3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2011 10:22 AM by David W. Goodrich

about created glyph template

song0985

When I created glyph template in Illustrator and added it to Adobe SING Glyphlet Manager, I can find the created glyph at Indesign glyph panel.

There's also glyph panel in Illustrator CS4 software, but the created glyph can not be displayed in CS4, is there any method to show it up?

• 1. Re: about created glyph template
          song0985 Level 1

help```

help```

help```

• 2. Re: about created glyph template
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In all honesty, SING is something that only some users of oriental languages have any need or knowledge of. Even our translation experts don't seem to know much about it in this forum. You might have better luck posting in the Japanese forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/international_forums/japanese/indesign

• 3. Re: about created glyph template
              David W. Goodrich Level 3

I think SING could be really useful for adding custom characters to existing fonts without the issues associated with actually opening those fonts up (EULA, obviously, but also the loss of Opentype "features").  In the specialized academic work I do, I frequently need unusual accents: typical examples include various dotted consonants for romanizing Sanskrit, tone-marked vowels for pinyin romanization of Chinese, breve-vowels for romanizing Korean, and phonetic symbols, as well as custom Chinese characters.  Adobe played up the East Asian aspect, and later let go Thomas Phinney, their type expert who had emphasized SING's value for alphabetic languages, and that global aspect withered on the vine.  We're supposed to be going electronic.  It is one thing to put a dot under an m in print, but searchable files need proper encoding and how many fonts include m-underdot (Unicode U+1E43)?  Even pinyin tones are rare.

The SING capability was never fully implemented in western-language InDesign.  However, Western versions of IDCS4 can read InDesign files containing SING "glyphlets," just as they can read in files using special layout features unique to East Asian versions.  But if song0985 were to search this forum for SING (now that searching seems to work again), I expect the hits would chiefly concern the problems SING causes some users.  Perhaps because of those problems, Adobe announced it was no longer including SING even with East Asian versions of InDesign CS5, as described on the ID forum back in February, though apparently western ID CS5 retains the ability to read files with SING glyphlets.  I'm sorry to see it go.

The February thread "fell off" the forum's first page without my noticing requests for further information.  Sorry about that.  If anyone is still interested, there is a SING "how to" from 2009, in English and Chinese, with several comments in English over on Adobe's CJK Type blog, and mine raise some non-CJK aspects.  Hua Gu's first comment, about the need for an East Asian version of ID to "embed" SING glyphlets, may address song0985's question.  I have more links if anybody wants them (though I'd need to refresh my memory before I could say anything very useful about SING's technical details).

David