16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 9:48 PM by JEShort01

New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)

Jodysinoz

Firstly let me say hi and thanks in advance to all that read and assist with my questions

A Bit about me..

I have recently acquired the need for video editing at a much higher level with both having a family now (baby daughter) and a very active hobby (rc heli flying at a sponsored level).  With this in mind I bought a HD video camera some time back without the realisation that, to effectively edit such footage requires horsepower!!.... so i have saved up for a new computer and ended up here after much reading on various forums (toms hardware, video guys etc etc).

Where I am up too....

I have started by firstly implementing a NAS into my Home network which is primarily used to store and stream media (Gigabit LAN) around the home. It is setup in RAID 5 with 5 x 2TB disks (so about 7TB of storage).  I have done this so there is some backup of photos, movies, home video etc (if I lose a disk , hopefully i will not lose the lot).  I have also acquired adobe Premiere Pro CS 5 and now need a workstation that will allow me to edit in confort ( the one I have will not even run it!! .

My aim is to store original files and completed work on the NAS (or burn to Bluray etc).

I am looking at a PC solution, as I can obviously get more horsepower for less $$ than a laptop solution. 

I have built PC's in the past but not with high frequency and this will be the biggest budget one I will have attempted. I have been researching alot over the last few weeks about sytems and components and found this forum to be very good in dealing with hardware specs and requiremnts in a very proffesional way.

I am now at the point where I getting a little muddled with which way to go and still have a lot of research to complete.  My approach is to tackle each of the components needed one at a time in a fairly hierarchial manner.

What the PC will be used for..

This PC will be used primarily for the video editing and some gaming (when I have time).  AlLso any other horsepower intensive apps if needed (I have a laptop and other comps for general duties).

Budget

My budget is fairly rigid at $2500 AUD (so I am not looking at a Zeon solution LOL). The budget is to include:

Case                              ?

CPU                            Intel I7 2600K (based on my research this seems to be the best way to go with my budget and needs)

CPU Cooler                  Standard Intel supplied Cooler (seems to perform reasonably well even when moderately overclocking (~4.0 - 5.0 khz) 

MOBO                           ?

RAM                              ?

Graphics Card                 ?

BLURAY Writer               ?

PSU                               ?

HDD Storage               1 SSD and 3 HDD's with 2 in Raid "0"

OS                              Windows 7 64 Bit

23 inch Screen               ?

Questions

Motherboard

I guess my issues with MOBO slection revolve firstly around which chipset to go with Z68 (newer) or the P67?  It seems the Z68 is feature rich, however I also seem to feel that the Quick sync and SRT would be better disabled with what I am setting the machine up for? So therefore what advantage is there with going with Z68 if any? or am I better off getting a more established P67 chipset based board?

I also see that some boards have the Nvidia NF200 for expanding bandwidth on the restrictive 16 PCIe lanes available on the 1155 socket boards given I am only looking at one decent Graphics card is this a chip I should avoid (as I have read this can cause latency with only one graphics card)?

Another thing I have noticed is some boards have a PLX PEX8608 chip which seems to manage the limited PCIe lanes better if other cards are plugged in?

I also see some boards have the Marvell Sata 3 controller on them that does not seem to perform as well as the native Intel Sata 3 controller on the Southbridge in tests.  I guess I have no real idea of when I would be looking at stretching the bandwidth and wonder whether I need to concern myself with 4 x sata 3 connections (2 intel and 2 Marvell)?

One last question I see there is now MOBO's available with PCIe 3.0 available (even though there are no devices that can utilize it) is this even worth being a consideration or is it not really of any importance to the slection process?

In summary it appears there is lots of goodies on offer with different chipsets and boards, however I do not want to waste budget on things I have no use for or gimmicks.

CPU Cooler

It is my intent to start with the factory supplied Intel bundled cooler and invest the money not spent on this item on better graphics card etc. For moderate Overclocking it seems to perform ok.... am hoping this will be ok?

HDD Storage

At this stage I am not up to speed with the exact storage devices I need, I am initially looking at whether my ideas for a storage system have merit? Please bear in mind I am not a CSpro user as of yet and so some of this is just based on research with no base knowledge....?

1 x ~120Gb SSD                                    for OS and Programs

1 x ??Gb/TB HDD 7200 rpm                    for Media Projects

2 x ?? Gb/TB HDD 7200 rpm in raid "0"    for Media Cache and Preview Files

Will the onboard Raid controller accommadate the above adequately?

