33 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 6:34 AM by LandmarkFoods

Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

LandmarkFoods Level 1

Please help! I created flyer in indesign and placed some PSD graphics into the indesign file.  However when those files are placed on top of a "dotted" line—after printed a white "dashed" line appears.  (the line does not appear in digital file at all—only in print file, so I had to post a crappy scan, but I think it gets the point across). 

Any insight to this issue?

Much Thanks!

Desiree

Line Example.jpg

• 1. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Doesn't look too good on top of the pork chop, either.

I think this is a transparency issue. Is that output from a desktop printer or a press or commercial copier?

What settings are you using to make the PDF? What sort of transparency or other effects are applied to the objects? I see drop shadows. Anything else? Is the shadow applied in ID or Photoshop?

• 2. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
            LandmarkFoods Level 1

The pork chop issue is just from the scan—it looks fine on the acutal digital and print version and there are no white dashed lines on the chicken cordon bleu etc.. in digital version (see below)

I am printing in-house on our commercial copier (Konica Minolta bizhub color copier).

Actually, thanks for bringing up that PDF question...I was printing directly from the indesign file.  I just printed a PDF version (File--> Adobe PDF Presets--> Hight Quality Print) and although the issue has improved greatly it still shows up very slightly (although our customers would not notice this,  I do, so I need to fix the issue)

All drop shadows were already on the file that I got from the specific vedor (example: Barber foods, McCain)... I just cut them out in photoshop and saved them as an unflat PSD and "placed" them in indesign.

Also, see "Export Adobe PDF" image below.. this is how I am converting it to a pdf from indesign.  For a high quality print, is this ok? (to either our commercial copier or press?)  I am a photoshop whiz, however self taught indesign so there are a ton of things I am not familiar with.

Thanks again.

Desiree

digital example.jpg

pdf settings.jpg

• 3. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
              LandmarkFoods Level 1

Also, I just noticed on the printed PDF, my black text is not a rich black anymore (like it was when I directly printed from the indesign file).  The text is more of a dulled black (or a very very dark grey).

• 4. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

Try exporting to PDF and use Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility. Let the Biz-hub do the flattening rather than forcing ID to do it via print.

What color was your type to start? What do you have set in your prefs for Appearance of Black?

• 5. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                  LandmarkFoods Level 1

In response to the eporting as a PDF and allow printer to flatten...

Thats what I did, and then ran into the "blacks not printing as rich as indesign file".  And I still had a little bit of that dashed line issue. (Not nearly as bad though).  But I still can't seem to get rid of that dashed line issue on top of the dotted line 100%... \=|

I think you're on to something with a "transparency issue"???

In response to the color of my type and appearance of black...

I think I'm checking this right...

Edit-->Preferences-->Appearance of Black:

It says: Options on RGB and Grayscale Devices

On Screen: Display All Blacks as Rich Black

Printing/Exporting: Output All  Blacks as Rich Black

Overprinting of [Black]

Overprint [Black] Swatch 100% --> is checked off

• 6. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

OK, displaying all blacks as rich black is a bad choice for anything going to print anwhere but on a non-postscript desktop printer (an RGB device) because it's a lie as far as what the black "really" looks like when ink hits paper. If the other setting is to output all blacks as rich black, printing to that RGB printer will give you rich blacks, but exorting to PDF or printing to a postscript device will give you accurate colors. I persoanlly use display accurately and output as rich black because doing so allows me to get solid black type on my monochrome laser, but has no effect whatever on exported PDF output or output sent to my color laser which is postscript, so I don't annoy the commercial printer when I send him files.

100% k, or the default [Black] swatch is not a really dark color. It will look gray and faded next to a black produced on 3 or 4 colors in photoshop, for example.

• 7. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

LandmarkFoods wrote:

Overprinting of [Black]

Overprint [Black] Swatch 100% --> is checked off

Do you mean it is disabled? If so, do you have a REALLY good reason for doing that?  It's on by default so that your type will overprint a colored background rather than knocking out and causing trapping issues (and guess what, small type, after trapping is overprinting most of the time anyway). Overprinting black just creates a localized rich black and makes it darker.

• 8. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                        LandmarkFoods Level 1

Sorry I mean it IS checked.

• 9. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

OK, good.

Did you try the export yet?

• 10. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                            LandmarkFoods Level 1

Working on it now.  Trying some trial and error things as well.  File is 20mb so each one takes a bit to print.  Thank you for all your patience.  May need to continue conversation tomrrow.

• 11. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                              LandmarkFoods Level 1

I changed my Appearance of Black to what you suggested

On Screen: Display All Blacks Accurately

Printing/Exporting: Output All  Blacks as Rich Black

Correct?

