9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 1:55 PM by Peter Spier

Multiple pages and text for book layout?

David Bahm

Hi All,

Can you point me in the direction of a tutorial or discussion about how to duplicate text boxes over multiple pages for a book? I understand master pages, page numbers, etc., and even how to repeat the text box and chaining them together, but what if I have the text boxes placed, then decide I need to have more of a bottom margin, or need more right margin on the left page and more left margin on the right? When there are 350 pages, there must be an easy way to do this. I've searched online and am not finding anything.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If your text frames (whether or not thay are master text frames) are snapped to guides you can enable Layout > Layout Adjustment, then move to your master page and change the margins. Frames will adjust.

Master frames, if not altered on the document page, will also adjust without Layout Adjustment being enabled if you alter them on the master page. Most experienced users, though, prefer to work without master frames for running text and simply set the margin guides to the size of the text block. Autoflow will make frames on the document pages that fill the margins.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?
            David Bahm Level 1

Thanks for your help, Peter. I've never used InDesign specifically for book publishing, so a lot of this is new for me.

Another question: Is there something that can be done when a return between paragraphs lands at the top or bottom of a page? The white space is awkward. Is that something that I can tell the text box to do (ie "Ignore returns at top and bottom of box") or is that something I can specify in the paragraph style (ie 12 pt space before first line), and then delete the return between paragraphs?

• 3. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

Another question: Is there something that can be done when a return between paragraphs lands at the top or bottom of a page? The white space is awkward. Is that something that I can tell the text box to do (ie "Ignore returns at top and bottom of box") or is that something I can specify in the paragraph style (ie 12 pt space before first line), and then delete the return between paragraphs?

Absolutely; double returns/empty paragraphs, should be avoided. Set Space After in the Papragraph Style.

• 4. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?

Or Space Before for the following paragraph...

• 5. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?
                  David Bahm Level 1

That's what I figured... thanks, guys.

• 6. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?
                    Daniel Flavin Level 4

fyi, if your looking at 350 pages of text with double returns, you can change that pretty quick with Find/Replace.

^p^p

^p

• 7. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?

You might also want to xonsider using the FindChangeByList sample script.

It uses GREP instead of Daniel's plain text search so it picks up not just two reurns in a rwo, but any number greater than one. It also finds leading and trailing white space in a paragraph (the only time paragrapjs should start with a tab is if they are part of a table and the first item is blank for that line, otherwise use a first-line indent), and multiple spaces used after punctuation (an old typewriter habit) or just inserted by mistake).

If you don't want to do all of those things, the GREP for replacing multiple returns is to find \r\r+ and replace with \r

• 8. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?
                        David 66

What is GREP? I'd never heard of it until researching how to work on this book. Looks like it's some kind of coding feature, but what is it for and how does it work?

• 9. Re: Multiple pages and text for book layout?

GREP stands for General Regular Expression Parsin, or something or the sort. A "regular expression" is some sort of pattern, which needn't be a specific text string such as you need for a text-based search and replace, so you can do all sorts of very useful things like find 2 or more of something without specifying how many, or finding a digit, but only if it comes after a particular character or before a comma, and myriad other things. It has some similarities to reading or writing a programming language but is pretty simplified and not too hard to learn.

It's a very powerful search technique, and it became avialble to users of ID in CS3. You can read more about it the help files, or my recommendation is that you purchase Peter Kahrel's very excellent book (available for about $10 from O'Reilly as PDF or ebook). ID makes a lot of the coding simple by allowing you to pick things from the lists next to the search and replace fields, too, and a lot of volunteers here will help you with both tricky and simple expressions.