3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 4:55 AM by Jonas_P

TOC Problem, small dots and page number due to Superscript/subscript

Jonas_P Level 1

I have some titles in my book that end with a superscript or subscript character. When I create the TOC, the dots (tab) and the page number for these titles are written in Superscription/Subscription.

I have tried to create a specific character syle for the superscript/subscript character, but these are inherited into the TOC.

I have also tried to break the link to the style, for the specific character, the problem though is that the whole title lost its reference to the style and is not printed in the TOC.

• 1. Re: TOC Problem, small dots and page number due to Superscript/subscript
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Had a similar thread the other day...

The way it works, if there is a local formatting override, or a character style applied OUTSIDE the paragraph style, that gets carried forward into the TOC. If the character style is applied as a nested style, it does not unless you use the same style or create another style with the same nesting parameters for the TOC lisiting.

This leaves a couple of ways you might consider dealing with your problem. First would be to apply the sub/superscript as a nested style and make sure that it ets turned off after the characters to which it should be applied. Next would be to select the tab itself inthe TOC and remove the style that sets the attribute. Third might be to create a character style to apply to the tab and number in the TOC dialog that explicitly turns off the subscript/superscript.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: TOC Problem, small dots and page number due to Superscript/subscript
            Jonas_P Level 1

OK. We are building several books per day and use the same TOC template, we want to minimize any unnecessary manual corrections that are possible. That's why we have to reject your last two tips.

I just looked up nested style, have neverer used it before, and will give it a try.

• 3. Re: TOC Problem, small dots and page number due to Superscript/subscript
              Jonas_P Level 1

We solved this problem by configureing the paragraph style that we used for the tab (dots) and the number in the TOC to only have Normal Position. In this way we didn't have to configure each title that has Superscription.