WELL..lol

Now my "adobe illustrator" placed files (our logo and some other vedor logos) just appear as Black Boxes (rich black lol)

And on the background I intended to be black it prints in a dark grey.

hmmmmmmmmmm curious. What am I doing wrong. \=)

In reference to the dotted line issue... maybe this will give you some sort of clue...

I've been working on the chicken cordon bleu pic and back-tracked a bit.

I cut the file out in photoshop so there would be no white background... I saved the file as both a PSD and a TIFF—both files are giving me that white dashed line.

Now just to experiment... I placed the original JPG with a white background instead and there is no white dashed line.  Something is getting lost in the mix.  Again, any idea on what I am doing wrong?

I am on my way out, but I will be back tomrrow morning.

Thanks again,

Desiree

• 12. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

I have no idea what's up with your Illustrator files.

I'm guessing you preseved transparency of the cutout area in both the PSD and TIFF files. JPEG does not support transparency, so those have a solid background.

As I said originally, this loks like a transparency flattening artifact, and exporting keepin gth transparency live is the way to solve it.

• 13. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                  LandmarkFoods Level 1

Now what your saying is to export the indesign file as a pdf and keep the transparency live.  Doesnt it do that automatically if I export it with PDF 1.4 or later? or is there some option I am missing.

• 14. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted something in your earlier post and thought you were printing to PDF, but you're exporting, then printing the PDF. MY bad.

So, presuming you've exported the PDF and the transparency is live (you are correct about that), it sounds like the problem could be in the BizHub. Do you have another printer available that you could pull a sample on from the same PDF for comparison?

How are you making those dotted lines with the white outer stroke around the black dot?

• 15. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                      LandmarkFoods Level 1

No worries =)

Yes, we have another Konica machine,however it is a BW copier and I wouldn't be able to tie it up with my flyer until after hours—I will try later today (great suggestion btw). Even though it won't be in color, I will still be able to see if dashed lines show up.

Those dotted lines were created in indesign just as a text line of all periods (.) with a white outter stroke.

I'm faced with two evils:

If I print directly from the indesign file—thats when I got the dashed line issue, but better color

If I export to PDF and print—thats when I run into the blacks not printing in rich black and I get just a faint dashed line (customers won't notice, but I do, and I can't in all good conscience leave it like that!) ^_^

But we will put this convo on hold until I print my file on the BW copier later this afternoon.

Until then! 

• 16. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                        LandmarkFoods Level 1

btw I would prefer to print directly from indesign since my text comes out crisper as well.

• 17. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

If you want rich black, you should make a rich black swatch and use it. Try 40, 30, 30, 100 for starters and see how it fuses on the BizHub.

• 18. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

LandmarkFoods wrote:

btw I would prefer to print directly from indesign since my text comes out crisper as well.

There should be no difference in the quality of text direct from ID or from the PDF (unless you have rich black or colored text and it's out of register, in which case all bets are off, but out of register rich black from ID would be fuzzy compared to 100K from PDF).

• 19. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                              LandmarkFoods Level 1

Wow the 40,30,30,100 did make a difference but it is still printing in a dull black.

Dont yell at me, but I did try to print with a registration black and it printed wonderfully, however I do know thats a no-no lol... so I am experiementing with different combos on the cmyk.  I will keep you posted.

Thx.

• 20. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                MT.Freelance Level 4

I notice you are using a canned preset. Have you tried creating your own PDF preset that uses a more advanced PDF version.

For instance, I have a 'No Conversion' PDF preset that exports to Acrobat 7 compatibiltiy (better transparency support If I recall than Acrobat 5 compatible files)

Also, it does not convert the document colors, leaving that to the printer.

It is based on the [Press Quality] preset

I've had very good results with this preset when printing to a variety of printers, including a BW HP Laserjet printer, a Color HP Laserjet printer, a BW Ricoh MF Copier, and a Color Canon Imagerunner MF Copier.

NewPDFPreset.png

That doesn't answer why you are experiencing knockout issues with the black dotted rule that is behind placed images when printing from InDesign, but I've mostly strayed away from printing direct from the InDesign file in the past few years. I usually export to PDF and print from that file.

• 21. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                  LandmarkFoods Level 1

Gotcha.  I made the changes you suggested and I am still getting the same issue as far as richness is concerned.  But thanks for the sugestion. =)

• 22. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

Try 60, 50, 50, 100 or your rich black, but I don't think I'd go much beyond that or you'll have issues with it flaking off, especially on heavier stocks.

• 23. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                      MT.Freelance Level 4

Okay, another (probably bad) suggestion: Make a new 'rich black' swatch and change all your problem objects to use the new swatch.

This screenshot is using a mix of C=20 M=10 Y=10 K=100 that I threw together for a sample. The left block is the 'rich black' and the right is 100% K only. InDesign displayed both as the same color, but when exported to PDF, the difference was visible (from which the screenshot was captured).

