7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2011 10:11 AM by Peter Spier

How to set a default font?

LarryM01 Level 1

You would expect to be able to set a defaut  font to use in a layout program like Indesign CS3 - but NO!

No such choice in Edit>Preferences. Or anywhere else...

Do you know how to set a default font?

I don't want to go into choosing my wanted font EVERY time when I want to put in some text.

/Larry

• 1. Re: How to set a default font?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Without any document open: just select any font. With a document open: just select any font. WIth a document open and the text cursor inside a text frame: just select any font.

• 2. Re: How to set a default font?
            LarryM01 Level 1

That does not set a default font, does it?

But I found the answer:

Type>Font, mark a font.  The marked font will now be the default font

Like Type>Size. A marked size becomes the deafult.

/Larry

• 3. Re: How to set a default font?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

How does your "mark a font" differ from my "select a font"? Does it not do the same?

(Apart from the minor issue my terminology is the standard one. Fonts don't get "marked".)

• 4. Re: How to set a default font?
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jongware is correct. In the InDesign Help document or any book about InDesign, the correct term is to "select" a font.

• 5. Re: How to set a default font?
                  LarryM01 Level 1

You are missing the point.

Mark or select is not the point. anyone goes.

The point is that a font SELECTED in a document does not set it default.

You have MARK, SECLECT OR WHATEVER the font in Type > Font to make it default.

That was the point.

/Larry

• 6. Re: How to set a default font?
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand what kind of distinction you're trying to make between marking a font and selecting a font.

Here is what you're doing: You close all open documents. You choose the Type tool. You choose the Character Formatting mode of the Control panel. You SELECT your Font Family, Style, Type Size, etc. from the Control panel.

That establishes the DEFAULT Font Family, Style, Type Size, etc.

• 7. Re: How to set a default font?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

LarryM01 wrote:

You are missing the point.

Mark or select is not the point. anyone goes.

The point is that a font SELECTED in a document does not set it default.

You have MARK, SECLECT OR WHATEVER the font in Type > Font to make it default.

That was the point.

/Larry

I think you have a different interpretation of what it means to  "select" or "mark" a font. You cannot do either of those things in the  text itself by dragging the text tool -- that selects the text that has  been entered. The "selected" font in use will be shown in either the  Character or Control panel (as well as in the dropdown for fonts), and  it is in one of these palces that you select a font to use as the  default. It has nothing to do with selecting text, other than if you  want to change the font applied to a particular bit of text you have  selected.

Kind of an all-purpose, context-sensitive term.