3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2011 9:53 PM by Rick Gerard

How to do this or similar effect

ksemple Level 1
      Does anyone know how to make those special effects for secret agent and mission films, where as the numbers, the name, and so would come up on the screen, identifying the agent. 1:52 in this video as a example of what am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDmidiLxQM
        • 1. Re: How to do this or similar effect
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's just animated artwork as a layer or layers above the video using a blend mode. You could create the artwork in Illustrator, Photoshop or with shapes or masks in AE. Add a little text, some glow, and set the blend mode to screen or add.

• 2. Re: How to do this or similar effect
            ksemple Level 1

Gerard thanks for the answer, but one other thing, how do you get the numbers and stuff like that move. Am new to post production and I have project deadline for the 30th October.

• 3. Re: How to do this or similar effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are hundreds of ways, maybe even thousands of ways to get numbers to animate. It all depends on what you want to do. You can use the Numbers Effect (Effects>Text>Numbers) applied to a solid. It's a little clunky but easy. You just animate the offset value.

You can apply a character offset animator to a text layer and animate either the offset or the range selector.

You could tie an expression to the source text that is driven by time, an expression slider, position, scale, or any other value. This expression, for example, will display the X position value of a null. You would simply animate the null position to make the numbers change. The starting value is either added or subtracted from the center of the composition.

sv = 500; // Start Value
              v = thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position[0];
              c = thisComp.width/2;
              xpos = v - c + sv ;
              Math.round(xpos)

I could go on for pages and pages. A Google search for After Effects numbers tutorials will bring up lots of resources. I suggest that you start there.