Screen shot 2011-09-28 at 1.08.33 PM.png

Other mixes I've found referenced elsewhere are:

C=80 M=80 Y=70 K=90

C=35 M=45 Y=35 K=100

C=45 M=35 Y=35 K=100

If you were using an outside vendor, I'd suggest getting in contact with them to find out what their preferred blend is. Otherwise, since you seem ot be doing things in-house, you can make a test page with a variety of mixes to determine which one produces the level of black that you want from your Konica.

If you are using a Mac, you may be able to locate an applescript code on the forums which will allow you to globally change all objects using the [Black] swatch with another swatch in your list.

YMMV

-mt

And Peter responded while I was messing around. Lots of combinations.

Aaannnd.. perhaps I should have read the remainder of the posts instead of jumping into this... ^_~

Hope it all helps get this resolved for you, anyway!

Message was edited by: MT.Freelance

• 24. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                        LandmarkFoods Level 1

MT.Freelance

We used to use a printing company, but now we are doing a lot of things in-house (unfortunately).  We have our printer company print several of the projects I do here (like our yearly planners) and all colors come out fine =)  But I will contact them and see what they suggest as well.

Peter & MT.Freelance

I had to go ahead and print the file as is with the dull black, but I will try your suggestion of doing a test page with a variety of mixes.

The whole white line thing on my indesign print file is still driving me nuts though! lol.  I am still going to try to print on another machine Peter and try to rule that out, or see if it is the machine that is the problem (HOPEFULLY! So I know i'm not crazy lol)

But I do think it is something on my end as far as the placed photoshop image is concerned—since a JPG prints fine over those dotted lines.  Maybe I am doing something wrong in saving the knocked out PSD image in photoshop.

• 25. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                          LandmarkFoods Level 1

So I printed to our other copier (however it is only a black and white copier) and the white dashed line issue does not exist... dont know if the whole black and white thing would effect this bc there is less information without the color???

Also I am printing on my color copier using PCL, my company is going to install the PS driver for me tomorrow.  Maybe this could fix the dashed line issue with more detail?  I dunno, this is driving me nuts. \=|

• 26. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                            MT.Freelance Level 4

Oh! PCL driver with Postscript app. Fun! At least you do not get hundreds of

pages of code instead of a printout! Our old Ricoh and HP laserjet spat out

garbage prints from InDesign when not using a postscript driver on our Macs.

• 27. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                              LandmarkFoods Level 1

lol.  w00t!

We don't have a mac here.  I've worked on both mac and pc and havent really had any issues while working on pc.  Although, I would feel like one of the cool kids if we did get one.   Maybe I'll pitch it to my boss lol.  Wait no, we are still working on cs3 lol! nm 

• 28. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                                LandmarkFoods Level 1

Just a follow up to my dashed line print issue.  My company installed the PS driver for me.  It got rid of my dotted line issue! AND my blacks are printing rich black!!!!!

BUT all the rest of the colors are so dark now! LOL  all the food looks so depressing.  I will tweak and play thought.  But I’m glad the first 2 issues were resolved!  Thanks for all your help and ideas!

Much Thanks!

• 29. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

First, please remove the personal info and disclaimer from your email reponses. It all winds up on the web.

Second, adjusting the images should be pretty easy in Photoshop, if necessary, but it  may just be a problem with profile assignment. What color settings do you use (Edit > Color Settings...)? They may not be preserving embedded profiles, in which case you can reassign the correct ones, if you know them, and fix the color settings so that doesn't happen in the future.

• 30. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                                    LandmarkFoods Level 1

For some reason I can’t respond via forum???  (This is why I am replying/replied via email, sorry about this) Just deleted disclaimer etc—not sure if our email addys are showing up???  Really sorry.

Again, I can’t respond via forum (I am logged in btw).

See below for my color settings.  I am assuming I should changed the CMYK to “Preserve Embedded Profiles”  =)

InDesign Color Settings.jpg

• 31. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign

Bad news is you can't attach an image to email.

Try logging out, then delete any cookies for Adobe.com and Adobeforums.com, close the browser, and then try logging in again.

• 32. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                                        Jobokai13 Level 1

Ok I know this is an old post, so not trying to beat a dead horse or anything.

From the thread there really was no solution to the dotted line problem so here's what I've found:

You need to rasterize the image. There should be an option to have the background as transparent and that should get rid of the lines.

Hopefully this helps someone trying to figure this problem out for future reference!

• 33. Re: Dashed line showing up on placed psd in indesign
                                                                          LandmarkFoods Level 1

No worries!  I appriciate the response. 

Fortunately, the lease on our copiers ended a few months after this thread and we leased new copiers.  The problem has stopped since the new copiers were installed.  But again, thank you for the response and hopefully it does help someone with a similar issue in the future! 

Cheers!

Desiree