9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 10:39 AM by Steve Grisetti

Buring HD content to a DVD

koenwuyts

Hi,

Is there any way of burning HD content to a DVD? I've have bought a camcorder which records AVCHD at 1080i50. And I would like to burn this to a disc. But I don't have a blu-ray burner.

Thanks,

Koen

• 1. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Without a BluRay burner, you can not burn a hi-def video to a DVD. (And, of course, even if you could, you wouldn't be able to watch it unless you had a BluRay player and an HDTV.) Sorry.

• 2. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes... but maybe not with PreElements

BluRay image on a DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871854?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD
              VDOSurfer Level 3

That seems to be a feature advertised by Adobe in their latest version, Premiere Elements 10.

• 4. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD

No, you can not burn hi-def video to a DVD with Premiere Elements 10.

You can do it with other programs though, as John indicated above. (DVD Architect Studio 5, for instance.) However, just to be clear, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY HI-DEF VIDEO ON A DVD PLAYER. Even if you burn HD to a DVD, you will only be able to play it on a BluRay player that is capable of playing a BluRay DVD and an HDTV.

• 5. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD
                  koenwuyts Level 1

I should have a look at my Blu-ray player, I do have one and it support a lot of files type. So maybe I can just output my movies is mpeg format, or something that support HD content and play it directly.

I've only just bought a HD cam, this is actually my first cam ever. So I'm new to the whole video editing.

rgds,

Koen

• 6. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD

You may want to check out my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

Having a basic understanding of the program can save you a lot of heartache later! And knowing how to properly set up your project to match your video specs (as I discuss in part 1) is vital to a successful editing experience.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

You can burn AVCHD to DVD disk through Premiere Elements 10, but you can watch it only through a Blu Ray player.

• 8. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I am having a difficult time reconciling what you have written in this thread so best I ask you about this.

a. HD could be referring to AVCHD, Blu-ray, HDV and do we know what version of Premiere Elements is being used by the person who posed the question. True, before Premiere Elements 10, your burn to choices were limited on the HD side to Blu-ray format on a Blu-ray disc (requiring a Blu-ray writer) and to non HD side to DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc.

b. Beginning with Premiere Elements 10 you can burn your Premiere Elements Timeline to AVCHD format on a DVD disc. You do not need a Blu-ray burner for that. Been there and done that. In this same context, in your "What's new in Premiere Elements 10?" you wrote about "AVCHD output":

"Finally, version 10 includes the option output your video in true AVCHD format. This format can be used output your video to disc (DVD or BluRay) or a standalone AVC (Main Concept H.264) file."

To the contrary, I have found that this new AVCHD feature is a burn to DVD disc ONLY, not DVD disc or BluRay disc. If you try to use a BluRay disc (example, Verbatim BD-R 25 GB 6X or Verbatim BD-RE 25 GB 2X) in the Share/Disc/AVCHD with "disc" choice, you get an Incompatible Disc message. The only discs that I have found to work for this new AVCHD feature in Share/Disc/AVCHD "disc" are various brands of DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RW.

Playback of these discs is another matter for another time. And, the details of using the new AVCHD burn to folder I found a little tricky, especially when ImgBurn insisted in one of its how tos that a BDMV Folder and Certificate Folder and blank DVD were required to make it work AND the Premiere Elements burn to AVCHD Folder (4.7 GB) gives only a BDMV Folder and no Certificate Folder. I finally was able to burn the AVCHD Folder content to DVD disc with ImgBurn. The key ingredients were:

Write files/folders to disc

Tools

Settings

Build

and then unchecking "Create Audio_TS Folder" and checking "Create Certificate Folder".

Also,

Options

Data Type MODEL/2048

File System UDF

UDF Revision 2.50

Again, in Premiere Elements 10, you do not need a Blu-ray burner for burning your Timeline to AVCHD format on disc. It appears to be ONLY a burn to DVD disc which does not require a Blu-ray burner to generate it.

ATR

• 9. Re: Buring HD content to a DVD

Good points, Tony.

However, we do want to stress that you can not play AVCHD or hi-def video on a standard DVD player -- even if you burn it to a DVD.

Hi-def content can only be played on a BluRay player attached to an HDTV.