2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 10:27 AM by the_wine_snob

stop motion animation help using images from a digital camera...how tricky is this?

thorte@yahoo.ca

I'm teaching a media arts course for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out how to use images taken with a digital camera, import them to Premiere Elements 7, and put them in the timeline without having to shorten the length of them.  As soon as I drag an image from the project bin onto the timeline, it automatically plays for 5 seconds, and I have to try to shorten it to one frame length.  If that's what it takes, this process is going to take a lot of time, because the students are going to be taking several hundred photos.  If I edit them in the preview, it's still just as difficult.  Is there any way to change the settings before I import the images so that they automatically are one or two frames in length on my timeline?  Your help would be GREATLY appreciated. 

• 1. Re: stop motion animation help using images from a digital camera...how tricky is this?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Before you bring your photos into your Premiere Elements project, go to Edit/Preferences/General and set the Still Image Duration to 1 frame. Then, any photos you add to the program will default to 1 frame in length when you add them to your timeline.

Also note that you'll get best results and the most efficient performance if you resize your photos to 640x480 pixels (72 ppi) before you import them into your project. Using larger photos only slows down and often chokes the program -- without improving the slide's video quality.

Much more information on using the program most effectively can be found in my books and in my tutorials on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com, if you're interested.

• 2. Re: stop motion animation help using images from a digital camera...how tricky is this?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, setting the Edit>Preferences>Still Duration BEFORE Importing, will get what you want.

When doing Stop-Motion, I find that a Duration = 3 to 5 Frames, works best, but that will depend on the images, how far apart, they were shot, and the exact effect that I want. It might take a little experimenting, to get things correct to both your eye, and to the images from the camera.

Also, Scaling the Still Images, prior to Import is a very, very good idea, and especially so, with Stop-Motion, as you will have lots of them.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you are using Transitions, between the Still Images, you will want to alter the Duration of those too, prior to applying them.