7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 10:47 AM by Steve Grisetti

Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.

kob35irish

I recently wrote you regarding a problem I was having with a slide show I was making on Premiere Elements 4 importing photo clips and music from PhotoShop Elements 9.  Thank you for your help.

This very large slide show, some 200 clips that I have not resized is completed.  I am now having many problems with the music audio I am adding to various sequences of the slide show.  Specifically:the audio will not stay fixed on the places where I put it and end it.  Working on the Timeline Usually the length of the audio is shorter than the ending of the photo clips where it must go.  I click on the audio and stretch it and end it at the place I designate.  However, the other end has moved also so now I am left with a gap where there is no audio at the beginning of the segment.  Now in addition, the "Delete and Close Gap" does not work most of the time causing me to manually move the photo tiles which sometimes move when this happens.  I have to move each one or two individually to the left to close the gap and many times this causes loss of one or two photo tiles or they are out of order or have increase in number (of the one I am moving).

The program has also shut down for the past 10 days causing me to lose a good deal of work and sometimes photo clips and sometimes I get many duplicates of the photo clips.  All I do is edit mostly the same two segments doing this over and over because I can't proceed to importing any more music because I can't get the first segments correct.  I have chatted with you people, Sony techs, Microsoft Techs and Canon Techs.  The Sony techs suggested the program was at fault and I used the original installation disk and repaired the program.  It has still shut down on me but not as much.

I got error messages on the photo-cap instructions page you suggessted otherwise I would show pictures of the above problems.

I tried to copy and/or cut and paste from the Timeline thinking I would start a new slide show in PhotoShop Elements 9 using the same photos in reverse.  The program would not let me copy or paste.  There is great difficulty in highlighting the photo tiles in Timeline because I have to shift click on each individual tile and there are too many tiles and it would take too long to get a whole segment copied.  Maybe you know another way to do this?

I am at a stand-still now and I am quite despondent because I have been working on this slide-show for 3 months and it was a surprise for my daughter's 25th anniversary that was last Tuesday.

I do hope you have some good suggestions that will lelt me complete this Project and get it on a disk.  I am not that technical so please be specific.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

• 1. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here's the basic advice I'd give, based on my experience. Much depends, though, on your goals and the specifics of your computer system:

1) Resize all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size. This is VITAL if you want the program to maintain stability as you work. Also render often (by pressing the Enter key). When the render, the red lines above the clips on your timeline will turn green and the program will run much more efficiently.

2) Work on your large slideshow project in shorter segments. You've got over 15 minutes worth of slides. Try working on this slideshow in 5 minute segments, output each segment and then combined the finished videos.

3) Use only WAV audio as your music and audio for your slideshow.

4) When you add video, audio or stills to a parallel track on your timeline, hold down the Ctrl key to override the ripple function and your current clips will remain in place.

5) Maintain your computer by using a tool like the excellent, free, one-click Advanced System Care available at http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

As for Delete and Close Gap, how it performs depends on whether you've selected Clear or Delete, whether you've pressed the Backspace key or the Delete key and if there is video or audio on a parallel track. (This is all covered in my books, by the way, if you're interested.)

Without knowing the specifics of your project and your situation, it's hard to give out more specific information -- but this advice should get you a long way toward completing your project!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.
            kob35irish Level 1

Thanks, Steve, for the great suggestions.  My previous request is about 2 weeks old and the title is: 

Questions:

1.  Can I resize each (of the more than 200) clips now tiles in PE4 or do I have to return to the Original photo and save it to another name?  I was hoping that I could copy and paste the current tiles and music clips in blocks into either a new program or into PhotoShop9 but I was having problems trying to copy or cut it as there was no option to do that.

So, in other words, you are telling me I have to start all over working in smaller segments after reisizing the photos and then piece them all together?  I thought I read somewhere on your forum that PhotoShop9 would automatically resize the photo clips.  Perhaps that would be creating a new slide show in that program.  I sure would be very unhappy if I had to seek out each photo filed wherever, and resize them that way.

How do I save the 5 minute segments, i.e. does each one have its own file name (and also the text file)?  How do I put them all together after each one has been resized and saved and on which program?  PE4 or PSE9?

Thanks again.  I am feeling less desperate and pressured.

Kathy

• 3. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.

If you save your resized photos with the same name in the same location on your computer's hard drive, the program will automatically swap them in the next time you open your project.

To resize a batch of photos at a time, you can use the Process Multiple Files tool in Photoshop Elements (under the File menu).

To work on your project in small pieces, just work on your project about 40-50 slides at a time and then output each segment using Share/Computer/AVI using the DV preset.

These DV-AVI segments can then be combined for a final mix in a new project set up for DV.

• 4. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.
                kob35irish Level 1

A Question re these two sentences below:

To work on your project in small pieces, just work on your project about 40-50 slides at a time and then output each segment using Share/Computer/AVI using the DV preset.

These DV-AVI segments can then be combined for a final mix in a new project set up for DV.

"output each segment" means going into the Share Computer... in order to put them on a disk?  I do not understand what the DV preset is?  DV means digital video and does this mean it will eventually become digital video because now it is only slides.  Sorry I am  so not technical.

I will be combining all of the segments (which as I understand it will be saved with separate names?  I will have to start a new project and somehow import these segments I have saved in a ? folder in separate names.  Or does the importing of these rendered/resized/resaved segments work the same as importing music and photos on the Organizer?  Sorry but I just need it spelled out.  Perhaps it would be easier to resize it and use the slide show in PhotoShop Elements 9???  What about doing parts 1 and 2 and not resizing it?

Thanks for your patience.

Kathy

• 5. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.

Go to Share/Computer/AVI and you will see that this option includes a couple of Presets for your AVI output. You want to NTSC DV preset.

This will output your slideshow to your hard drive as a finished video. When you've output all of your slideshow segments as AVIs, you will open a new project and bring these AVIs into one project for a final mixdown and output to disc.

For information on opening a project with the DV preset, see part 1 of my free 8-part Basic Training series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 6. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.
                    kob35irish Level 1

Thanks so much, Steve, for your clear explanations for this "newbe" and also the link to your basic PE instructions.

I have one concern with this new way and that is the resolution of the final product.  A good deal of the photos were very bad to begin with and even though I reworked them as best I could in PhotoShop when I resize them and use this method

which incorporates "wmv", won't the final product be of poorer quality than if I did not resize them and split the current Project into Parts 1 and Parts 2?  I have several photos that the pixels are very small, smaller than the 1000 x 750 you suggest.  Can I leave them as they are because enlarging them would make them very unclear.

It is my understanding that some of the music I am using can't be converted into WMV.  (Most are downloaded from ITunes.)  Will that cause too many problems?

Thanks again for all of your help.

• 7. Re: Newbe requests help with audio for slide-show on Premiere Elements 4.

I'm not sure what you are asking. However, for best results you should NOT use any slideshow method that involves converting your slides to WMVs. That will give you reduced quality work.

As you suspect, you can't do a lot with improving very low resolution photos. However, video is essentially the equivalent of a 640x480 pixel image -- so it doesn't take much to produce a decent looking slideshow.