7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 7:40 AM by Butch2oc

Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode

Butch2oc Level 1

I have the latest mac OS lion, a GTX285, separate raid array, CS5.5.1. and blackmagic multibridge pro2.

All works well... in fact I am finally very happy with my systems stabillity, it's just that it

works alot better with the MPE in software mode.

Seems to be consistent with all forms of media.

Anyone?

• 1. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Can you define "better?" All things being equal, it really wouldn't seem possible that performance without any sort of acceleration would be better than performance with acceleration. As such, that would seem to indicate that acceleration was not working.

I'm using a PC, but there are times when I simply can't get any sort of useful playback with hardware MPE. When I turn it on, it's like I've kicked in the afterburners--it's pretty striking what a difference it can make. That's why I'd be suspicious of you having all the kinks worked out yet.

• 2. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
            Butch2oc Level 1

Hi Colin,

On paper I agree with you 100%... but a bit confused with your quote

"but there are times when I simply can't get any sort of useful playback with hardware MPE"

If I have 2 layers of HD footage on a SD timeline and apply 2 or 3 plugins which use CUDA (eg use sapphire alot)

I quite often have to turn hardware off to get it to play through. That's right... it plays through with hardware off, go figure.

I have read a post where another user does the same thing with a similar system to mine. ( I'll try and hunt him down)

Anyway you could well be right about my hardware acceleration not working properly.

My next question based on a lack of knowledge with cuda cards.

How do you know if its not working properly? by this I mean shouldn't I lose my monitors aswell? or can just the CUDA side of the card malfunction?

Thanks for your time Colin.

• 3. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Whoops, sorry---not enough coffee yet. That should have said "without hardware MPE" or "with software MPE." D'oh. What I meant was that there is most definitely a boost to performance when using hardware MPE, at least so far as my system and particular workflows are concerned.

I try to use Adobe-provided, GPU-accelerated effects whenever possible. You mention Sapphire--that may be CUDA accelerated, but that doesn't mean that it works within the GPU/CUDA acceleration that Adobe provides for in the Mercury Playback Engine. Come to think of it--maybe that's the problem. Perhaps the Sapphire plugs are competing with the internal acceleration from hardware MPE--when you disable hardware MPE, perhaps that is freeing up the GPU to process the Sapphire plugs, and then Premiere Pro is doing the rest. That seems far-fetched, I suppose, but its conceivable if there is a bug in either Premiere Pro or Sapphire in this regard. I can't test or confirm myself, as I don't own Sapphire, but it would be well worth trying to get to the bottom of that particular issue.

Ultimately, if you use non-accelerated plugins in Premiere Pro--even those provided by Adobe--you essentially disable some of the rendering benefits of using a CUDA GPU. I say "some" because I'm not sure whether using a non-accelerated plugin/effect overrides hardware MPE completely or not--I want to believe that things like scaling would still be GPU accelerated.

Since you're able to turn on and off GPU acceleration, that would indicate that--at the very least--Premiere Pro is seeing and utilizing the CUDA card. There have been some quirks with getting hardware MPE up and running with Lion--several threads of late have centered around issues with this particular facet. Are your drivers for the GPU all up to date?

by this I mean shouldn't I lose my monitors aswell? or can just the CUDA side of the card malfunction?

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Lose what monitors? Your externals?

• 4. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
                Butch2oc Level 1

Sounds like you could be on the money, I'll do some testing and yes all drivers up to date.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Lose what monitors? Your externals?

Might seem a bit of a dumb question (based on a lack of knowledge with cuda cards) but I was just wondering about card failure in relation to CUDA and my monitors that the card drives.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, I see. I'm not positive, but my guess would be that it's all or nothing--if a part of the card fizzles out, the whole thing is shot. Since CUDA is actually sort of a programming language, there really isn't a "part" to get fried; it's telling the actual GPU (the processor itself) what to do.

There is an Adobe engineer who is the wizard that made all this happen, who ocasionally posts on the forum in threads like these. It's always been an interesting peek behind the curtain, so maybe he'll see this thread (your subject line should get somebody's attention ) and offer some thoughts.

• 6. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Colin's thoughts are possibly correct about the Sapphire plug-in. To find out whether that could be the cause, try temporarily removing the Sapphire effects/transitions from your time-line and then turning on hardware MPE. Export and measure the time it takes. This will be shown in the AMEEncodingLog. Do the same with software MPE only. Then turn on your Sapphire effects/transitions again. Again export once with hardware MPE on and once with software MPE only.

Please post the four reported times here and we can go from there.

• 7. Re: Why do I get better performance with MPE in software mode
                      Butch2oc Level 1

Will do... just trying to finish a job that needs to be finished yesterday... you know what I mean.

Will post onto this thread when all is tested.

Thanks again for your time, appreciate it.