2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2011 8:26 AM by Michael Gianino

Object Styles Override

Michael Gianino Level 4

InDesign 7.0.4 on Mac OS 10.6.6.

I work for a company that does ad sheets for several clients. One client wants a drop shadow with a specific opacity,  angle, and Y offset. The others in my office are new to ID, and don't use styles of any kind, so I've introduced some basic paragraph and character styles, as well as this one drop-shadow object style into our ads. Because we feature many of the same products with the same copy from one ad to the next, our workflow is to find a SKU on a previous ad, copy the images and text frames to the new ad, and change the prices. It's  not the best workflow, but I don't set the policy.

Anyway, because some of the old ads have the wrong drop shadows, I routinely apply my object style to any product art I have to use. The strange thing is that sometimes if I select two images and apply the object style, the local override + sign appears in the object styles pallet. If I select each image one-at-a-time, there is no + on either, but it shows when I select them together. I have Clear Overrides when Applying Style checked, and I've also tried holding the Option key when clicking the object style name to clear overrides, but the only thing that works is to place each image again and then apply the object styles to the newly-placed images. This is probably the better workflow anyway, but I often have to edit work done by others, and it's convenient to be able to just apply the object style and be assured when I don't see the + that the object style has taken.

Anything obvious I'm missing, or is this probably just extra junk that has been saved along with these files over time?

• 1. Re: Object Styles Override
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hi Michael,

This is purely speculation, but perhaps what you are seeing is a reflection of applying the style to a collection of objects rather than to the objects themselves. If they were actually grouped you'd be applying the style to the group, and you could also apply a style to the individual objects, I think.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Object Styles Override
            Michael Gianino Level 4

That's a good point, Peter. After I had posted this, I accidentally applied my object style to a group, and found that there is a different behavior when compared to applying the object style to an individual object. I can see the benefit of having a specific behavior when applying an object style to an individual object, and a different behavior when applying to a grouped set of objects, but I wonder if it has been designed to act differently when those objects are not grouped, or if I'm just seeing an anomaly. Since it only happenes intermittently, I'd say it's probably the latter.

I'd welcome any other thoughts.