0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 6:24 AM by jason sturges

Flash Pro drop target instance during authoring on the artboard

jason sturges Level 1

Developing custom components within Flash Professional CS5.5, I am attempting to implement functionality similar to the way a UIScrollBar can be dropped on a TextArea to bind functionally.

• Place a TextArea on the artboard.
      • Drop a UIScrollBar on to the TextArea.

The UIScrollBar will auto-position itself against the TextArea, and if instance names are not defined, the TextArea will receive a name such as ‘InstanceName_0’ and the UIScrollBar’s scrollTargetName will set to match.

For those familiar with Flashblocks Flash CMS, this functionality is replicated using their Editblock component. The Editblock can be dropped on a component, automatically position itself, and bind instance names.

Following threads and examples, I see mostly historical implementations citing _targetInstanceName and scrollTarget.

Functionally, I understand that this is specifying an instance name which is located from the parent to a DisplayObject.

/** target instance display object. */
      protected var scrollTarget:DisplayObject;

/** target instance name, used by authoring to locate display object. */
      private var _scrollTargetName:String;

[Inspectable()]
      public function set scrollTargetName(value:String):void
      {

// with try / catch exception handling, but for example:
          scrollTarget
      = parent.getChildByName(value);
      }

This setter does not fire during authoring.

I’m unsure if I’m missing a specific property name, meta data in the Inspectable tag, an Event, or maybe I am required to extend (Flash Pro’s fl.core) UIComponent?

Are there more current examples / tutorials that anyone could cite?

Please understand that I am not talking about drag-and-drop during runtime. I am speaking about authoring using Flash Professional, dropping components on to each other from Flash Pro’s artboard.

Thanks!