Is there a way to "fool" InDesign using a script into thinking the unicode character U+200B is actually the character U+200A without actually replacing any characters? Meaning it would look like their was a U+200B character, but InDesign would interpret it as a real space (U+200A) rather than just a break.
I am new to InDesign, as well as to scripting - I am not much of a programmer, so any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I am working with a language that does not have spaces in between words, so normally we use a zero width space between words (U+200B) so we can use a spelling checker as well as have lines break at the end of words and not in the middle.
The problem is InDesign CS5.5 does not view U+200B as a space, but rather as a break. This makes the Hunspell dictionary for Khmer (that we made) unuseable unless we put real spaces between words. But this is against the grammar and tradition of the Khmer language, so we need a work around.
Currently we can replace all the zero-width spaces into hairline spaces and then do a grep style making all hairline spaces 1% of their width. But this is a bit of a hassle, so I wanted to see if there was a way with scripting to not have to edit the documents we import into InDesign (as well as not have to have a custom keyboard for InDesign). You can view the discussion for this work-around here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3937122