Graphics Card

I am looking at Nvidia as far as I can tell so that I may make use of the CUDA threads and as far as type I assume I pick the best one of the approved list (adobe approved list)?  I am still confused ast to whether there is any benefit from a using a twin GPU card, its unclear to me whether the CUDA can tap into both of the GPU's on such a card? Of course budget restraint will come into play here.

Ram

I am looking at 4 x 4gb dual channel Ram cards to give a total of 16Gb total (DDR 3)  as for brands, types and frequencies I have no idea yet and need to cover off some of the above first before my research gets too wide?

PSU and Case

I am hoping for a modular device for this, however I was thinking this and the case are a low priority at this stage (until some of the other solutions are verified).

Blur Ray writer /reader

With me using my NAS for media streaming I will not be burngin to many Blu ray disks, however I will be reading a few so that I can upload them onto the NAS via this unit.  I have no idea what is a good or bad unit or what to look for in this area?

Monitor

I have found some cheap solutions in the 23" sizing for a main screen (~160 AUD) supported by my existing 17' monitor, however is there anything I should be looking for in particular with the monitor I choose?

I will update each section with what is decided on so that it may help others who are having the same tough decisions to make?

Even if we just tackle the Motherboard first I would be greatfull...

Thanks for reading and again all assistance is appreciated.

Regards

Jody

• 1. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You should use Win7 64 Pro, not Home or Ultimate.

As soon as the word overclocking is mentioned, you should consider a good third party CPU cooler from CoolerMaster, Noctua or Prolimatech, to name a few popular brands.

What components work nicely together? Have a look at: Benchmark Results

On-board raid capabilities are OK for striping but no good for parity raids.

What is the sense in getting a Z68 with integrated graphics, when you need to disable that in BIOS if you want to use a CUDA capable card?

There may be articles of interest to you under the Overview tab/FAQ at the top of the page for further reading.

• 2. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
            Jodysinoz Level 1

Thanks for the Reply Harm.

In repsonse i guess I wanted to state a few things that may not have been clear in my original post.

Harm Millaard wrote:

What is the sense in getting a Z68 with integrated graphics, when you need to disable that in BIOS if you want to use a CUDA capable card?

That was my question, essentially is there anything I am missing for this type of use with a P67 chipset based board?

Thanks for the heads up on the Cooling, Raid 0 and other resources.

I will continue to trawl the overview tab/FAQ as mentioned.

• 3. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
              Jodysinoz Level 1

Ok I do not want to seem impatient, however I put a lot of questions together in the first post.

Thanks to Harm for answering some of them very quickly :-)

Am I better to spread these questions out over a range of posts to get a better response? 

• 4. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can give you a couple of quick comments. Harm and I are partners in the PPBM5 benchmarks.  While we generally agree in most areas sometimes we have a few minor differences of opinion.  Look at today's PPBM5 rankings and sort on the "Model CPU" tab for the i7-26xx CPU's.  Then on the "Version" tab check the CS5.5 item.  You will see I have a new Sandy Bridge system in first place in this category.  It happens to be a z68 motherboard.

Here are some of my preliminary findings on configuration plus and minus conclusions  I will be fully documenting my results as I continue to gather test results. 

1. 1.I have found that with CS5.5 that the GTX 580 is the best graphics board (six seconds faster on the MPEG2-DVD score than my GTX480), and I have tested it with several different GPU's.  And no, you do not have to limit your selection to the Adobe certified list.
                2. For my cooler I have gone with the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with a second fan all for less than $40.  They now have an even more improved version it is an 212 EVO.  Even at 4.6GHz my peak (PPBM5) temperature is 63 degrees C.
                3. I have a three disk RAID 0 with motherboard controller for everything except OS and applications which is an old WD 150 GB VelociRaptor.  These disks drives came from my junk box so they are not the newer SATA III with higher cache memory which probably would be perfectly adequate with only a pair of drives.  I originally planned an all SSD solution, but after several experiments with one of the latest 500 MB/s SSD's and several reconfigurations of the boot drive I just gave up because with usage performance falls off (after running PPBM5 about 15 times I all of a sudden had a 20 second change in the DiskI/O) and since the only way to really know what the performance is to run a benchmark fairly regularly which is not recommended.  Of course you can reset the SSD to original condition with a secure erase of the whole drive but who in their right mind wants to do that periodically.
                4. Memory speed does also improve benchmark performance, but it can also be a problem.  I started with with junkbox memory at DDR3-1333, when I temporaily stole 16 GB of my DDR3-2000 memory from my x58 plstform and set it to DDR3-1866 speed it so improved the CPU performance so that I ordered a set of DDR3-2133 memory.  The first set I got would not run at that clock rate even at stock speed (3.4 GHz) let alone at overclocked speed.  The second set I got does run at DDR3-2133 clock speed, but when pushing the clock rate it has to be set at DDR3-1866.  But I am happy with that (and my first place results in this category) and got a full refund on the first set.
                • 5. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

