Asus Sabertooth x58

Corsair Vengeance 12GB RAM 1600Mhz

Asus Nvidia GTX 550 Ti 1Gb DDR5

Corsair H60 Cooler

Cooler Master GX 750W

Cooler Master HAF 922

1TB HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

My question is that why does GPUSniffer shows my Nvidia GTX550 Ti 1GB card as 723MB card? Its frustrating? On studio1productions site they stated that the on board video card is interfering. The Asus Sabertooth x58 does not have on board video. Please help me out. How can I can activiate MPE in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5?

Thanks,

Shaheryar Ahmed

(sharry0048)

• 1. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you added the name to the "cuda_supported_cards.txt file?  You have to format it precisely as the GPU Sniffer shows it.

• 2. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack
            sharry0048 Level 1

The GPUSniffer states that it is 729MB and it needs to be at least 756MB to be on the cuda_supported_cards.txt. I still did enter it in the text file but it did not happen. I entered it the way GPUSniffer showed next to the renderer string or the name of the card.

• 3. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Best guess is the card does not actually have 1GB of memory.

• 4. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack
                sharry0048 Level 1

@Jim: There are users of the same card of have successfully cuda hacked their gpus! studio1productions is one of them!

• 5. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack

Shaheryar,

I happen to be one of those that has that card in my collection.  I will be busy all day today but I will try to install it tonight and see what I read.  One thing you might want to do is remove the 3D and PhysX drivers which are of no value to CS5 or CS5.5.  That is my standard procedure  My card is a PNY card.  You may have seen my MPE results in this table that I have published a number of times so I know it did work in my X58 motherboard.

MPE-Study-2.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

users of the same card of have successfully cuda hacked

Not sure that means much.  Each card manufacturer decides how much memory to put on their card, what clock speeds to run at, etc.  Your 550 might very well have less memory than someone else's 550.  Or one of the memory modules on the card may be bad.

Not saying that IS the problem, only that it seems a very likely possibility given the described symptoms.  You can find out for sure by running Process Explorer.  Along the top bar you'll see updating graphs.  Click on one of those and a new window will open.  Go to the GPU tab, and it will tell you exactly how much dedicated graphics memory Windows sees on the card.

• 7. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack

Well, I installed my GTX 550 Ti and ran GPUSniffer after I modified my "cuda_supported_cards.txt"file and it works fine. Since my GPUSniffer said my unit had "Total Video Memory 992MB" that either your board (as Jim said) is not a 1 GB model or is defective.  After considerable searching I could not find any models listed with less than 1 GB, but that of course in not conclusive.  I suggest you verify from the part number that first you really have a 1 GB model and then if that is the case return it as defective.

• 8. Re: Help me with Cuda Hack
                        sharry0048 Level 1

Thank you, everyone! I've solved the issue. A friend of mine got some gtx 5 series card and even he couldnt get it to work but then he updated the driver from the nvidia site and then it worked. I have done the same and the cuda is working fine.

Thanks for all the help!