5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 5:32 PM by Ned Murphy

MovieClip Count and Continue Feed

HappyHour-SC Level 1

I have an application that contains a group of images (movieSymbols) on stage. (like chairs)  I can drag these chairs all over the page.

However:

1) Can I have ONLY one chair on stage and drag the same chair in multiple locations so that now I will have 10 chairs on stage?

2) If the above is possible, is there a way to set a counter that will show 10 chairs are on stage?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: MovieClip Count and Continue Feed
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1.  No, you cannot ONLY have 1 chair and drag that same chair in 10 different places and have 10 of them when you're done - the math doesn't work out... 1 cannot equal 10.  But you can drag a copy of the chair instead and end up with 10 instances on the stage at some point.  When you click down on the chair you can have a copy of it created exactly where the 1 chair is and then assign drag code to the copy.

2. Yes, you just create a variable that you use to keep count.  The variable starts at a value of 1 for the 1 chair you start with, and each time you create a new copy you add 1 to that variable.

• 2. Re: MovieClip Count and Continue Feed
            HappyHour-SC Level 1

Sorry Ned.  I really didn't know how to explain it.

All I am trying to do is have a single item (many different items listed) and simply drag drop an item. I have no idea how many "items or chairs" a person will want to drop on the stage, so I want to be able to have these items listed on top and the user just grabs a chair, put it in place and if they want another, grab another.

So when you say I can Click on a chair - make a copy, how do I do that? (this is on the finished product) Not the .fla

Would you also point me in the direction of the count variable? 

I meant to post a Thank you and Solved on my last discussion.

• 3. Re: MovieClip Count and Continue Feed

How you make a copy depends on which version of Actionscript you are using.  You should get that working, then maybe you will be able to see how to work in a count variable as you add chairs.

"I meant to post a Thank you and Solved on my last discussion. "  What's stopping you?

• 4. Re: MovieClip Count and Continue Feed
                HappyHour-SC Level 1

Ned,

I am not sure what you mean but saying get "that" working. I am working with CS5.5 which seems to do AS 1-3.

What is stopping me is: The forum is extremely slow.. it's taken me about 5 minutes to get to this point to reply. I'll take another 5 and post it.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: MovieClip Count and Continue Feed

Yes, CS5.5 supports using all versions of Actionscript.  Which are you using?  "that" is the chair bit you want to have happen.  I am not going to be making decisions for you, but I can offer some help as soon as you do.