1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 3:23 AM by James_233

Copying text containing variables

James_233 Level 1

Whenever I try to copy text containing a variable, InDesign crashes. So I have this text which I want to copy into an Excel spreadsheet:

_____

The revenue return per share is based on the revenue return attributable to shareholders of £9,755,000 profit (2009: £7,420,000 profit).

_____

The "2009" is my Year -1 variable. It will be 2010 next time around. Select any sentence with such a variable, click copy and InDesign crashes, whatever variable I choose.

I am using INDD CS5 Mac. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a workaround?

Thx

• 1. Re: Copying text containing variables
          James_233 Level 1

I have since found this helpful thread (don't know why it did not show up when I searched for variables):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3364097#3364097

so I switched off the Sangam extensions. I can copy without InDesign crashing, and can paste the text within InDesign, but these extensions are crucial for copying text to  another application, so I could not copy the stuff into Excel!

Because I need this text into Excel *now* I have converted the variables into text. There were quite a few variables, and this is a nuisance.

Adobe has been aware of this problem for some time, and I cannot understand why this bug has not been fixed. The sangam extensions belong to Adobe.