5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 12:52 AM by ydjawannaknow

Indesign CS5.5 recent items list blank

ydjawannaknow

After upgrading to Design Premium CS5.5 I noticed the recent items list, that comes up when Indesign starts, is cleared whenever I restart my mac.

It's fine in all the other CS applications like Photoshop.

I'm running Snow Leopard and I think I have all the latest Adobe updates, Indesign is version 7.5.1

It may be unrelated, but when I ran the 5.5 update, it annoyingly left all the old CS5 versions intact, without giving me the option to remove/overwrite them.

So now I have two versions of Creative suite running alongside each other.

I would like to uninstall the old versions, but I'm worried that the CS5 uninstall script will remove assets shared by CS5.5 and mess up my system.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix the recent items list... or if I can safely remove CS5 without causing more problems?

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5.5 recent items list blank
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS5 and CS5.5 are separate installs. Uninstalling one will not affect the other. Or at least it shouldn't.

I don't know how to handle your issue with recent files - I don't work on a Mac.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5.5 recent items list blank
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There's nothing wrong with having multiple versions of ID installed, and most of us do that so we don't destroy the ability to work cooperatively with users of older versions. If you save a file in CS5.5, that's the only version that will open it from now until CS6 is released. The only way to -- sort of -- go backward is to export .idml, and .inx if you need to go back to CS3 or earlier.

I'm also a Windows user so I can't offer a specific cause for the open recent issue. Updating from 7.5.0 to 7.5.1 would have removed it, but subsequent restarts should not. I suspect a permissions problem with the InDesign SavedData file, or containing folder, in your user library is keeping it from being written properly. Do you have an open recent list if you open and cloe ID without resarting your Mac?

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5.5 recent items list blank
              ydjawannaknow Level 1

Yeah, if I close Indesign and reopen it, it's fine, the recent items are still in the list.

It's only shutting down the Mac completely that resets them, which is odd... so I don't think it's permissions ...at least not in an obvious way.

I don't need to share my Indesign files with anyone, I tend to send PDF's to the printers... and Photoshop seems to create backwards compatable files.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5.5 recent items list blank
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you repaired permissions on your Mac with Disk Utility?

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5.5 recent items list blank
                  ydjawannaknow Level 1

Steve Werner wrote:

Have you repaired permissions on your Mac with Disk Utility?

I tried that, but it didn't make any difference unfortunately.

Peter Spier wrote:

I suspect a permissions problem with the InDesign SavedData file, or containing folder, in your user library is keeping it from being written properly.

In light of your comment, I had a dig around and noticed something a little strange.

I had a look in...

Users>Me>Library>Application Support>Adobe>

...and noticed there were separate folders for the different versions of the CS applications, like: 'Adobe Photoshop CS5' and 'Adobe Photoshop CS5.1

But there is only one folder for InDesign CS5, despite two versions being installed.

Is this supposed to be this way? It seems odd that Indesign is the only one that is different.