3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 3:29 PM by Keith_Clark

how do i install these types of codecs?

Keith_Clark Level 2

so i have a few codecs that i want in Premiere/AME, but when downloaded from the writers, it comes like this:
      codec.jpg

what the heck do i do with this mess? why is there no unpacking .exe file? i have several codecs sitting on my drive that i've never utilized, because i have no idea what to do with these files. so anyone care to help me? how do i get these types of codec packs to appear in Premiere/AME?

• 1. Re: how do i install these types of codecs?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't believe PP can be made to use the x264 encoder.  Adobe licenses the MainConcept encoder for H.264 encoding.  If you want to use x264, you'll have to do it outside of PP.

• 2. Re: how do i install these types of codecs?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

That's the command-line version of x264; what you need is a Video for Windows (VfW) version. I've used the following builds in the past with Premiere Pro: ...::: Komisar x264 builds :::...

Note that you'll need the 64-bit version, like any other codec you want to use in Pr.

To use it, you have to select Microsoft AVI as your Format; the x264VfW codec will appear in the codec list. Of course, what this means is that you'll end up with an AVI with H.264-encoded video--probably not what you want. As such, you'll have to encode your audio separately (I'll typically use the AAC encoder built into Pr), then you'll have demux the AVI and remux the H.264 video with the AAC audio using an MP4 muxer. This is kind of a dark art in its own right, but there are muxer GUIs based on MP4box that will package these together.

• 3. Re: how do i install these types of codecs?
              Keith_Clark Level 2

Colin Brougham wrote:

That's the command-line version of x264; what you need is a Video for Windows (VfW) version. I've used the following builds in the past with Premiere Pro: ...::: Komisar x264 builds :::...

Note that you'll need the 64-bit version, like any other codec you want to use in Pr.

To use it, you have to select Microsoft AVI as your Format; the x264VfW codec will appear in the codec list. Of course, what this means is that you'll end up with an AVI with H.264-encoded video--probably not what you want. As such, you'll have to encode your audio separately (I'll typically use the AAC encoder built into Pr), then you'll have demux the AVI and remux the H.264 video with the AAC audio using an MP4 muxer. This is kind of a dark art in its own right, but there are muxer GUIs based on MP4box that will package these together.

interesting... i'll look into this... i'm wanting to test x264 to see if output looks any better than main, if it does i may switch. especially with digital deliveries of h.264, i'm just wondering how the 2 compare visually.