6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 12:29 PM by Peter Spier

Working with tables

Support Network

Creating a catalog and the current data exist in an Excel spreadsheet, where I am painstaking adding the content into a table by reentering the content one cell at a time, by hand. If I use the COPY/PASTE function across a series of cells and to fill with the same content, it only paste into one cell and not the selected cells, why? Perhaps there is a better way?

Please help.

• 1. Re: Working with tables
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, Place the portion of the Excel file into InDesign. I believe that when placing you can choose which cell ranges ot place. Copy and paste may then work is you select the same number of rows and columns when copying from one InDesign table to another InDesign table.

• 2. Re: Working with tables
            Support Network Level 1

Actually, I have the table setup in InDesign and then I am manually entering the data content; it’s when I have the same content, such as size, therefore I want to perform a copy then paste in a column of cells that it will not paste for multiple cells, it only paste in one cell.  Perhaps this will provide you with a better idea on what I need to achieve, view TYPE or SIZE where they are the same.

Tina Dravecky Ι Marketing Ι Direct No.: 224-361-2229

• 3. Re: Working with tables
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please remove personal information when replying by email. All responses are posted to the web.

If you copy multiple cells and want to paste into multiple cells you must selct the correct number before pasting, as Steve mentioned. This allows you to nest tables inside tables.

• 4. Re: Working with tables
                wjnp2000 Level 2

You have to copy the complete cell to paste in various cells, not just the content. Otherwise you only copy to one cell in speti of all selection.

• 5. Re: Working with tables
                  Support Network Level 1

Need to correct myself. Forget about the Excel sheet.

ISSUE: When entering data into a table column that has the same content for the next 50 rows, the COPY/PASTE function will not paste to all highlighted cells within the column; it only paste to the first cell and not all, why? Am I doing something wrong?

• 6. Re: Working with tables
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Different question entirely.

I don't know if there's a plugin that would help, but ID is not a spreadshet and it doesn't do that.