5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2006 11:51 AM by Chicerjunge

Eclipse instead of FlexBuilder?

Level 7
      Hi..

I have been playing around with the FlexBuilder IDE but I find it clunky,
      unresponsive, buggy and crash prone. I have downloaded the free Eclipse IDE
      and I am curious how to integrate the Eclipse IDE with the free Flex SDK so
      that I can compile MXML pages and preview them in my browser instead of
      using the Flex Builder IDE.

Thanks

Rich

• 1. Re: Eclipse instead of FlexBuilder?
          ciwee_ufrj Level 1
          FlexBuilder IDE is not any of your adjectives.. And when you install it you can choose from installing as a Eclipse plug-in or the way you did. There's no difference man, FlexBuilder is always Eclipse based.
          • 2. Re: Eclipse instead of FlexBuilder?
            Level 7
            Hi --

> FlexBuilder IDE is not any of your adjectives..

I'm not sure what this means..

> choose from installing as a Eclipse plug-in or the way you did. There's no

If I install it as an Eclipse plug-in then is it still a demo that expires?

Rich

• 3. Re: Eclipse instead of FlexBuilder?
              ntsiii Level 3
              He means it is not "clunky, unresponsive, buggy and crash prone". Those words are "adjectives". If FB2 is that, then so is Eclipse.

But of course both his view and yours (and mine) are just opinions.

Yes, the plug-in will still be just a trial demo. When you buy FB2, you are paying for the integration pieces that you mention, among others.

Tracy
              • 4. Re: Eclipse instead of FlexBuilder?
                Level 7
                Hi --

Thank you for clerifying the "adjectives" sentence. I am/was not sure how
                much of the FB2 IDE was built "on top" of Eclipse and how much of it just
                uses pieces of the underlying Eclipse architecture.

Is it possible then, without FB2 to build and compile Flex apps in Eclipse?
                I understand that things such as the property viewer / component palette
                would not be available but I am fine with that as I started writing HTML
                code in Notepad way back in the days of Windows 95!

I am, ideally, looking for a way to integrate the Flex compiler included in
                the free SDK with the Eclipse IDE.

Thanks

Rich

"ntsiii" <tspratt@lariatinc.com> wrote in message
                news:ehm7jb$fmf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > He means it is not "clunky, unresponsive, buggy and crash prone". Those
                > words
                > are "adjectives". If FB2 is that, then so is Eclipse.
                >
                > But of course both his view and yours (and mine) are just opinions.
                >
                > Yes, the plug-in will still be just a trial demo. When you buy FB2, you
                > are
                > paying for the integration pieces that you mention, among others.
                >
                > Tracy
                >

• 5. Re: Eclipse instead of FlexBuilder?
                  Chicerjunge
                  I'd also be curious if it is possible to use the free SDK as a plugin for Eclipse. I don't suppose there is unless someone would create a plugin out of the SDK. I'm not sure if that is even legal.