4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 8:11 AM by Dave LaRonde

Drops frames in rendered movie

jamerson11v

Hi, I have a "wall" of videos 8 across by 4 down, and I'm moving the camera in and out of them. However whenever I've moved out to show all clips the clips only seem to play a frame every 0.5 seconds or so, so is very jerky movement. This frame dropping is only on the clips when zoomed out though, the camera move around the clips remains smooth and when zoomed into a clip (so it is only showing one video) the clip plays properly. What's going on, help!

As I say this is in the fully rendered output as well as the ram preview!

thanks

• 1. Re: Drops frames in rendered movie
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What's codec did you use to render? What are your machine specs? What's the size of the composition? There's not enough information go hazard more of a guess than the typical, most common reason that folks report dropped frames. You've rendered to a lossless or nearly lossless codec that your system is incapable of playing back. I can't guess what codec will playback smoothly because I don't know what kind of a machine you are using.

If you step through the composition a frame at a time and the videos in the video wall advance a frame by frame then your render has all the frames, you just are not rendering to a codec designed tor playback. If the videos in the video wall are not advancing properly when you step through each frame in the timeline then you've got a footage interpolation and frame rate problem between comps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Drops frames in rendered movie
            jamerson11v Level 1

Many thanks for the quick reply Rick. I didn't include the codec, specs etc as the videos aren't advancing correctly when stepping through the composition, but as I say, only when more than one clip is visible at a time, when just one clip is being shown then it plays back just fine. The output clip is playing ok, so my machine can handle that, its just the way the clips are being rendered that seems to be getting messed up.

So from what you've said, it sounds like I have some problems with the footage, however all are running at the same framerate and all have been recorded on the same device, so the footage other than content and length are identical.

• 3. Re: Drops frames in rendered movie
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So if you use the page down key to advance one frame where there are multiple videos in the comp visible the videos are not advancing a frame even if you wait for the entire comp to render? (boy was that worded badly) I've never seen this. unless you're using open GL for preview. Try using adaptive resolution.

A little more about your machine would help. A screenshot of the comp would also help.

• 4. Re: Drops frames in rendered movie
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

jamerson11v wrote:

I didn't include the codec, specs etc as the videos aren't advancing correctly when stepping through the composition...

its just the way the clips are being rendered that seems to be getting messed up...

it sounds like I have some problems with the footage, however all are running at the same framerate and all have been recorded on the same device...

As Rick says, more information would be great. 

Based on what you write above, I could make a wild guess about your system, but it might not be right.  Here goes:

You most likely shot video on a DSLR, XDCam, a tiny helmet-cam, or a camera that records in AVCHD or HDV.  In addition, you DO NOT run  AE 10 or 10.5.  You have 4 gigs of memory on your computer.  You're using Open GL to make rendering faster.

Is any of this correct?