6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 5:22 AM by Zoop studio

New SB build review

Roysn

I'm building a new computer to use for editing in premiere, after effects and green screen work (the green screen part is completely new to me so I don't really know what that entails). It'll also be used as a DAW as well as a standard office machine but I think I've got that pretty much covered. Also I won't be doing any gaming.

The footage will come from a Nikon D7000 and a GoPro HD-hero, both of which afaik use h.264 compression. The end result will be music videos and commercials, from around 3m to 12m-ish. So there will be a lot of takes of the same scenes from different angles (poor man's multicam ) but the files won't be huge. The end result is intended to be viewed primarily on youtube etc, and will be mostly 720p though it would be good to have the option to use 1080p.

Here's what I've put together:

PSU     Antec TP-750

MB     Asus P8Z68-V PRO

CPU     Intel Core i7 2600K

COOLER Xigmatek Gaia SD1283

RAM     G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 16GB CL9

GPU     Gigabyte GeForce GTS 450 OC 1GB DDR5

HD     2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB

I already have an Antec Solo case to put it in, as well as a Spinpoint T166 HD501LJ that I'm contemplating using for OS drive. It's getting pretty old, though, so maybe I should get another F3 for the OS? For simplicity I'm hoping to get away with a simple non-raid 3-disk setup ie OS+pagefile /media+projects / previews+cache+exports, is this a good idea or would the benefits of adding a few more disks be massive? Footage and export backups will be done to external drives and over the network, and there won't be a lot of overlapping critical jobs so recovery time in case of disk failure is not a priority.

For the video card I'm looking at a GTS 450 and doing the text file hack, mostly for budget reasons but also to keep the temperatures down - I would like the option of putting a passive cooler on it if it turns out to be very noisy.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts:)

• 1. Re: New SB build review
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks good. If you want an affordable new OS disk, have a look at the Samsung Spinpoint 320 GB F4. Around € 32 here, including the massive 19% VAT.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New SB build review
            Roysn Level 1

Oh, your massive 19% has nothing on our 25% here in Norway

The 320GB F4 is basically the same price as the 500GB F3 here, any obvious reasons why I should go for the F4?

• 3. Re: New SB build review
              RjL190365 Level 4

In this case, you pay a small premium for the slightly faster physical sequential speed of the F4. The 320GB F4 is a single-platter, single-head design while the 500GB F3 is a single-platter, two-head design (each head has access to one side of the platter). Both drives have roughly equal random access speeds (around 13.8 ms).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New SB build review
                Frédéric Segard Level 2

25%???? OUCH!!!! And I was complaining at 14% here in Canada (GST+PST)

I have a D7000 as a backup for my HPX-370. I mainly use it for stopmotion and timelapse. But unless you use an external HDMI recording device that records intra frame 4:2:2, you won't get a nice key off H.264 footage that's recorded on an SD card. But if you do record on SD cards, always record 1080p. Then send it to YouTube at 720p.

• 5. Re: New SB build review
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I personally would opt for a GTX 550 as a newer generation card of about the same price   Also overcolocking the GPU does no good for CS5/CS5.5 Premiere.

• 6. Re: New SB build review
                    Zoop studio Level 1

I just build almost the same system like yours, I only have another disk set up: 1x Samsung HD502hj 500Gb for OS/Programs 2x Samsung HD 502 hj in raid 0 for preview etc and a Hitachi 7K3000 2 Tb for footage files( from your Nikon D7000) I'd like to ad 3 Hitachi's (4 disks in raid 10 for footage) but, like you, I only use D7000 footage for this moment.

It works like hell: 5 PIP layers of the D7000 footage, No problemo!

I've the same mobo, its great 1 button overclocking ( I set it on fast in stead of extreme and the cpu runs on 4.46 Ghz)

Also the gts 450 with the 2 fans is great, cheap and the same MPE power like the 470 or 570 serie.