Am I better to spread these questions out over a range of posts to get a better response? 

Possibly.  I looked at the size of your original post, grunted, and moved on.

• 6. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                    Jodysinoz Level 1

Thanks do much for the informative responses it is appreciated.

Still very murky at this end in some areas, however I will post more direct questions going forward until I have this nutted out :-)

I will also populate a new post with my setup when I have it in place ready for critisiscm LOL :-)

• 7. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                      Jodysinoz Level 1

Ok well after much reading I have got the following as the setup that shoe horns in at $2500 ish...

Interested in thoughts for Premiere pro:

Component Model $ each Stat Ice Store

CaseUNKNOWN AT THIS STAGE BUDGET $200 ?
                      Power Supply

FSP Aurum Series 750W Modular Power Supply $139.00 PCCASEGEAR

Motherboard

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe REV 3 $212.00 I-Store

Processor

Intel I7 2600k Gen 2 $324.00 All needs Computer

CPU Cooling

Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler $89.00 PCCASEGEAR

Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (2x4GB) DDR3 $79.00 $158.00 PCCASEGEAR

OS/Programs Drive

Patriot 120G Wildfire SSD SATA3  $289.00 Umart

Capture/work Drive

2 x  Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ setup in Raid "0" $54.00 $108.00 Green Box IT

Render to Drive

2 x  Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ setup in Raid "0" $54.00 $108.00 Green Box IT

Dual/Quad Head Video

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock $589.00 PCCASEGEAR

DVD-RW

LG BH12LS38 Optical Media (OEM) $68.71 Mega Buy

Operating System

Windows 7 64 Bit Pro $129.00 Umart

Monitor

Samsung S23A300B 23in Widescreen LED Monitor $149.00 Netplus  $2,362.71

Total

This will be supported by a 10tb 5 disc NAS on Gigabit connection for long term secure storage.

• 8. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Jody,

This is really coming along...

Comments:

Get a better brand of power supply and possibly more watts capacity. P/S robustness and quality is important for CS5, which taxes your whole system simultaneously. Your vendor seems to carry Corsair AX series and they are great. I use the $$$ AX-1200 model, which is way oversized, but that allows my system to stay extremely quiet all of the time even when working hard. Either the AX 850 (definitely enough), or the AX 750 (probably OK), would be fine for your build.

Case: Suggest CoolerMaster HAF 932; HAF-X model could be a "wish list" option here; the CoolerMaster large / slow fans do a great job. Cases can be personal though, and there are many good options for a CS5 build with different looks, cooling style, etc.

Optical drive: Don't know why you selected a combo drive (can play Blu-rays, but only burn DVDs and CDs); unless you are using this as a Media Center PC too, you should probably save $ and go with a DVD burner or pay more and get a true Blu-ray burner

Monitors: I'm not familiar with the very cost effictive Samsung on your list, but at that price you should definitely go with two monitors

Boot Drive: At your price point, you would be best served by dumping the SSD and going with a 7200 RPM single drive and putting the $$$ elsewhere; I love SSD boot drives, but this is an Adobe forum and they really don't work very well for CS5, and other changes I'm suggesting are more important

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                          Jodysinoz Level 1

JEShort01 thanks so much for your thoughtfull response. I have digested your comments and made the following adjustments :-)

PSU>>>>>I managed to get a decent deal on a Antec High Current Pro series 850W 80 Plus gold certified PSU based on your explanation on the importance of power, hopefully this will be good enough..

CASE>>>> I bought a case from what was available at the computer fair (save on freight costs).  I looked at what was available in the full tower and settled on a Black Corsair 600T based on the quality of it when i looked inside.  Also a little less offensive to look at than some I saw....

