the copied text, but most of it will be overset (you'll see a red plus sign inthe "out port" on the lower right of the frame).

Overset text can be picked up and flowed using autoflow, just as if you were placing a text file, so use the selection tool (black arrow) to select that small text frame if it isn't already selected, then click the red plus sign to pick up the overset. You should now have a loaded text cursor that looks sort of like the upper left corner of a page. DON'T click it anywhere yet.

First press backspace to delete the small text frame (which should have remained selected). Now you can start your auto-flow holding the Shift key and clicking your loaded cursor wherever you like. All of the text, including what was visible in the now deleted frame is in the cursor waiting for you.