4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2011 4:53 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Export settings for MTS source material

tmross1024

Hello,

I'm working with .MTS files, 1920x1080. I know nothing about MTS. Im assuming they are raw because I copied them directly from the camera's SD card.

But under properties it says MPEG movie. So is MTS uncompressed?

What would be the best format/codec/whatever to export the finished sequence completely uncompressed?

Next, What would be the best quality export settings to export for internet?

Thanks

• 2. Re: Export settings for MTS source material
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Im assuming they are raw because I copied them directly from the camera's SD card.

But under properties it says MPEG movie. So is MTS uncompressed?

No, MTS is not uncompressed/raw. 'MTS' stands for 'MPEG transport stream'. It indicates that the data is encoded using an MPEG codec---in this case likely MPEG-4.

Your assumption that "they are raw because I copied them directly from the camera's SD card" misses a very important point about digital video: Nearly all cameras record to a compressed format. Very few record to an uncompressed/raw format. The ones that do record uncompressed/raw data are not cheap.

> What would be the best format/codec/whatever to export the finished sequence completely uncompressed?

Why would you want to do that? You only use uncompressed media as an intermediate in a post-production workflow---not not final delivery.

I recommend following the link that joe provided.

• 3. Re: Export settings for MTS source material
            tmross1024 Level 1

Ah thanks so much Joe and Todd.

I was wanting to have a lossless version of the video for backup to answer your question.

So given that it was encoded using MPEG, should I stick with an MPEG codec for exporting? Or will that just compress it more?

Otherwise I will use H.264 Vimeo HD preset.

• 4. Re: Export settings for MTS source material
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The codec used for the source material has almost no bearing on what codec to use for export.

Again, I recommend following the link that joe provided. This gist of the resource on the other end of that link is this: Your output settings depend on what you're going to do with the output movie. If you're putting the movie on Vimeo, use the Vimeo encoding preset.