OPTICAL DRIVE>>>> For some reason the link I picked was fo the combo drive..anyhow I meant the 12x Bluray burner version which was what I ended up picking up.

MONITOR>>>>>I have held off the LCD display at this stage, I will build her first then look at an appropriate solution.

BOOT DRIVE>>>>>  I have been naughty and not followed your advice and settled on a Corsair 120GB GT SSD (saved some $$ on the Patriot) the main reason for this was I will use this machine for other activities than solely CS and really would appreciate fast on and off with the machine.  If I run into trouble I will grant you the I told you so and I will hang my head in shame around here......

I have all components inbound and will start the buildin a few days.  Then I can start to learn how to edit (more research LOL)

• 10. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Excellent Jody!

I really like the more subdued look and features of the Corsair 600T, so much that I took one home! I ended up returning it because the fan "bolt spacing" was non-mainstream and I wanted to change out the standard fans, but if the stock fans are to your liking I think you will be very happy with it.

Regarding the SSD, I don't use my editing PC just for Adobe, so I can fully embrace that decision too.

One last thought, if you don't have a good imaging program you may want to get one to copy your boot drive image to one of your RAID sets BEFORE you start you build. I use ShadowProtect, but there other good ones out there as well. This will allow you to quickly restore you OS/programs drive in case you do something that Windows does not allow you to simply back up from, and also protects you from lots of hours of work in case you have any drive issues, including incompatibilities with certain controllers, drivers, etc. I have not had so much as a hiccup with the 8 SSDs I have used (all Intel and Crucial), but there are some horror stories out there for sure. Imaging is actually quite fast; my 85GB OS/programs array images to my RAID array in just 7 minutes so I feel the gain way outweighs the pain.

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                              Jodysinoz Level 1

Thanks Jim,

Great advice on the imaging of the OS when I have it installed I will certianly do this at that point (I will learn how anyhow LOL)

IMG_0851-1.jpg

Coming together nicely... Biggest build I have ever done LOL

and with the video card :-)

IMG_0853.jpg

• 12. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I use for drive imaging... http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                                Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the

drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive

in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 13. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                                  vincit2000

I'm in the process of upgrading my editing rig. I'm still looking a video cards. This is what I have so far.

Intel i7-2600K overclocked to 4.5 GHz (H50 water cooler on CPU) on an ASRock P67 Extreme 4 mobo with win7 pro installed on a Kingston HyperX 120GB Sata 3 SSD. Four Sata 2 HDDs All in a very cool NZXT Phantom case.

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9Sk1Kz7DQ

Best wishes for the build!

• 14. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                                    JEShort01 Level 4

Good job on the cabling Jody!

Minor comment for the drives; I would suggest using the 2nd drive bay holder behind the big front fan and space the drive out more. Slow, quiet air will cool the 7200 drives better with more space between the drives. If you leave it like you show in your photos, the path of least resistance for the air flow will largely pass by your drives (it will move through the big empty space) and your drives will run hotter for sure.

Regards,

Jim

• 15. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                                      Jodysinoz Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I will monitor temps when I get it working hard (have infra red sensor gun :-)) then consider adjusting cooling options to suit!

SO far I have Windows installed with all drivers and SSD tweaks completed and then created an Image of the OS (currently sitting on the NAS until I burn it).

I have installed CS Pro 5.5 and After effects 5.5 onto the SSD also.

I have installed all hardware utilities and mapped my network drives etc.

I have also setup a Pagefile on (D) (one of the raid array drives) currently 10000-100000bytes and disabled it on the SSD.

I will now attempt a moderate OC to 4.5Ghz on the CPU, with GPU factory OC to 855mhz and ram at 1600Mhz and 8,9,8,24 (factory timings).

Is there anything I am missing before I plunge into trying to haggle with CS pro for the first time?

PS I have opened her up and had a quick browse just to verify installation.... :-)

Thanks again for all the help afforded a newbie to this powerful software and its requirments...

Jody

• 16. Re: New to HD Editing and CS, building a PC to suit requirements of HD edit. Experienced help wanted :-)
                                        JEShort01 Level 4

Jody,

I would check out CS Pro before doing any OC'ing at all. Also, I would not consider 4.5 GHz a "moderate" OC! I like running the PPBM5 benchmark along the way too to see how performance is progressing (on not).

Also, I would suggest using software utilities to monitor CPU and other temperatures, not a IR thermometer.

Regards,

Jim